Fresh Salsa

by Cate on August 9, 2007

Many moons ago, when The Husband and I were dating, he’d come by my place after work, and I’d have homemade salsa and tortilla chips waiting for him, along with a Corona. Ten plus years later, and let’s just say I’m not always waiting for him with salsa when he walks in the door.

Recently, however, I decided to surprise him and take a trip down memory lane, making a batch of homemade salsa. It’s not that it’s difficult to make, it’s just that with a thousand things going on, Nicholas running around, trying to get dinner on the table, there’s not a lot of relaxing-and-hanging-out-eating-chips-and-salsa going on after work and I forget both how good it really is and how much he likes it. He was definitely a happy camper though and did everything but lick the bowl and drink the last dregs of tomato juiciness from the bottom. Think of all the “cool wife” points I earned. It’s the perfect recipe to make after a trip to the farmer’s market. This isn’t the original one I used to make, and while the addition of cucumbers is a little unusual, it’s still just as good.

A year ago today… pantry cooking and a great ARF/5-A-Day roundup.
Two years ago today… mmmIberias.

Pico de Gallo
Recipe courtesy of Latina magazine

1 lb ripe tomatoes, finely diced (with juice)
1/2 cup finely diced white onion
1/2 cup seeded, finely diced cucumber
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
4 serrano chiles, seeded and very finely diced (I skipped)
1-1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste

In medium, nonreactive bowl, stir together all ingredients to combine. Adjust seasonings to taste. Let stand about 30 minutes before serving. Serve with tortilla chips or use in any recipe that calls for fresh salsa. Makes about 2-1/2 cups.

Kelly Mahoney August 9, 2007 at 1:55 am

Looks so delicious — what a great summer dish.

Anonymous August 9, 2007 at 2:20 am

The husband speaks it only took you ten years to make for me again but i got to say it was worth the wait. Thanks you princess. And ten years later i still look at you the way i did when we frist met with the glow in my eyes and as beautiful back then and even better now.you are and always be my princess i love you more and more as each day goes by

Claire August 9, 2007 at 3:02 am

I’m telling you…the husband is putting some sweet stuff on here lately! This looks great. I love summer, which is coming to an end, though you wouldn’t know it by the temperatures! We’re in the 100’s!

Tartelette August 9, 2007 at 6:05 am

Great recipe Cate! I too make a big bowl of salsa for us to have while I make dinner on the weekends. We just kick back and relax. Thanks for sharing!

Valli August 9, 2007 at 12:42 pm

I like the addition of the cucumber in your salsa. It makes it like a refreshing Greek salad on tortilla chips. Wonderful!!!!

Anonymous August 9, 2007 at 12:45 pm

The salsa and chips were excellent. I’m helping the husband out and putting in a good word to have this much more often. Did you post the blue cheese dip recipe up. Maybe the best blue cheese dip/dressing I have ever had. I plan on making your shrimp salad recipe on some type of bread/roll next week for dinner.

The neighbor husband

mdvelazquez August 9, 2007 at 4:28 pm

Oh my! That looks delicious. I must try it.

Stephanie August 9, 2007 at 5:02 pm

That’s cute! Remind me of the stuff Ina’a always doing for Jeffrey.

Cynthia August 9, 2007 at 9:35 pm

Cate it is such a pleasure to discover your blog. Thanks for stopping by mine and facilitating the discovery :) Hmmmm sounds rather officious doesn’t it? (lol)

Looking forward to returning here often.

Hillary August 9, 2007 at 10:48 pm

I love making homemade salsa! What a great recipe? Have you ever made any homemade salsa verdes? Have any recipes? :)

Cate August 10, 2007 at 1:41 am

Kelly – completely agree!

The Husband – xoxo

Claire – every once in awhile, he comes out of hiding. ;) Ouch – 100s? I don’t mind the heat so much, but the humidity lately is a killer.

Tartelette – I should probably do that “kick back and relax” thing more often. :)

Valli – totally refreshing.

The Neighbor Husband – no, thanks for the reminder; I need to post that recipe. Maybe if you guys play your cards right, after the farmer’s market, there might be another batch of salsa in your future. ;)

mdvelazquez – hope you try it!

Stephanie – I’ll take an Ina comparison any day! ;)

Cynthia – thanks for dropping by.

Hillary – I don’t have a tried-and-true one, but found 3 on AllRecipes that are well reviewed (see here). Hope that helps! :)

Cris September 10, 2007 at 1:52 pm

My first time to your blog and this was the first recipe I tried. It was great! My husband and sons had it gone in 1/2 hr no left overs. I diffently will make this again, if this is the way to keep the family healthly eating veggies it’s worth it to me. On side note: I personnally don’t care for cilantro so I used 1/2 cilantro and 1/2 parsley it still had a good flavor.