Soup’s On?

by Cate on September 27, 2007

OK guys, I’m tuckered and have a ridiculously early doctor’s appointment tomorrow morning, so tonight’s post requires class participation. But I know you guys can do it. Lately, we’ve been flirting every so lightly with Fall weather and I seriously cannot wait. Fall is, hands down, my favorite season. Unfortunately, even though October is fast approaching, today was a surprisingly hot day. No matter, I am still totally in the mood for soup. Recently, The Neighbor Husband asked for homemade soup suggestions … whatcha got for him? Who knows … your favorite recipe just might hit our table. Give it your best shot.

Claire September 27, 2007 at 2:15 am

The last soup I made was a really good veggie soup. Here’s the link:

I also have a good potato soup. I’ll have to check the recipe for you but it’s SUPER easy…just potatoes, onions, cream of celery soup, and velveeta cheese. easy and yummy!

Kelly September 27, 2007 at 3:09 am

I suggest a copycat recipe of La Madeline’s Tomato – Basil soup!!!!!

Julie September 27, 2007 at 11:02 am

When there’s a bite in the air I’m always craving a good gumbo but when I visited friends in the dead of summer in England I was required to make this for them as well. I’m pleased to say we all survived hot and spicy gumbo on a very hot Birmingham day.

Anonymous September 27, 2007 at 12:57 pm

i dont have a recipe for soup however my favorite is chunky potato soup and a biscuit on the side. if anyone would like to send me a care package i would love it.
chris (in VA)

Valli September 27, 2007 at 2:46 pm

This is my favourite soup recipe.I love creamy, flavourful soups. We have been having cooler weather lately and cool nights so it is definitely time to get into nesting mode and comfort zone modes. http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com/2007/02/potatoe-swiss-chowder.html

Polly September 27, 2007 at 3:10 pm

This is my most favorite fall soup recipe: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=549810

The only variations that I make are to use chicken stock instead of broth, and because I’m a lazy (and cheap) bum, I also use canned crab.

Anonymous September 27, 2007 at 4:04 pm

I second the Chris vote :)

The neighbor husband

Cate September 28, 2007 at 12:54 am

Thanks for all the great suggestions – we’re going to have a hard time picking which one to do first!

Chris C – cookies during Christmas time, absolutely, but methinks a soup care package is going to be a little hard to ship. Of course, you can always come here and I’ll make whatever you want. :)

The Neighbor Husband – the vote for the soup or the care package? ;)

Tara September 28, 2007 at 5:08 am

Throughout the cold weather I was doing a Soup Sunday in my household… The results can be found here, I loved them all but the Cauliflower, Bean & Bacon Soup was something quite different and very satisfying…

I’ve still got a few to post about as well; French onion soup, Mum’s Vegetable Soup & Vegetable, Bacon & Risoni Soup – which I will hopefully post this weekend.

I’m sad to say that the soup season is drawing to a close over here in Australia, I will miss it!

Mrs. OrioleGal9 September 28, 2007 at 1:03 pm

My favorite is a Lentil Soup using a ham bone for extra flavoring and for meat that falls off it!

Anonymous September 28, 2007 at 1:51 pm

the care package

Snarkmeister September 28, 2007 at 4:11 pm

I’m a big fan of butternut squash soup, preferably one with lots of ginger in it. If you don’t have time to make it from scratch, Trader Joe’s has a fairly decent version in one of those boxes (like stock comes in).

SheRa September 28, 2007 at 9:17 pm

our favorite soup is a curried pumpkin soup. DH doesn’t even like soup but he loves the stuff!

maltese parakeet September 28, 2007 at 11:06 pm

i turned some sweet italian sausage, canned tomatoes, cannelini beans and kale into a fun little minestrone-like creation. nice and warming for a chilly evening, and great with some crusty bread to dunk.

Anonymous September 29, 2007 at 2:59 pm

This is one of my favorite soup recipes…I just love the little meatballs! The recipe doesn’t call for it, but I brown the meatballs first. This is for 4 servings, I always double the recipe.
Val

Italian Wedding Soup

1/2 pound extra-lean ground beef
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
5 3/4 cups chicken broth
2 cups thinly sliced escarole
1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
1/3 cup finely chopped carrot

In medium bowl, combine meat, egg, bread crumbs, cheese, basil and onion powder; shape into 3/4 inch balls.
In large saucepan, heat broth to boiling; stir in escarole, orzo pasta, chopped carrot and meatballs. Return to boil, then reduce heat to medium. Cook at slow boil for 10 minutes, or until pasta is al dente. Stir frequently to prevent sticking.

Ruth Daniels September 30, 2007 at 10:57 am

My father would call this “stick to your ribs” soup. It’s thick and hearty for the colder weather. http://recipesfrom4everykitchen.blogspot.com/2007/09/esaus-lentil-soup-with-meatballs.html

Great idea, sharing recipes.

Tanya October 2, 2009 at 5:40 pm

Some great ideas in the comments here for recipes. Thanks!