Delurk If You Dare

by Cate on May 25, 2006

Like luring a mouse out of a hole with a piece of cheese, all it took for The Neighbors to come on down was to mention my new drink of choice, the Frozen Lemonade Cocktail. So frosty and slushy and refreshing, and so, so good. We’ll definitely be making this one again and again.

We ended up getting Chinese takeout tonight, but for a predinner munchie, I made a new recipe from Coastal Living magazine, Black Bean Dip. It took just minutes to whir the ingredients together in the food processor. Delicious, healthy, and another keeper for us. Do try it – you won’t be disappointed.

Now for tonight’s post title… Delurk If You Dare. I’m pretty obsessive about tracking things on my site. I know how many people visit here daily, what the busiest hours of the day are, which days of the week get the most people, what keywords new visitors use to find me and infinite other nitty gritty details. TONS of you come here every day to get a glimpse into our kitchen and our lives – now it’s your turn to delurk just for a moment, I promise. Give me a glimpse. Leave me a comment and tell me what your guiltiest food pleasure is. Whether it be healthy or decadent, totally processed or completely organic, let me know. The most amount of comments I’ve received on a post was 43 when I ran the Weekend Dog Blogging/Food Related contest a while back. Let’s see if we can top that … hey, The Neighbor Husband delurked yesterday and left a comment, and if HE can do it, so can you. If you’ve never left a comment before, but come here regularly, this is your big opportunity to give back. And if you have commented before, I still want to hear from you. Waiter Rant gets an average of over 100 comments a day – I know we can best that. C’mon guys, holla back and rock the comments section. I know you can do it. Your guiltiest pleasure? I’ll share mine tomorrow. Until then…

A year ago todayand speaking of guilty pleasures…

Black Bean Dip
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup olive oil
1-1/2 tablespoons cumin
1 tablespoon lime juice
dash of hot sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt

Mix in food processor and serve with chips or your favorite raw vegetables.

Robyn1007 May 25, 2006 at 2:47 am

Hi Cate! Do I really get to be the first? My biggest guilty pleasure is a tortilla with butter (or spray butter) and sugar or brown sugar. It was a childhood treat that I can’t give up!

Cate May 25, 2006 at 2:51 am

You are lucky #1 and so fast too! Tortilla with butter and sugar? That’s a new one on me, but I’ll have to try it. Mmmm, reminds me of Cinnamon Toast growing up… let the cravings begin!

Tanna May 25, 2006 at 3:03 am

Well, right now my craving is for one of those beautiful pink Frozen Lemonade Cocktails. I’ve got the black bean dip ready but I’m missing the Lemonade Cocktail. Come on now. A longer standing craving…I don’t know, I guess it would have salt in it. Frito’s some kind of chips. Yeah, Frito’s with the black bean dip but it would need that Frozen Lemonade Cocktail.

PatL May 25, 2006 at 3:15 am

definitely hot restaurant tortilla chips with lots of salt. immediately followed by blue corn chips with lots of salt. are we seeing a pattern here?

Claire May 25, 2006 at 3:51 am

I really enjoy your blog. Such interesting looking food and the precious accounts of your days with Nicholas! My guilty pleasure is strawberry pie! I don’t have it much but made it recently for a dinner/prayer group and had the leftover piece for breakfast the next day!!! MMMM!!!

La Vida Dulce May 25, 2006 at 5:03 am

Love your blog! I know it sounds silly but my favorite guilty pleasure is also a flour tortilla. I like mine heated right over the flame of the gas stove burner, and wrapped around a piece of cheese, not melted, just warmed up from the heat of the tortilla. Nothing tastes better, whether late at night watching Letterman or Conan, or for a quick breakfast running out the door. Your Frozen Lemonade Cocktail sounds like a good chaser!

Anonymous May 25, 2006 at 5:13 am

I shall delurk! I enjoy reading your blog on a daily basis. My biggest guilty pleasure is a tie between ice cream and peanut butter, both eaten simply on a spoon, haha.

Catherine May 25, 2006 at 5:53 am

Love it! Perhaps there should be an official Delurk week! C’mon … folks… leave a comment! Sweetnicks is an Angel ‘cos she does an awesome job promoting antioxidant rich foods! Her blog is an inspiration to us all! So say hello!

Anonymous May 25, 2006 at 5:53 am

Cheese. in any way, shape or form.

sha May 25, 2006 at 7:04 am

It would totally be Poutine – Turkey Gravy over mozzarella cheese curds and thick cut Fries. It’s a rare but beloved treat.

