Things That Make You Go Hmmm … Part Two

by Cate on July 20, 2008

When I have burning questions on my mind, I know just where to turn … you, my dear readers.  You’ve haven’t let me down before, so here’s what’s top ‘o mind lately:

1.  Nicholas has discovered a love for, of all things, Beefaroni, courtesy of Summer Camp.  I am certain their version is just from a can, though when I succumbed and bought him the Chef Boyardee brand the other day, although he ate it, he declared it “too saucy.”  Anyone happen to have a homemade version that will win him over?

2.  Cobwebs.  Lots of them.  And they are driving me crazy.  Not inside, but rather outside.  In fact, just typing this is making me itchy.  I am sure it’s due to the trees surrounding our property, but short of cutting them all down, what’s a girl to do?  The spiders in our neighborhood must work in 24-hour-shifts, because I can get rid of them today, and I guarantee they’ll be back tomorrow.  On my car mirror.  By the front door.  On the mailbox.  Help!  Home Depot suggested spraying them with original Listerine (what? spiders don’t like to be minty fresh?!), and unfortunately that hasn’t worked.  Suggestions?

3.  We’ve been focusing on day trips this summer with the Sweetnicks crew and have yet to decide on our August excursion.  Looking for no more than three hours driving distance one way, not touristy (in an effort to avoid summer crowds), both kid- and adult-friendly, nothing that keeps us in the blazing hot sun for prolonged periods of time and possible overnight potential.  Whatcha got?

Got answers?  Got questions?  Let ’em rip.

chris July 21, 2008 at 8:22 am

Hey there, come and visit ME in Viriginia and we can go into Washington DC for some culture. :)
chris

Patsy July 21, 2008 at 11:20 am

What about Mystic, CT? They have an aquarium and the boat museum, so you wouldn’t have to be outside the whole time.

If you want to go somewhere that’s fairly close by, there’s The Great Wolf Lodge in the Poconos! We’ve been there 4 times and it’s a lot of fun for an overnight trip. They have their outdoor pool open as well as the indoor waterpark this time of year.

I’ve heard great things about Lake George in NY… but, I haven’t been there yet myself.

Allergic Diner July 21, 2008 at 11:45 am

Why not a day trip to Hershey Park? Fun for adults, fun for kids, and heck, chocolate :)

Laura July 21, 2008 at 1:16 pm

We have the spider problem too …we have trees and a lake in the backyard.We has to get professionals come spray, it worked great …they come every so often.We tried every over the counter and old wives tale,this has been the only thing to give us peace.And I swear we come out cheaper!
Paula Deen does a goulosh that reminds me of beefaroni.Pretty tasty.

Robyn July 21, 2008 at 10:08 pm

Maybe this recipe posted by SheRa on CLBB would do the trick? http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?t=94250&highlight=tomato+beef+pasta

Sarah July 23, 2008 at 6:16 pm

Hey, Cate, I dug up my old “copycat” recipe for Beefaroni, you may want to give it a shot if he’s still in his “love it” phase: http://yummysmells.blogspot.com/2008/07/fiddle-sticks.html

Hope it helps!

Faith Kramer July 24, 2008 at 6:22 pm

I was going to suggest Mystic, but someone beat me to it!

In fact when I come East this summer, I’m taking my niece there!