Let’s Talk Breakfast

by Cate on January 5, 2007

Even though I work largely from home, I make a concerted effort to stop and have a good breakfast every morning, albeit eating from my desk most times. Sometimes it’s just a piece or two of whole wheat toast. Sometimes just yogurt. Sometimes an egg sandwich. I usually make a few egg sandwiches over the weekend and pop them into the freezer, so I can grab one and toast it up when I don’t feel like dirtying the kitchen … or when I don’t have the time.

I was catching up on some food blog reading yesterday when I spied a post on Kalyn’s Kitchen for Omelets with Mushrooms and Goat Cheese. Perfect. I had leftover herbed goat cheese from Christmas Eve, and a plethora of fresh mushrooms for an upcoming soup night. I was set.

It took just minutes to make and was divine. I mean, really, how can you go wrong with sauteed mushrooms and goat cheese? Really.

Until tomorrow…

A year ago today… after today, a Pomegranate Martini sounds perfect.

Scott at Real Epicurean January 5, 2007 at 3:18 am

I’ve got a definate omlette soft spot. I fancy one right now!

Claire January 5, 2007 at 3:49 am

LOVE omlettes!

Kalyn January 5, 2007 at 4:02 am

“I mean, really, how can you go wrong with sauteed mushrooms and goat cheese? Really.”

I agree totally! Glad you liked it.

Also want to say publicly, thanks for all your work on the Food Blog Awards, which it’s obvious really have the potential to bring out the worst in some people. In spite of that, I hope you know how much people appreciate it and recognize all the work that’s going into it.

Rachel January 5, 2007 at 4:19 am

Yum! We made mushroom omelets just this weekend. I’ve never thought of freezing them.

Anonymous January 5, 2007 at 4:22 am

Having an egg sandwich in the freezer is a great idea. How do you do it? What do you freeze/how do you cook it in the AM?

Thanks!

wheresmymind January 5, 2007 at 2:33 pm

Looks far better than the kashi bar I had this morning

Cate January 5, 2007 at 2:36 pm

Scott – go on, indulge!

Claire – me too. Yesterday was actually the first time, the look of it was actually perfect. Usually they’re a mess!

Kalyn – thanks. It’s been a rough week for sure, and certainly gives me pause for continuing it.

Rachel – and healthy to boot!

Anonymous – I make the sandwiches completely, wrap them up in tin foil and freeze. When I want one, unwrap and pop it in the toaster for a few minutes. Way better than McDonalds. ;)

Wheresmymind – I hear ya. Never could get into those kashi bars.