Mexican Fried Ice Cream

by Cate on August 4, 2008

breyers.jpgWhen I spied the carton in the freezer section of the grocery store, I quickly looked away.  I didn’t want to be tempted.  But for whatever reason, I grabbed it and put it into my cart anyway.  I wanted to hate it.  I really did.  And I was sure I would even before tasting it.  But I bought it anyway…

Breyers’ Fried Ice Cream.  Ever since I first had fried ice cream at a Chi-Chis restaurant some 15 years ago, I fell in love with it.  Crunchy, creamy, sweet and simply delicious.  I used to go to Chi-Chis religiously once a month, a standing date to meet a friend for a Girls’ Night Out.  The evening always ended the same … with us both diving into Fried Ice Cream.  A crispy tortilla on the plate, dusted with sugar and cinnamon.  Then a large scoop of vanilla ice cream that had been completely covered in a fried, crunchy coating.  Whipped cream, a maraschino cherry and honey drizzled all over finished it off.  Such a good food memory, my mouth is practically watering now.

Years later, the standing date long over, and Chi-Chis since shuttered, I set about to create my own version.  Just as good as the restaurant rendition, but nothing is fried, so it’s healthier.  Or as healthy as an ice cream dessert is going to get.  You know, all things being relative and all that.

So since I have my own concoction, there wasn’t a real need to put the Breyers carton in my shopping cart, but I did anyway.  More out of curiosity than anything else.

Not as good as my own version, it falls somewhere slightly below.  The cinnamon caramel ice cream is studded with bits of sweet cinnamon tostadas and honey caramel ribbons throughout, and it’s good from the first bite.

Apparently, after some Google research, I learned that this ice cream has actually been out for nearly two years.  Where the heck have I been?  Whether you give the Breyer’s ice cream a shot or try my own version, your tastebuds will be singing a new tune.

sarah August 5, 2008 at 7:48 am

I LOVED Chi-Chi’s! Best salsa ever … unfortunately the store sold version isn’t as good as their restaurant version (darn mass production!). And, in fact, the first time I had fried ice cream was there as well. Mmm.

Annie August 5, 2008 at 10:28 am

Chi-Chi’s!!!! I used to work there and I thought I had had my fill of fried ice cream…not so! I need to try this ice cream!

Deanna August 5, 2008 at 12:27 pm

Yum! Sonic is doing a fried ice cream blast. We try to make those homemade at home and NOW we can make that one too!!

Pammela August 5, 2008 at 12:45 pm

If you have a Kroger grocery store near you, their store brand Select has a great Fried Ice Cream flavor!

Tracy August 5, 2008 at 2:27 pm

Oh thanks a lot–now MY mouth is watering for that stuff! Oh for the days when a chimichanga and fried ice cream constituted a meal and there was no thought, not even the merest whisp of a thought, given to calories, fat, saturated fat, trans fat, total lack of nutrients…

sharon August 6, 2008 at 1:24 pm

Admission: i frequently visit the ice cream aisle. I’ve never seen this!! Probably a good thing, though.

M August 7, 2008 at 6:14 pm

I loved Chi-chi’s fried ice cream as a kid! I’d rather try your recipe with the corn flakes since I can make a dairy-free one for my son as well as a real ice cream one for me.

Jenn August 8, 2008 at 10:30 pm

The Breyers Fried Ice Cream is one of my faves. It’s recently changed packaging, but otherwise yeah, it has been on the market for a while.

My “secret” Fried Ice Cream concoction when there’s no Breyers in the house is crunched up Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal, a scoop of regular vanilla ice cream, and a drizzle of caramel or honey. Yum! =)