Baked Crab Rangoons

by Cate on April 16, 2008

crab-wonton-small.jpgI love being able to turn people on to new foods … to have them find find out that they now like something that they didn’t think they liked before.  To me, that’s one of the more rewarding aspects of cooking.

The Husband blames me for his love of cheesecake, which, in a way, strikes me as funny since I might eat a slice or two a year, if that.  Not having a huge sweet tooth, it’s just not something that I would go out of my way to make too often.  We happened to order it a few years ago while dining at The Cheesecake Factory though, and their original version is downright decadent.  The Husband became hooked soon after,  discovering a newfound love of cheesecake.  If I make a batch of Mini Cheesecakes, one of his favorite desserts, he’s good for about half of them … which would explain why I don’t make them that often.

Every so often, when we get together with The Neighbors for dinner, we succumb and order Chinese take-out.  As with Indian food, I tend to order off the appetizer section, my favorite part of the menu.  In doing so, I introduced The Neighbor Husband to the popular Chinese appetizer, Crab Rangoons, and another convert was quickly born.  Imagine how happy he was when he found a look-alike recipe for them recently on Yahoo! Food, and, of course, they quickly made their appearance at the dinner table.

This version is exceptionally easy to make, but just as important is the fact that they’re baked and include low-fat ingredients, so you can feel much better about eating them.  No skimping on taste, and a healthier take than the fried version typically offered at Chinese restaurants.  Dig in!

Baked Crab Rangoons
Recipe courtesy of Yahoo! Food

1 (6 ounce) can white crabmeat, drained, flaked
4 ounces PHILADELPHIA Neufchatel Cheese, 1/3 Less Fat than Cream Cheese, softened
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/4 cup KRAFT Mayo Light Mayonnaise
12 won ton wrappers

Preheat oven to 350F. Mix crabmeat, Neufchatel cheese, onions and mayo.  Spray 12 medium muffin cups with cooking spray. Gently place 1 won ton wrapper in each cup, allowing edges of wrappers to extend above sides of cups. Fill evenly with crabmeat mixture.  Bake 18 to 20 min. or until edges are golden brown and filling is heated through. Serve warm. Garnish with chopped green onions, if desired.

Yield: 12 servings

Sarah April 16, 2008 at 11:30 pm

Gosh, if you could make a recipe like that for wontons, you would be my hero. Not a fan of the cream cheese in crab rangoons, but I love the crispy wontons!

Maria April 17, 2008 at 6:22 am

Very easy. I’m not fond of the taste of light mayo. Have you ever tried it with regular mayo?

Karen April 17, 2008 at 7:24 am

Make your wontons and boil them to cook. It will take only a few mins. Drain and saute in a neutral or garlic flavored oil until brown and crispy. Not quite the same as deep frying but a lot less mess and certainly healthier.

Karen

Kris April 17, 2008 at 8:43 am

Thanks so much for the recipe! I can’t wait to try these – they look great.

These are one of my favorite things to order when getting chinese food – and I usually end up eating them all because nobody in my house will even try them. So a lowfat version works for me.

emma April 17, 2008 at 8:58 am

Sweetnicks! (Cate!) – how are you???? I have finally calmed life down enough to get Modern Girls Kitchen rolling again so now I’m out reconnecting with everyone…I LOVE the new site look – wow – it is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!!!
Crab rangoons…can’t wait to try!!!!!! (Having a party soon and these will be perfect!!!)
I hope all is well with you!!! Emma
(moderngirlskitchen.com)

Patsy April 17, 2008 at 10:01 am

Our next supper club is an Asian theme, so I think I may just have to make these as my appy contribution! I love ordering them when we go out for Chinese!

The Neighbor Husband April 17, 2008 at 10:02 am

These were very good. I am not a big fan of light mayo but I could not tell the difference but I must try regular mayo now. Cate, rumor has it that a few Billy’s cupcakes will be making an appearance this weekend.

Oatmeal Cookie Guy April 17, 2008 at 11:53 am

Oh my god! I looove crab rangoons. They’re a staple at the Chines restaurants where I grew up in Massachusetts. I was shocked when I moved to NYC that the Chinese restaurants here don’t have the little tasty guys. I think they’re best when the cream cheese and crab is well balanced and there aren’t too many onions. Oh…sooo good.

Deborah April 17, 2008 at 12:50 pm

I’m going to have to give these a try – they sound delicious!

Melanie April 17, 2008 at 5:07 pm

I have a similar recipe but have to fry the wontons – I love the baked idea. Can’t wait to try them because we LOVE crab rangoon at our place!