Anonymous May 25, 2006 at 10:12 am

Ok-fair is fair. I have breakfast with your blog nearly everyday. Thanks for the great company. Guilty pleasure? Grilled cheese sandwiches late at night (yes really!)

JJ

Angela Martínez May 25, 2006 at 10:56 am

I’m one of those lurkers! My favorite guilty pleasure is leftover white rice with a fried egg over top, heavily salted and peppered with a heap of sliced avacado on the side- for breakfast, of course.
Not quite all that guilty, I suppose, but it’s one of those things that I seem to eat alone because everyone else thinks it’s so bizzare.

linda in st louis May 25, 2006 at 11:38 am

Hi Cate! My #1 guilty pleasure is ice cream—no I don’t even make it, just regular store-bought ice cream. I could lose 10 pounds if I’d eliminate ice cream from my diet.

Erika May 25, 2006 at 12:59 pm

Hmm…A Guilty pleasure…has to be Hostess Cupcakes. The chocolate ones with cream filling, chocolate frosting, and the white swirlies on top. I don’t have them often, but they always make me smile and think of the warm summer I spent in Boston.

And yes, I COULD eat an entire box in one sitting.

rpm May 25, 2006 at 1:06 pm

Just to say I’m glad Howard won Top Chef! You have the cutest boy and dog!

emily May 25, 2006 at 1:52 pm

I don’t really get guilty about my pleasures…I just eat, enjoy and work out a ton later. =) I really love queso dip and guacamole. Those 2 things are coming to mind first, maybe because of the previous posts re: tortillas. Yum.

Anonymous May 25, 2006 at 3:06 pm

WOW! look at all the comments. Way to go guys. Let’s keep it going. By the way, the Lemonade Cocktail is AWESOME. I could use one right now.

The Neighbor (wife)

Sam May 25, 2006 at 3:11 pm

I have way too many guilty pleasures. White toast with thick wedges of half melted salty butter is about my favourite thing. Talking of which, breakfast calls….

Sylvie May 25, 2006 at 3:17 pm

My food pleasure is bacon ends
(the mostly fatty part the butcher packages after near perfect slices are removed), microwaved to a near crisp then put bewteen a slice of bread with a slice of cheddar cheese on a second slice. This is toasted to melt the cheese and made into a sandwich. Heaven (or thats where I’m going with all that fat).

t May 25, 2006 at 4:15 pm

guilty pleasure? fresh peas, raw, eaten right out of the pod (preferably still warm from the sun). only guilty because of the quantities eaten and the cost… but oh-so-good.

faygs May 25, 2006 at 4:17 pm

Hmm, definitely a big bowl of pasta with melted margarine and plain old tomato sauce. I used to eat it as a kid and I still love it!

Anonymous May 25, 2006 at 4:50 pm

Delurking! My biggest guilty pleasure is cheese- any kind & with anything..and any time of day or night. Yummo!
I read your blog just about everyday & always come away with a smile – keep it up!

amateur May 25, 2006 at 4:51 pm

Since you asked so nicely I just thought I’d say hi. You are one of my “avoiding work” reads that gives me inspiration for dinners! I can’t really name one guilty pleasure, although lately I’ve been in a HUGE chocolate chip cookie binge. Well, I’ll keep coming back for a does of your cooking!

Backyard Chef May 25, 2006 at 7:18 pm

Wow, just one guilty pleasure? There are just too many, though I did eat a pint of Haagen Dasz cherry vanilla the other day– at first I put it back in the freezer and just took some. Then I realized, “ah, who am I kidding” and just took the whole thing.

French fries, frosting, mozzarella sticks, ribs, brisket…oh, too many to list.

Love the site– you must live in a world where there’s 34 hours in a day, huh?

Ivonne May 25, 2006 at 7:27 pm

I’m delurking and I want some of that drink!

Amy May 25, 2006 at 8:00 pm

Wait a second… Am I missing something? You gave us the recipe for Black Bean Dip and not Frozen Lemonade Cocktail????

Sarah May 25, 2006 at 8:19 pm

Oh Cate, I don’t think I could choose just ONE!!!

Let’s see, sushi, anything chocolately and sweet, onion straws….I could go on and on.

