Last Supper

by Cate on June 14, 2007

I am gearing up for our last dinner at Cate and The Husband’s current home. Kind of sad if you think about it. I feel like the young grasshopper from Kung Fu who has been nurtured and now ready to take on the world. It hit me this week that I have a lot of food memories at their house and I have learned a lot during this time. Both cooking and tasting has been a big part of my life during the time we have known the SWEETNICKS family. No more frozen pre-cooked hamburgers. I now whip together ground beef with just the right amount of seasonings and even put cheese in the middle to spill out. No more Amoroso rolls toasted and cut in half and marketed as Italian bread. I now make stuffed garlic bread with real garlic. Side note (I always used garlic powder until I met Cate). Too many great recipes to talk about. It’s a good thing they’re staying in the neighborhood!

I’m going to miss “our” kitchen, which I have seen at its best and its worst. The pressure is on for this last meal in the house to be a lasting memory this weekend. Any ideas for the last meal? That brings up another question… what would you want as your last meal?

Claire June 14, 2007 at 2:05 am

Now you’ll have two places of memories with Sweetnicks and family! My last meal…hmmmm…tomatoes, squash casserole, asparagus, fried catfish, cornbread, and some kind of fruit pie…apple, peach, blueberry.

Sarah Caron June 14, 2007 at 11:32 am

Last meal at the Sweetnicks house? Something light but fulfilling. Perhaps some tender steaks and clams on the barbecue, a nice Greek salad, fruit kabobs for dinner . . . or perhaps just a mess of apps with a delicious, frosty cocktail.

For my last dinner – sushi, salad with miso dressing, miso soup and some Japanese beer. Mmmm.

Cate June 14, 2007 at 1:41 pm

For our last meal, how about revisting some of our favorites from the past few years?

As for my last supper … might as well go all out. I’m thinking lobster with melted butter, roasted oysters and mussels.

Michele Lane June 14, 2007 at 5:09 pm

Ive been thinking how much you will miss having the Sweetnicks nexdoor! I agree with Cate. Visit some old favorites for your last meal in the old house.. and then plan some brand new stuff for the first one in the new one!

AS far as my last meal? Grilled Ribeye, crab legs and shrimp with lemon butter. mushroom rissotto, and a green salad with lots of great veggies. Maybe something like tiramisu for desert?

Anonymous June 14, 2007 at 6:53 pm

Very interesting last meals.
Claire — sounds good. A doctor who can cook. “Great Combination”

Sarah — Great meal. Cate, Im thinking sushi night with all of the trimmings.

Cate — Too many to visit :)

Michele — that will work for me. Your hitting all the groups I like.

Cate June 15, 2007 at 1:34 am

Can’t do just sushi since The Husband doesn’t eat it. But how about steak and sushi? Sort of a twist on surf and turf. Found a recipe for a Cowboy Rib-Eye today that looked good. Can you guys handle the sushi part?

Anonymous June 15, 2007 at 1:54 am

The Husband speaks. It’s been a wonderful 5 years in this house. Alot of memories here, but one of the best ones to me and to the wife is the friendship we made with our neighbors. They are true friends. So with that note, what I would like for my last meal is that wonderful chicken that my beautiful wife makes – she knows which one it is.

Anonymous June 15, 2007 at 2:42 am

I have actually thought about this before. I know for sure, I want boiled, new, potatoes with parsley and butter, grilled chicken on a charcoal grill with olive oil rubbed on, lemon pepper and salt. I would also like green beans with bacon, yellow squash or cabbage. And a nice big green salad with lots of veggies in it..For dessert, ,I can’t eat dessert..I’m too full….LOL
Eve