Breakfast at IKEA

by Cate on August 13, 2007

Friday night, as I was laying in bed wide awake trying desperately to fall asleep, visions of IKEA’s Swedish Pancakes sprang to mind, and I decided then and there that I was dragging everyone to IKEA for breakfast Saturday morning. Besides the fact that the food is surprisingly good, considering it’s a restaurant in a furniture store, you can’t beat a 99-cent breakfast. This IKEA isn’t open on Sundays (that pesky blue law), so it gets a little crazy-busy on Saturdays. I wanted to be there right when they opened. I was the only one in the Sweetnicks family who has had their breakfast before, and the rest of the gang was a little dubious about the whole thing.

For a mere $12.47 we got breakfast for four … potatoes, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, french toast sticks, Swedish pancakes and drinks. Can’t beat that deal with a stick. I don’t know what they do to their scrambled eggs, but they’re the creamiest I’ve ever had. And the potatoes? Not a speck of grease to be found, and crispy on the outside, soft on the inside.

The last time I went to IKEA for breakfast, I was inspired to find a recipe for Swedish Pancakes so I could make them at home. I did, and after having IKEA’s again this weekend, I have to say, the home version is oodles better and a snap to make. Hope you try it.

Chris August 13, 2007 at 2:23 am

I recently posted about my adventures at IKEA’s eating area. I had no idea they had breakfast! Another trip may be in store!

Kelly Mahoney August 13, 2007 at 2:52 am

Mmmm, I’ve had their chef’s breakfast before. I really love that they make shopping an experience.

Rosehaven Cottage August 13, 2007 at 4:30 am

I didn’t realize that IKEA’s breakfast was so reasonably priced or so good. I may have to go try it out now. Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

Anonymous August 13, 2007 at 12:28 pm

hi cate, i think im gonna be in the area this weekend – are you?
chris

mdvelazquez August 13, 2007 at 5:50 pm

All that food for 99¢ and it is good too?

Sara August 13, 2007 at 7:37 pm

Yeah you can’t beat the 99 cent breakfast there. We’ve been there for dinner a couple of times lately, but I am pretty sure our Ikea does not serve Swedish pancakes for breakfast. I’ll be trying yours next weekend, they look great!

Cynthia August 13, 2007 at 9:42 pm

Ah, a store that feeds you :)

Truffle August 13, 2007 at 9:50 pm

What a bargain! I’m sure it couldn’t live up to your homemade version though!

Cate August 14, 2007 at 1:29 am

Chris and Rosehaven- a 99-cent breakfast sounds like a good excuse to me. ;)

Kelly – me too!

Chris C – yup. Would be great to see you!

mdvelazquez – I was just as surprised as you the first time.

Sara – I haven’t had their lunch or dinner yet, but soon. :)

Cynthia – I know, right?

Truffle – hope you try them; super simple to make.

Valli August 14, 2007 at 2:09 am

I haven’t had the breakfast at IKEA but I have had their salmon dinner and Swedish meatballs. Both are pretty darn good for the price!!! We don’t have an IKEA here but I will be there in Vancouver at the end of the month. SHOPPING!!!!

elekra August 25, 2007 at 5:40 pm

i love Ikea’s breakfast too! you expressed it perfectly in your blog. i am always trying to tell my friends about it and they are all “rather dubious” as well!! i must say the Ikea in Burbank, California has the nicest dining area out of the ones I’ve been to in Southern California. I like your blog!