Weekend Dog Blogging #60

by Cate on November 13, 2006

Double-post alert … second Sunday post below.

A very fun-filled, family kind of day. We got bagels and had a picnic in the park for breakfast and then went to two farms, making sure to spend time outside before the rain arrived. One of the farms we went to has animals that you can feed, and Nicholas was dying to go. They got some new animals in recently, including this adorable baby cow – check out how big her eyes are (and the eyelashes were amazing!). I keep calling her a her, although I suspect it might be a male, given the two little stumps beginning to form on her/his head … too pretty to be a boy! Susan, what do you think?

There was also a llama (or maybe an alpaca? I get them confused sometimes) sharing the pen with the baby cow. The llama was a little skittish and took awhile to warm up to us, but once she (yep, they’re all going to be girls today) saw we had carrots, she deemed us safe and worthy. Her teeth cracked me up and, again, those eyelashes! I would love to take the baby cow home, but methinks The Husband would object.

Tonight we had dinner at The Newlywed Neighbors’ house. As soon as we walked in, the delicious smell of hot steak wafted through the air. Rounding out the meal with a mixed salad, mashed potatoes (perfect comfort food – love them!) and green beans, it definitely hit the spot.

I promised to bring dessert tonight, and made one of The Husband’s favorites, Gooey Butter Cakes. There are a bunch of varieties of the Gooey Butter Cakes (a Paula Deen recipe), but oddly enough, this original version is the favorite amongst The Husband, my Dad and The Brother-in-Law, confirmed chocoholics that they are.

Speaking of chocolate, knowing that The Newlywed Husband likes chocolate, I also made something else (scroll down for tonight’s second post to see what else I made). And that picture of Darth Vader below? That’s The Newlywed Neighbor Husband having fun on Halloween. Unfortunately we didn’t get nearly as many kids trick-or-treating this year as in the past, but the kids that did come definitely got a kick out of him joining in the fun; I promise to finally post Nicholas’ picture tomorrow. ;)

Alright, all for tonight. Until tomorrow…

A year ago today… dinner with the other Neighbors.

And speaking of Susan, her pup from Farmgirl Fare starts off a very small group this weekend:

Frankie and Fred from Experimentation of Taste hide out from the rain:

Princess, from Free Range Living in Canada, celebrates a birthday in style:

The trio from Dispensing Happiness in Tennessee take in a lazy weekend:

Simba from Up a Creek Without a PatL:

And last, our lovable Eli at the park today. We took a bunch of pictures for a calendar I’m putting together (details to follow later in the week) and by the end, he had had enough of posing pretty for the camera:

christine November 13, 2006 at 3:34 am

Awww the cow and llama are adorable!!

merley November 13, 2006 at 12:25 pm

…wait what happened to the “original” neighbors and the girlfriend? I missed that part.
I’d love that llama in my backyard.

Cate November 13, 2006 at 1:17 pm

Christine – I know, right?! :)

Merley – they’re still around, we just didn’t see them this weekend.

farmgirl November 13, 2006 at 3:16 pm

Oh my, the pressure. Um, I’m no cattle expert, but I’m pretty sure it could be a boy or girl. No matter what, it’s absolutely adorable. Those eyes! What a fun day! : )

P.S. Eli is so big, you probably could convince The Husband you just brought home another dog–that has a rather odd bark. : )

Kris November 13, 2006 at 10:59 pm

Girl or boy cows, or rather calves, (it’s still a baby) can get horns, the cow looks to be a jersey or a brown swiss, so it’s a milk cow rather than a beef cow.

No help on the llama or alpacas.

Cate November 14, 2006 at 3:51 am

Susan – you crack me up. The Husband is pretty tolerable (I go into the pet store for cat food and come out with a cat), but a cow would be tough.

Kris – really? I never knew the girls could get the horns too. Learn something new every day. :) She was adorable, kept coming up for more food, and the llama kept crying when we tried to leave.

Sylvie November 14, 2006 at 5:07 am

Ohh- All the adorable doggies. With the BBQ competition over, I can get back into participating in WDB.

kris November 15, 2006 at 2:07 am

cate: Yep, girl cows can get horns too, we have 200+ angus/maine anjou cows. But we use to have herefords, and all of them have horns, cows and bulls.

Most ranchers will either burn the horns off, or cut them off when they are calves, a little bit smaller nubs than what that calf in the picture has, so most cows won’t have horns.

kris November 15, 2006 at 2:17 am