Happy Birthday Madeline!

by Cate on February 11, 2009

Birthday GirlCould it be a whole year already since Miss Monkeypants arrived on the scene?  Let’s see, right now it’s 8:20 pm.  A year ago today I had just finished delivering Madeline and was waiting to be wheeled up to my hospital room.  I hadn’t eaten or drank anything since the night before and I was about to have the best food ever … crackers, cheese and Ginger Ale.  When you’re that hungry, anything is a feast, and I told the nurse it was the best crackers and cheese ever.  I’m sure she thought I was still loopy from all the excitement.  A few minutes after I hosed down the plate of food, they brought Madeline to my room where we spent the first night together.

A year ago today, it was crazybad weather, with snow and ice coming down like crazy.  So bad, in fact, no one was able to come and visit me in the hospital while I was there.  Today?  A balmy 63 degrees as Madeline and I had lunch outside.  Crazy New Jersey weather.

Big smileA lot has happened in the last month with our little monkey.  She is up to six teeth now, and knows how to use them.  She spent a few minutes this afternoon trying to bite her balloons.  She had kiwi, grapes, duck (not from me!) and kielbasa for the first time and loved them all.  When I saw she was eating The Husband‘s duck while on vacation, I tried to give her my steak instead, and she started shrieking.  She wanted the duck, thankyouverymuch

Madeline and her juice boxShe can now drink from a juice box and loves it.  I think it makes her feel like a big girl.  She comes up to us and buries her head in our legs to give us little hugs.  She can do “high-five,” find her belly and gives kisses.  Her kisses, though, are on our cheek and open-mouth.  Picture being sucked on by your dog and you’ve got it.

Monkey MadnessI tried to get a good picture of her and her birthday t-shirt today, but the little stinker wouldn’t sit still. She is still just as obsessed with monkeys as she was last month, and has added a few new ones to her collection.  When we were in a gift shop in St. Thomas last month, she started shrieking, “Mah!  Mah!  Mah!”  Code word for monkey.  There it was, a monkey hanging from a top shelf.  Last weekend in a craft store, she spotted a huge foam monkey.  “Mah!  Mah!  Mah!”  And now it is proudly displayed in our kitchen.  Tonight she got a pink monkey from Nick, and a pair from The Husband and I.  She refused to eat dinner until the Mah! Mah! Mah!was sitting squished next to her in the high chair.

Happy birthday baby!

Flyaways

Baby Toes

On the move

Happy Baby

Back Seat View

I'm a big girl now

Tyanne February 11, 2009 at 10:40 pm

Oh, she is so cute.

And I understand about the cheese and crackers….it was around 1 am after Brenden was born and all the nurses had was a salad from the cafeteria with thousand island dressing, and I ate every last spot of food on that plate and thought it was the best food ever. Hey, I was hungry after all that work.

Claire February 12, 2009 at 12:43 am

Happy Birthday, Madeline!!!! What a character you have there. I TOTALLY know the kisses you’re talking about. Does she sleep with any of the monkeys? It would be fun if she kept that fascination!

Claires last blog post..Birthdays All Around

the husband February 12, 2009 at 7:44 am

the husband
thank you honey for giving me a year ago today one of the best gifts ever – our little girl [aka monkey] – thank you and love you
happy birthday my little princess

The Sister In-Law February 12, 2009 at 8:15 am

I was in Vegas when I got her first pictures and I had a drink to celebrate. She was beautiful then and she’s beautiful now!!! Happy Birthday Miss Madeline!! Love Tia

SIL

Sister February 12, 2009 at 9:45 am

Happy Birthday Maddie!!!!!! Hope you had a fun day-

paula February 12, 2009 at 10:55 am

I can’t believe she’s a year old already.

Happy 1st Birthday Madeline!

paulas last blog post..Basic recipe but a crowd-pleaser

Kris February 12, 2009 at 1:22 pm

That was a fast year!

Happy 1st Birthday!

Erika February 12, 2009 at 1:27 pm

Happy Birthday Madeline!

Erikas last blog post..This Is What Polenta Is Supposed To Be!

Kimmy February 12, 2009 at 10:47 pm

I call my little guy (5.5 months old) Monkey and he too loves them. Has one in the car, one in the crib, one on his boucing car, One that goes in his diaper bag. The funny thing I could not remember how to make a money sound so I meowed instead and he laughed so hard. So when my son gets older and someone says what does a monkey say he will meow. LOL
And total with you on food after your child is born. First son I wanted to eat the puddle so bad but I fell a sleep and the nurse took my puddle away LOL.

Cate February 13, 2009 at 9:50 am

Tyanne – I totally hear you!

Claire – if she could sleep with them all, she would, believe me. She’ll settle for 2 or 3, which is good. It’s funny because she looks for specific ones at different times. She is definitely quite the character.

Kimmy – I gotta ask … “puddle?”

Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes! She had a great day, and is stretching it out all the way until Saturday afternoon, in true family tradition.

Maria February 16, 2009 at 12:32 pm