Birthday Week Kick-Off

by Cate on July 29, 2007

The men in our family always chide that the women in the family manage to carry out our birthday celebrations to last a whole week … and while it’s not intentional, it definitely happens. My birthday is Tuesday, and Nicholas’ is Thursday. He managed to beat me out of the gate and kicked off his birthday celebration today with a party with his friends. Looking for something a little different this time, he choose to celebrate it as a new place that lets kids do the cooking.Each of the kids received their own chefs’ hat and got right to work on decorating their own aprons, then it was time to cook. They made their very own pizzas, starting with rolling out the dough and finishing it with a sprinkling of cheese. As they waited for their individual pizzas to bake, they moved on to make dirt cups for dessert. They followed that up by making chocolate milk and decorating alphabet cookies to take home. I think the kids had a blast, and it was a fun, new way to celebrate Nicholas’ birthday.

As for the theme of the party, I thought we could go with a “cooking” theme, given the venue, but Nicholas had other ideas. Over the past few months, he has become enthralled with the Disney Channel’s Hannah Montana, and as soon as he saw the Hannah Montana stuff in the party store, I knew I would be fighting a losing battle. Saying “no” to the lipgloss-filled rings, barrettes and hairbands, it was a bit of a challenge to make goodie bags that were unisex, but we ended up with a nice assortment of stuff, and he was a happy camper.

All in all, a fun evening. Next up? The Neighbor Wife is cooking Nicholas and I a special birthday dinner tomorrow. Until then…

Claire July 29, 2007 at 1:23 am

This is such a fun idea! I bet it was tons of fun. Nicholas looks like a great chef.

Nerissa July 29, 2007 at 6:40 pm

Dear God, I didn’t even know of the existance of this Hannah Montana. I feel old.

Happy Birthday lil Nicholas. Looks like your birthday was lots of fun.

Anonymous July 29, 2007 at 8:27 pm

First of all, these photos are ADORABLE! I love the one with him wearing the chefs hat and making an open-mouthed happy face at the camera. :) Second, what a cool way to celebrate a birthday! Kids in the kitchen, doing the cooking, very cool.

Ari (Baking and Books)

Cate July 29, 2007 at 9:04 pm

Claire – I think the kids had a blast – it’s always nice to change things up a bit.

Nerissa – I’m sure you’re in good company. She’s fairly new, if that’s any consolation. ;)

Ari – That open-mouthed happy face shot is totally his personality, through and through. My little kitchen monkey. :)

Chris July 30, 2007 at 2:00 am

Oh – this post made me smile!!! I love this idea of a birthday – think I am too old to do something like this? :) What if I invite Billy Ray? :) hee hee

Tammy July 30, 2007 at 2:03 am

Happy birthday to Nicholas and you! His first celebration looks like a blast. My daughters are 7 and 9 years old and LOVE Hannah Montana! I hope your week long celebration is fun for all of you.

Cookin4Love July 30, 2007 at 4:31 am

Happy birthday to both of you. Can’t believe how big Nicholas–and the girlfriend–are getting.

Went back to the comments from two years ago. Hah! Are you still enjoying the chairs? I spent a lazy hour this afternoon (when I should have been working) laying back enjoying the sun. We had very temperate 100 degree day; it seemed a shame to waste it!

Anonymous July 30, 2007 at 12:17 pm

Wow. he is growing up so fast. i hope that the both of you have wonderful b day’s. wish i was there to celebrate with you.

mdvelazquez July 30, 2007 at 1:33 pm

Happy birthday to Nicholas!

Love the cooking for kids party.

Cate July 30, 2007 at 1:56 pm

Chris – you’re never too old to have a little fun. ;)

Tammy – thank you!

Cookin4love – absolutely! We use them all the time, and they are totally still my favorite chairs. :) ‘Course now they’re everywhere, but we were first. ;)

Anonymous – too fast!