Sausage Con Queso Dip

by Cate on September 13, 2007

I wanted cheese. Hot cheese. Melty cheese. Gooey cheese. Tummy-warming cheese. Cheese. And I got exactly what I wanted with this recipe for Sausage Con Queso Dip.

Using ingredients I already had on hand, it came together on the stove in just minutes and totally hit the spot. Although The Husband likes all the components separately, he declared the assembled dish “too cheesy.” Oh, perish the thought! No matter … more for me!

A year ago today… another ARF/5-A-Day roundup, full of inspiration.
Two years ago today… The Husband cooks.

Sausage con Queso Dip
Recipe courtesy of AllRecipes

16 servings

1 pound Bob Evans or Owens Original Recipe Sausage Roll, cooked drained, crumbled (I used regular sausage links)
1 (16 ounce) package VELVEETA Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product, cut up
1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
or 1 (16 ounce) jar of salsa (I used the salsa)

Crumble and cook sausage in large saucepan over medium heat until browned. Drain on paper towel then return sausage to saucepan. Cut VELVEETA cheese into cubes and add to sausage. Cook, stirring frequently, until cheese is melted. Stir in tomatoes.
Serve warm with tortilla chips.

Kelly Mahoney September 13, 2007 at 1:13 am

Looks delicious, like something I eat at Chili’s all the time. Mmm, cheese.

Jennifer September 13, 2007 at 2:30 am

You should try using cream cheese instead of Velveeta. Oh, so very good!

Ed Tep September 13, 2007 at 2:47 am

Cate – Oh you so had me at “cheese.” I agree with you that there is no such thing as “too cheesy.”

Anonymous September 13, 2007 at 3:27 am

that looks awesome. Need to try when I get back.

the neighbor husband

Cate September 13, 2007 at 3:00 pm

Kelly – Mmmm, Chili’s. Haven’t been there in years.

Jennifer – thanks for the suggestion, definitely next time.

Ed – I totally agree – what is he thinking?!

The Neighbor Husband – definitely your kinda thing. You know what I think it’s time for? Buffalo Chicken Chili!

Deborah September 13, 2007 at 3:23 pm

There’s no such thing as too cheesy! I love con queso dip, although I don’t think I’ve ever had it with sausage – usually beef. This sounds wonderful!

Culinarily Obsessed September 13, 2007 at 3:34 pm

I make this minus the sausage. I use velvetta and a can of rotell tomatoes, it is ooooh so good. And you can even make it in the microwave which is of course super easy.

Anonymous September 13, 2007 at 4:26 pm

I agree on the Chilli, but if I recall only you and I loved it.

NH — Neighbor Husband

mdvelazquez September 14, 2007 at 5:59 pm

Yum! There is no such thing as “too cheesy.”

I make a similar cheese dip using ground beef/chicken and I added shredded cheddar along with the Velveeta.

I also make a cheese dip using leftover chili (or one can of Staff Chili), Velveeta and shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack. No salso for this one because the chili gives it the spice.

Maria