Jaime May 25, 2006 at 9:32 pm

Delurking!! Love your blog, but am trying to wean myself away during work! My guilty pleasure is the vegan chocolate cupcakes from Whole Foods. I’m not vegan or vegetarian, but they are dense and chocolatey in a way unlike any other cupcake I’ve ever had. It takes extreme effort to not go peek at them every time I go in!

SusanV May 25, 2006 at 9:45 pm

Oooh, I need to do this on my blog! I get tons of hits but hardly any comments. Kind of hurts my feelings!

Okay, my two guilty pleasures are mundane: (1)toast with margarine and (2)anything chocolate.

doodles May 25, 2006 at 10:12 pm

whoa!!!! as many have mentioned I have more than one guilty pleasure. I think it depends on the mood at the moment or the day or the week. This week it is oatmeal, rasin, black walnut cookies. Couple weeks ago it was chocolate truffles…..but good ones. I waiting for that guilty pleasure to return soon.
Your blog is wonderful and fun Cate……thanks for sharing!

Anonymous May 25, 2006 at 11:09 pm

I read your blog almost everyday and really enjoy it. I found you through the Cooking Light BB where I also lurk. My present guilty please is Edy’s Expresso Chip ice cream. I try not to have it in the house too often.

Anonymous May 25, 2006 at 11:25 pm

delurking! i really enjoy your blog! don’t have just one guilty pleasure…too many! chocolate croissants, chocolate chip cookies, scones, biscotti, chocolate eclairs, lemon tart, chocolate pecan pie, ice cream, gelato, chocolate mousse, crumpets, muffins, chocolate cake, truffles, chocolate-dipped strawberries, potato chips, french fries, pizza, pasta, root beer, ginger ale…at least i can have some dark chocolate twice a week!

Anonymous May 25, 2006 at 11:31 pm

Must have the Frozen Lemonade Cocktail recipe for the upcoming holiday weekend. Please share! Guilty pleasure…chocolate chip cookie dough…right out of the wrapper…YUM!

Becca May 26, 2006 at 12:58 am

I can’t believe how much you are tracking…one day I’d love to know how to do that…lol. Now for the indulgence…I can’t just pick ONE….so let’s see:

pizza, brownies, grilled peanut butter w/ chocolate chips sandwich, more pizza, more brownies, and more peanut butter….lol

By the way…I love the direction your blog has taken. I have been reading from the beginning and haven’t missed an “episode” … if only MY blog could be this good…hehe. Keep up the good work!!

Anonymous May 26, 2006 at 1:21 am

I love lurking on your blog – such yummy recipes. My guilty pleasure – Mexican food – real TexMex – enchiladas, chile rellenos, rice, beans, chips and hot sauce – YUM!! I enjoy reading about the different foods you prepare and eat out. Some are very different from what we eat here in Texas. Keep up the good work!

Elizabeth May 26, 2006 at 2:42 am

Delurking to say that I can’t go a day without visiting your blog :) My #1 guilty pleasure is in the oven right now- Nigella’s molten chocolate cakes (to be served with a scoop of Haagen Daaz toffee ice cream). Delicious!

Cate May 26, 2006 at 3:23 am

Tanna – you’ve got to try the Frozen Lemonade Cocktail – you won’t be disappointed. I’m with you on Fritos – love them!

PatL – I much prefer salt over sweet myself – great minds think alike.

Claire – thank you so much for your kind words, and for visting.
‘Tis certainly the season for strawberry pie. :)

La Vida Dulce – that sounds divine. Sometimes simple really IS the way to go.

Anonymous – my Mom loves peanut butter plain with a spoon too. Me, Nutella!

Catherine – you are too sweet! I’m all for a Delurk Week. :)

Anonymous – growing up with a Parisian mother, the cheese plate is always standard, and still a favorite. Mmmm, Brie, Camembert, Port Salut, Cheddar (but room temp), yum!

sha – I’ve heard of Poutine, but never had of. Sounds scrumptious.

Anonymous/JJ – grilled cheese and EXTRA crispy bacon. Delish.

Angela Martínez – rice for breakfast? That’s a new one on me, but that’s what cravings are all about. :)

linda in st louis- The Neighbor Husband is a major addict of Haagen Dazs’ Caramel Cone, and The Husband … chocolate.

Erika – brings back fond memories of growing up and finding a Hostess in our lunchbox. My Dad still loves them.

