Eat Your Veggies

by Cate on March 8, 2007

I love asparagus. Really, I do. I bought a bunch this weekend, knowing exactly how I’d use them. When Rachael Ray made the roast chicken that I made on Sunday, she also made asparagus, and that’s the recipe I used tonight. Normally when I make asparagus, I just roast them in the oven with a little bit of olive oil and cracked salt, so this was a little different. Done in about 10 minutes, they were tender and delicious. What more could you want?

Dijon Asparagus
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray

1 bunch thin asparagus
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon butter

Add one inch of water to a high-sided skillet and place over high heat. Bring to a simmer and add asparagus. Cover and cook for 5-8 minutes or until asparagus is tender.

Drain the asparagus and return to them skillet. Place over medium heat and add the Dijon and butter. Toss until the butter has melted. Serve.

Claire March 8, 2007 at 4:17 am

As Rachel would say…Yummo! I, too, usually roast my asparagus. I like it when it gets crisp on the edges b/c then it tastes like fried okra!

lubo March 8, 2007 at 8:15 am
Lydia March 8, 2007 at 11:19 am

I love asparagus with mustard. It’s almost good as asparagus tossed on the grill and quickly charred on the outside!

my5_kidz March 8, 2007 at 3:46 pm

Too bad I didn’t see this yesterday. I made asparagus last night for dinner – just plain. This would have been a tasty treat!

Almost Vegetarian March 8, 2007 at 8:03 pm

That looks just wonderful. Here’s how I make asparagus: Sautee with a wee bit of olive oil, sea salt, fresh pepper, and a healthy pinch of red pepper flakes. Fast, simple, and marvelous. Now, I just bought some lovely asparagus and I have this great French mustard and … Cheers!

Bradley March 8, 2007 at 9:03 pm

I have made the same thing though I wrap it up in tin foil and stick it in the over for 20-30 minutes or so while dinner is cooking along side.

Anupama March 9, 2007 at 11:03 am

Hey I share your love for Asparagus. I love the tips particularly. I normally microwave them for a 1 min, then drizzle them with some melted butter and top it up with a squeeze of lemon. Its heavenly. Yesterday I used asparagus tips as a pizza topping. They were yum yum yum.

Anonymous March 9, 2007 at 8:11 pm

I steam or grill my asparagus and drizzle lemon olive oil I brought back from Italy and a sprits of balsamic vinegar.

The Sister In-law