Monday Blues

by Cate on April 5, 2005

Did you get a chance to catch Grey’s Anatomy on TV yesterday? It’s a brand new show — yesterday was only the second episode. If you haven’t seen it yet, do give it a try. I don’t recognize any of the actors as “big names” except Sandra Oh (of recent Sideways fame) and Patrick Dempsey. The premise is a bunch of interns in a hospital and their basic trials and tribulations. It’s similar to ER, just not as adrenaline-pumped. It has quiet little victories throughout that keep you hooked. Ok, on with the show… (no pun intended) ;) …

Today was one of those boring cooking days. I was planning on making Gooey Baked Spaghetti for dinner. I mean, how can you not gravitate toward a dish with that title, huh? But when I got home, the cleaning lady was still here, and I didn’t want to start messing up the kitchen while she was here. I have to at least wait until she leaves to start making a mess again. So, I decided it was a good opportunity to do some freezer cooking. We’re going to be putting our house on the market sometime this Spring, and with three full freezers (you’re not really surprised, are you?), I am consciously working on trying to empty them. So, we had Pad Thai, one of the MRE (Meals Ready to Eat) frozen jobbies from BJ’s. It was actually pretty tasty, with quite a kick, and on the table in under 30 minutes – suits my purposes for tonight.

In an effort to redeem myself and do some “real cooking,” I whipped up a batch of Chocolate Crinkles. Now don’t go unsubscribing from my blog once you see it calls for a boxed-cake mix. Hey, sometimes ya gotta take the help where you can, right? And besides, Sandra Lee has certainly built a career out of making meals from boxes and mixes, right? Anyway, the cookies were pretty tasty and now packaged up for my son to take to school tomorrow. And, Gwen, if you’re reading this, a few of them are winging their way to you.

Chocolate Crinkles
1 package Devil’s Food cake mix
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1/4 cup sugar

Heat oven to 350. In large bowl, mix cake mix, oil and eggs with spoon until dough forms. Shape dough into 1-inch balls, roll in sugar. On greased cookie sheets, place balls about 2 inches apart. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until set. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Yields about 4 dozen cookies.

Jennifer April 5, 2005 at 1:43 am

*laugh* I baked from a box yesterday too. I was so scared to go to the store and buy it. I would have been so embarassed if I had gotten caught!

Stephanie April 5, 2005 at 3:51 am

I’m vaguely curious about the show…one of the actors from “Roswell” is on it, too; Kristen Heigel.

Cate April 5, 2005 at 1:58 pm

Jennifer, no need to be embarassed – plenty of people bake from boxes; nothing wrong with it. I just try not to do it too much so I can decide on my own how much sugar, etc. going into our diets. Stephanie, do give the show a try! I think you’ll like it. :)

T April 5, 2005 at 3:24 pm

oh i love that show! its so addictive, and way better than ER in my opinion (though I was a big ER fan during its first two seasons)

Anonymous April 7, 2005 at 9:21 pm

I must admit, I’ve become a from “scratcher” (does this term exist? I just made it up) …but…some of my favorite recipes do include a box (have I given you my whiskey cake recipe??). In fact, my grandma (she’s 94!) is one of the best bakers I know and after making a cookbook with all of her famous recipes, I found that most of them include a box. I call it the “ready made” generation. Regardless, it tastes great and cuts down on the work.

I can’t wait to receive my package…thanks so much, you’re spoiling me!! :)

xoxo,
gz

Anonymous April 7, 2005 at 9:23 pm

btw-I LOVE Grey’s Anatomy…already hooked!!

Cate April 8, 2005 at 3:21 am

Hey there – never heard of this magical whiskey cake. Recipe, please!

Anonymous April 9, 2005 at 11:29 pm

Hey…my food motto is consistent and simple…”bourbon makes it better!” I’ll email you the whiskey cake recipe right now…you must try it asap b/c it is THAT good! It’s from a cookbook I received at my bridal shower called “any b.i.t.c.h. can cook” In this case, bitch stands for “babe in total control of her self”!
xoxo,