Ragus Pug’s mama – Thanks so much! I totally agree on Harold – thank goodness!

emily – good for you! No guilt, I like it. And I’m with you on the Mexican theme – haven’t met a Mexican food I didn’t like…

Cate May 26, 2006 at 3:35 am

The Neighbor Wife – but where is The Neighbor Husband? ;)

Sam – sounds truly decadent!

Sylvie – oh man, you’re killing me!

t – I’m impressed – a healthy guilty pleasure!

faygs – yes! I love plain, buttered noodles – delicious stuff.

Anonymous – thanks so much. :) Another cheese fiend – gotta love it!

amateur – happy to be a diversion for you. :o)

Backyard Chef – LOL, I’d LOVE a 34-hour day, are you kidding?

Ivonne – do make it and report back. ;)

Amy – silly, the link was there on Tuesday, but it’s up again tonight. No excuses now, drink up!

Sarah Caron – oh onion straws, how could we forget those. Yum-o.

Jaime – thanks for delurking, and for the heads up on WF’ cupcake. I’ll have to search them out next time I’m there.

SusanV – all about the simple pleasures, right?

doodles – thanks! I definitely agree it has to do on mood. One week, I can’t get enough of something, the next week, it’s something else… those cookies sound good – recipe?

Anonymous that Expresso Chip ice cream sounds yummy – I’ll be keeping my eye out for it.

Anonymous – so I sense that you like chocolate.

Anonymous – link is on my post today and Tuesday. Let me know if you make it.

Becca – drop me a line if you want the tracking info. It’s completely free. One code tracks a ton of stuff, and it’s really pretty interesting. Glad you like the blog – wait ’till you see what’s coming!

Anonymous – really? That different than Texas? I’m always intrigued by regional dishes … what we call subs here are heroes and grinders elsewhere; what might be readily available here, other parts of the country have never heard of. Sounds like a topic for another post. :)

Elizabeth – glad to have you visit. Now you must give up the recipe for Nigella’s molten chocolate cakes – sounds insanely good. CL has a really good one, Chocolate Decadence, but am happy to do a side-by-side comparison. ;)

doodles May 26, 2006 at 12:01 pm

Cate……i’t the recipe on the Quaker Oats package…..the very best recipe going for those cookies. And I am bad as I cannot leave well enough alon so I add walnuts or pecans and raisins or not there again depending on the mood….lol
if you like oatmeal ya gotta try this cause it is yummy…..my sister came up with.http://pbetouffee.blogspot.com/2006/03/who-cares-if-its-good-for-you-it-taste.html

let me know what ya think

Anonymous May 26, 2006 at 1:48 pm

Another lurker here, finally ready to delurk! I so enjoy your blog and look forward each day to reading about your adventures.
My most recent guilty pleasure is the limited edition 3 Musketeers and thank goodness they’re the mini size ones! They include french vanilla and mocha cappucino. YUMMMMMY!
Tammy

Marianne May 26, 2006 at 8:15 pm

Hi there, Cate! You are so close to beating your own record, I had to chime in.

As for guilty pleasures, there isn’t much I feel really guilty about, but I eat way too much bread with butter and honey when the bread is fresh baked.

Madeline May 26, 2006 at 8:57 pm

Mine is melted velveeta cheese with medium salsa and couple drops hot sauce mixed in, with tortilla chips of course. I am way more into salt than sugar!

Jade May 27, 2006 at 12:02 am

That lemonade cocktail looks very good.

Maybe we should organize a de-lurking day for food blogs? I know I’ve lurked here before. You know, we aren’t all witty enough to pipe up all the time. :)

My favorite guilty pleasure is probably these insane brownies I make some times. (No herbs added, for those who would ask). Just lots of chocolate, plus coconut, plus chocolate chips. Very naughty. Which reminds me that I haven’t made them in far too long.

Nick May 27, 2006 at 12:52 am

First time reader here, but I thought I’d de-lurk for a bit. Nice site here, I like the incorporation of the design with the overall format. Lots of links to checkout from here

Nick May 27, 2006 at 12:54 am

Oh yeah, favorite guilty food pleasure:
Chipotle Burritos

Cate May 27, 2006 at 3:36 am

Hey, Mrs. Canada! Thanks for helping push it forward. :) Fresh baked bread smells insanely good, doesn’t it?

Madeline – I’m with you. I invariably choose salt over sweet.

Jade – Wittiness is certainly not a requirement for commenting. ;) I think a Delurk Day would be great!

Nick – thanks for dropping by. Wait ’till you see the redesign that’s coming. :)