What Food and Drink Items Can You Happily Live Forever On?

by Cate on December 11, 2008

Tonight, The Husband was out and the kids were hanging out with me in the kitchen while I got dinner ready.  While I was stirring the sauce for the pasta, I grabbed a cup and filled it to the top with crushed ice and then poured Diet Coke in.  I love Diet Coke.  I don’t drink coffee or tea ever, so it’s my one source for a caffeine boost and at the end of the day (but not necessarily every day), it just totally hits the spot.  I closed my eyes and just drank.

“Mmmm, I could live just drinking Diet Coke forever,” I told Nicholas.  “Oh and Strawberry Coladas from vacation too!”

He looked at me and said, “Apple juice for me and the Strawberry Coladas (mom note: non-alcoholic, of course).”

“What about food?” I asked.  “If you could only eat or drink five things for the rest of your life, what would they be?”

He looked over at Maddie, who was plotting on how best to reach the cat food before I could reach her, and gave it some thought.

“Apple juice, the strawberry coladas … apple slices,” he answered.

“That’s three.  Two more?”

“Bagels and cream cheese and salad,” he finished.

“That’s a pretty good list,” I said, pleased that he had a few good food groups in there without prompting.  Someone is doing something right.

“What about you, Mama?”

“Hmmm … Diet Coke and Strawberry Coladas would be my drinks.  I think for food, pasta (tortellini!), oysters and cupcakes.”

“Oh cupcakes!  I think I would add cookies.  Can I have six?”

“I think that’s ok.  We can count apple juice and apple slices as one.”

“Oh good.  I need dessert.  Every day.”

The older he gets, the more fun our conversations get, and with him (or us), you never know where the topics are going to lead to.  Our dinnertime tonight ended with shoelace tying practice (he just learned yesterday, to which his teacher responded with “Oh thank the Lord!” even though he’s only #5 to learn in a class of 16), what he’s going to wear for our Christmas pictures and what crafts we’re making this weekend, and that the Bethlehem we’re going to this weekend, I swear!, will not have any sightings of Mary or Jesus.  I’m not sure he completely believes me, just like I’m not completely sure who this Juan Diego character from Mexico is that he kept talking about today.  We can certainly learn a lot from each other! [Even though my entire school career was spent in Catholic schools, I swear I don’t think I remember learning about Juan Diego from Mexico, but Nicholas sure knew what he was talking about.]

And now, Nicholas and I want to know (and I promised him I would ask you) … what are the five food and drink items that you could happily live forever on?  Consider this your annual delurking question.

P.S.  And if now you’ve got the Strawberry Coladas craving like we do, here’s the recipe.  I think there’s a batch in our very near future coming this weekend.

kim December 11, 2008 at 12:40 am

Food: chicken salad, mac and cheese, fresh fruit
Drink: Water, Sonnys (bbq) sweet tea

kims last blog post..Menu Week: December 8

Merry December 11, 2008 at 8:34 am

Let’s see…I assume that this is without waistline or cholesterol implications…hehehe

Food: pulled pork bbq, blueberry pancakes, chicken salad sandwhich

Drink: Coke Zero & juice (preferably orange)

Merrys last blog post..Who Knew…..

Amanda Nicole December 11, 2008 at 11:35 am

Officially delurking!

Food: Curry penne, yam sushi rolls, white chocolate, bananas

Drink: Nestle’s Quik

Amanda Nicoles last blog post..first day of Christmas

ttfn300 December 11, 2008 at 11:56 am

peanut butter, spinach, goat cheese, eggs, fresh fruit

drink: hint waters (i’m not paying, right?)

ttfn300s last blog post..Healing Biscotti

Sarah December 11, 2008 at 12:15 pm

Oh Nicholas. That is a GREAT question.

Here’s mine:

1) Ice cold water with ice
2) Caramel Frappuccinos
3) Chef’s Salad with Italian dressing
4) Spicy Tomato Shrimp
5) Fresh Sweet Corn on the Cob

And, if I can have a sixth: Deconstructed Peppermint Bark Cookies.

