Beckoning Fall

by Cate on August 22, 2006

Fall is, hands down, without question, my favorite season of the year. Whether it’s pumpkin or apple picking with Nicholas, the smell of warm apple cider or the crisp air, the technicolor leaf display that Mother Nature puts on for us or the anticipation of Halloween, I can’t wait until it arrives.

For tomorrow’s breakfast tray for my client, I decided to do a little early beckoning of the season with a favorite tried-and-true, Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins. Achingly easy to make, they taste divine fresh from the oven, split open and smeared with a little bit of softened butter … mmmm. Coupled with fresh croissants and an assortment of jams, it’s a perfect way to start their morning.

Until tomorrow…

A year ago today … my sleeping baby, and some good new recipes to boot.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
1-1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
pinch of nutmeg
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350. In large bowl, mix together dry ingredients. Add eggs, pumpkin, butter and chocolate chips. Stir until well blended. Spoon into muffin pans, filling about 3/4 full. Bake 20-25 minutes. Makes about 12 muffins.

Cyndi August 22, 2006 at 2:47 am

These look fabulous – I’ve gotta try this flavor combination. Cate – can I get back on your blogroll?

Claire August 22, 2006 at 3:42 am

Mmmm…I’m definitely going to try these when it gets cooler around here. We’re still hitting 100.

the chocolate lady August 22, 2006 at 7:18 am

You know, Fall is my favorite too, but I still feel sad about summer ending. There is something so poignant about those black-eyed susans.

michele August 22, 2006 at 1:09 pm

Fall is my favorite time of the year, also. I was just thinking of muffins last night, and this is one of my favorite combinations. I think I may make some today, too!

wheresmymind August 22, 2006 at 1:23 pm

mmm…Pumpkin AND chocolate! Looks like a powerful combination to me :)

Anonymous August 22, 2006 at 6:38 pm

45 days until sun,cigars and colada’s / I nominate The husband for midnight picture duty of the phenomenal buffet.

The neighbor (husband)

Cate August 22, 2006 at 6:56 pm

Cyndi – I didn’t realize it was off. I’ll get you back on.

Claire – 100? Ouch!

The Chocolate Lady – Black-Eyed Susans, absolutely. The humidity? Uh huh.

Michele – make sure you grab one fresh from the oven!

Wheresmymind – and almost healthy to boot!

The Neighbor Husband – I’m not sure you can be in charge of the official countdown anymore. There’s forty-FOUR days left!

Patti August 23, 2006 at 1:03 am

Those look great Cate! I love anything with pumpkin.

farmgirl August 23, 2006 at 1:22 am

Hmmm. I just happened to spy some forgotten cans of pumpkin in a dark corner of the pantry today. And of course I always have chocolate chips on hand. These sound great. Why on earth do I always make pumpkin muffins with raisins and not chocolate? Thanks for setting me straight! : )

Kaji's Mom August 23, 2006 at 11:25 am

Thats too funny, I guess fall really is approaching since we’ve started bringing out the pumpkin!

Anonymous August 23, 2006 at 8:04 pm

I have been wanting pumpkin chocolate chip muffins too, I think I’m excited cause it’s only a little over a month away, and it will be Pumpkin Patch time, my son loves it, we go every year, and my daughter will be 2 next month, so she will actually get to enjoy it this year too. Can’t wait.

PatL August 27, 2006 at 11:14 pm

Oh, man, you are a mind reader. I’m doing a weekend of meals for a crowd in October, and I had just made a note to myself to look for a pumpkin muffin recipe. Chocolate chips sound like just the addition to make it special. Thanks, Cate!