Random Quirks

by Cate on November 4, 2006

Last week, when Nicholas and I visited my Mom in the hospital, Dad was there, eating his McDonalds dinner while keeping her company. Nicholas noticed that my Dad had two straws in his milkshake. Apparently this is something that my Mom affirms Dad has been doing for y-e-a-r-s. I never really noticed it before. I asked why he used two straws and the answer was “because then you can take in twice as much liquid.” Well, duh on me, right? That’s an engineer for you. That crazy analytical mind. My Mom and I were looking at each other, shaking our heads. Our theory is then you’re drinking your drink twice as fast as necessary, and would run out sooner.

The conversation was no more than a minute or two, but Nicholas was sitting in the chair, very quietly, taking it all in. And now, wouldn’t you know it … every time we have gotten Nicholas a drink since then, “I want TWO straws, Mama, just like Grandpa.” Too funny.

And now it’s your turn. What are your food and drink quirks? C’mon and fess up, I know you have them.

Until tomorrow…

A year ago today… the dawn of New (to Me) Blogger on the Block.

Sheri November 4, 2006 at 5:54 am

I don’t like the food on my plate to touch. It all has to be separated.

I pick out all mushrooms.

I eat one thing at a time, saving the best for last (this means veggies first, my veggies have to be hot in order for me to eat them).

Fried eggs: I eat the egg white first, then pop the ENTIRE yolk in my mouth.

Anonymous November 4, 2006 at 12:47 pm

I must have ice in my milk( only skim). I always have milk with peanut butter. I like to have a few chips with a sandwich. I wont go near miracle whip. No dark tuna or dark chicken either. And, this will be a shock to a NJ’er, but I can’t stand raw tomatoes.

Susan November 4, 2006 at 2:08 pm

I prefer my diet mt. dew unrefrigerated.

I will disect my pizza slices; pull off and eat cheese & toppings first, then the crust/sauce. Actually, I’m not huge on the cheese on pizza – sometimes it seems like too much.

I have a pair of gorgeous bowls (bought in the Japan pavilion in Epcot). I love eating from them – always makes things more special.

I don’t like big spoons. Everything gets eaten with a teaspoon; makes it last longer!

Susan

wendyb532 November 4, 2006 at 3:08 pm

I can’t eat any “white” foods without adding pepper or another spice to top them first. For instance, if I have potatoes , eggs, etc. they must have pepper sprinkled on top before I eat them. Custard, cheesecake etc, would be topped with cinnamon, fruit, etc first.
I also don’t like large spoons, or soda with ice.

Wendyb532

Cate November 5, 2006 at 4:36 am

Sheri – The Husband is the same way about mushrooms. You guys are missing out. ;)

Randi – I’m with you on the miracle whip, totally.

Susan – gorgeous plates that you love can make even leftovers taste better.

Wendy – I think you win so far for the quirkiest quirk. ;)

PatL November 5, 2006 at 11:42 pm

Now that you mention it, I seem to recall always having two straws in my drinks when I was a kid. I wonder when I quit doing that? I must be really OLD! I can’t remember when!