Sarahs last blog post..Craveworthy: Spicy Tomato Shrimp

Erika December 11, 2008 at 12:49 pm

1.) Chai
2.) BBQ Ribs
3.) Caprese Salad
4.) Irish Cheddar Cheese
5.) Chips and Salsa

Erikas last blog post..Not Your Ordinary Peanut Clusters

Maris December 11, 2008 at 12:56 pm

This is a good question. And HARD!!

Let’s start with food:
1. Turkey sandwich with lettuce, tomato & honey mustard on 7-grain bread
2. Ice cream – super premium chocolate chip cookie dough would be nice, but any kind would do.
3. Cheese & crackers (yes this is one food item. They just GO together!)
And for drinks:
4. Sparkling water
5. Coffee (I need it to function. unfortunately. or i’d have chosen something far more delicious)

Mariss last blog post..Easiest Indian Stew

Patsy December 11, 2008 at 1:18 pm

What a fun question!

Pasta of any kind.
Chocolate in any form… including Hot Chocolate
lobster
A nice white wine
water (I’m weird… I only drink other stuff on a rare occasion)

Patsys last blog post..More Cinnamon Chip Fun!

MissGreenTea December 11, 2008 at 2:49 pm

Nice question…a break from work thinking today:

1. Smothered Burritos
2. An array of vegetables
3. Beer w/ kettle chips (kinda cheated, put these together)
4. Cheesecake
5. Lemon Water

claire December 11, 2008 at 3:28 pm

Wow…what a good question! I think I’d go with this:
1. yogurt with berries and cereal
2. oatmeal with peanut butter, cinnamon, and berries or mango
3. roasted vegetables (squash, zucchini, tomatoes, onion, peppers, and sweet potatoes) served over spaghetti squash with goat cheese – if that’s too much, just the veggies!
4. tilapia
5. soup – any kind!

I’m assuming water is a free item…if not, take away the soup and add water!

claires last blog post..Pizza by Philip!

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah December 12, 2008 at 7:57 am

1) Bagels

2) Pizza

3) burritos

4) coffee

4) beer

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarahs last blog post..Randomness Part 122

Kris December 12, 2008 at 9:28 am

1. Diet coke w/lime – lots of ice

2. Grilled chicken cesaer salad

3. Ice Cream

4. Good Fellas Margarita Pizz w/balsamic vinegar drizzled over it.

5. Fruit

mass girl December 12, 2008 at 11:48 am

I’ve read your blog for a long time, and decided to “delurk”

1. Chinese food
2. assorted fruits/vegetables
3. Trader Joes mini crab cakes
4. iced venti nonfat no whip mochas from Starbucks
5. water

mass girls last blog post..NYC Recap

Heidi / Savory Tv December 12, 2008 at 5:37 pm

This one is easy to answer!

warm homemade soup

Italian food

coffee

red wine

sushi!

Heidi / Savory Tvs last blog post..Holiday Appetizers: Salmon Pizza with Jacques Pépin

Tracy December 16, 2008 at 11:48 am

My kids are 11 & 13 but we have those kinds of conversations all the time. They come up with all kinds of hypothetical situations to comment on.

Drinks are easiest: Diet Coke and black coffee, preferably Jamaican Me Crazy from Finger Lakes Coffee Roasters

Food: oh gosh it depends on the time of year … did the beverages use up two selections? OK, I’ll say Ben & Jerry’s ice creams (all the flavors make up one choice, right?) … quiche (various, but if I had to be one it would be a classic Quiche Lorraine) … and … oh gosh, a salad with greens, dried fruit, candied nuts, and a nice vinaigrette.

That was hard…

Tracys last blog post..A Quick Holiday Gift from the Microwave

Kettlecorn Guy April 25, 2009 at 7:20 pm

1. Kettle corn
2. Anything Asian
3. more kettle corn. :-)

Holly@dates dried fruit June 28, 2009 at 5:06 pm

1. Medjool Dates, or other excellent date dried fruit
2. Grilled Shrimp
3. Grilled Fish
4. Grilled Steak
5. Bread

I am kind of boring. I love dried fruit. I enjoy soft drinks, ice cream, and chocolate, but I know could not eat it more than perhaps three times a week.