The Husband Cooks Tuesdays?

by Cate on September 7, 2005

Came home from work today and followed a trail of red roses from the bottom steps by our driveway all the way up to the front door, continuing inside to the kitchen. And there in the kitchen, The Husband stood cooking dinner. Not a bad way to come home at the end of a long day! One of the local grocery stores had filet mignon on sale for $4.99, so when I was there over the weekend, I bought a beef tenderloin for them to slice up. The Husband made filet mignon with yellow rice for dinner and continued the rose theme … everywhere I looked in the house, there were roses. No complaints here!

Now most days when The Husband cooks, I still feel the “itch” to do something in the kitchen, so I made dessert, choosing an Oatmeal Cake. A new recipe for me, it’s ooey gooey goodness that will definitely be repeated. Yum, yum, yum, triple yum. Again, a dangerous recipe to have around the house, so I called up The Neighbor and gave away a bunch of it. Nicholas was happy, of course, because it meant another chance to see his girlfriend. ;)

Nicholas and Bella, our dog, both survived their first day in school, although it was quite a feat to get them both out of the house on time this morning. The fun begins again tomorrow. Tune in for The Husband Cooks Wednesdays! Until then…

The Best Ever Oatmeal Cake

1-1/4 cups water
1 stick of margarine
1 cup uncooked oatmeal (quick cooking oatmeal)
2 eggs
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp soda
1 tsp vanilla
1-1/3 cups flour

Bring to boil water and margarine. Add oatmeal. Take off heat and cover; let set 20 minutes. Stir together other ingredients. Add to oat mixture. Pour into greased 9×13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.

Topping:
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup Angel Flake coconut
1 cup chopped nuts
1 stick melted margarine
1 tsp vanilla
2 egg yolks

Before cake is done, make topping. Spread over hot cake and put back in oven about 7-10 minutes until top is bubbly and golden brown.

Mona September 7, 2005 at 3:12 am

Wow, what a fun dinner you had! My dad and I just went out for a nice local casual dinner at New Canaan’s Cherry Street East. No roses were involved…
That oatmeal cake looks awesome, and so easy! We always have tons of the quaker oatmeal cylinders lying around, my mom just eats oatmeal the old school way (heated up plain with some boiling water) and I’m sure she’d love it a la cake version! Thanks for the tip!

Stephanie September 7, 2005 at 3:29 am

How sweet!

Before I die, I hope to be treated to the full-on rose scenario…just once, and I swear I’ll be happy.

joey September 7, 2005 at 7:08 am

The rose petals bit was so incredibly sweet! You lucky thing!

And that oatmeal cake looks all gooey and sticky and wonderful…yum! :-)

Punky September 7, 2005 at 3:53 pm

Your husband is such a sweetheart. Is he teaching any “good husband” classes anytime soon? I want my fiance to know that he is welcome to do these kinds of things once we are married.

amateur September 7, 2005 at 6:26 pm

Wow, that cake looks wonderful. I just printed off the recipe and may be making a run to the store tonight to make it!
Thanks for all the great, easy-to-do recipes you always provide.

Cate September 8, 2005 at 2:14 am

Amateur – thanks for visiting! Let me know if you make the cake. :)

Punky – LOL. I’ve learned that they really can’t read your mind, so the more clues you give them, the better!

Stephanie — we’re gonna have to work on Matt! Happy, happy birthday!

Mona and Joey – do try the cake. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

Anna September 8, 2005 at 12:38 pm

Sweetnicks, that oatmeal cake is also good with cream cheese icing.

s'kat September 8, 2005 at 3:04 pm

What a sweet thing to come home to! Dinner looked good, the cake looks like it could be breakfast!

Cate September 9, 2005 at 12:47 am

Thanks for the tip, Anna! You might want to check out the cookies I posted tonight – delicious!

S’kat – dinner was great. The oatmeal cake might be a little too sweet for breakfast, but why the heck not?