Kids and Thanksgiving

by Cate on November 16, 2006

I cannot believe Thanksgiving is next week already – where the heck has time gone? You know what kills me though? The fact that it’s not even Thanksgiving yet and people already have Christmas decorations up! Honestly. I get that retail feels the need to do it, but regular homeowners with white Christmas lights up and blinking already? Geesh. People, slow down!

I finally took a few minutes to plan out the Thanksgiving menu for next week, and think I have it all covered except for dessert. I’m keeping some of the same things as last year, particularly because I remember it being a very relaxed day, and I’m all for that these days. I’m definitely open to any dessert suggestions you have — fire away!

Now speaking of Thanksgiving, Rachael Ray did a recent episode all about throwing kids’ parties and decorating for them, and her guest had some fabulous ideas that I am going to use. She used a frisbee for a plate (great parting gift), two coloring book pages taped together as the placemat, a bright colored washcloth as the napkin and Cooties (remember them?) as the napkin ring. How cool is that? I might win a Very Cool Mom Award… maybe, just maybe.

Until tomorrow… c’mon, fess up, whatcha making for Thanksgiving?

A year ago today… sigh … vacation, arrival in Bermuda.

Alisha November 16, 2006 at 5:52 am

Cute kids ideas! I’ll have to remember that for birthdays next year.

As for Thanksgiving, it might be easier to ask what am I not making! But, for desserts, we’ll have pumpkin pie (expected), chocolate pecan pie (the Karo syrup pecan pie recipe with chocolate chips added to the bottom), pumpkin cheesecake and Pumpkin Gooey Cake (ala Paula Deen). Yes, we have a pumpkin thing going for Thanksgiving desserts this year.

patsy November 16, 2006 at 1:36 pm

I love the kids party ideas! I would love to figure out something cool like that when my oldest has his 5 year party in February!

As for Turkey Day… we’ll be going to a friends house this year, so I am bringing CL’s Black Bottom Banana Cream Pie (sooo easy, and there’s never any leftover), and probably some brownies for the little guys as they don’t always enjoy the pies.

Looking forward to seeing what you are making that’s new this year. Hope Nicholas is feeling better now.

Dani November 16, 2006 at 2:57 pm

That’s on our Thanksgiving Menu – plenty of food for 5, I know ;)

Cranberry Margaritas

Mixed Greens with Apples, Cranberries, Goat Cheese and Pumpkin Vinaigrette

Oven Roasted Turkey with Garlic Butter
Turkey Gravy
Caramalized Onions & Cornbread Stuffing
Mashed Potatoes
Green Beans
Herbed Roasted Winter Vegetables
Homemade Dinner Rolls
Homemade Cranberry Sauce

Pumpkin Pie and French Silk Pie

Anonymous November 16, 2006 at 3:06 pm

I’m making a blueberry cobbler per my brother’s request as well as green beans with mushrooms. Last year my cousin said they were the best green beans he’d had and I like them because they are NOT a casserole! We’ll also have smoked and baked turkey, cornbread dressing, sweet potatoes, probably squash casserole, butter beans, and asparagus casserole. I’m sure my grandmother will do some sort of congealed salad; I NEVER understand why she does that because no one eats it! We’ll have pecan pie and I’ll probably make some cookies.

Friday we’re having gumbo after a day of shopping.

wheresmymind November 16, 2006 at 4:20 pm

Cooties were so rad back in the day!

Anonymous November 16, 2006 at 11:58 pm

THe anonymous post is from me…don’t know what happened there! -Claire

Madeline November 17, 2006 at 10:28 pm

If I was a kid, I would be so darn excited to see that on the table.