Pigs in a Blanket, Version 2.0

by Cate on March 31, 2009

Posh Piggies

When The Husband and I got married, I asked him what types of food he wanted to see at the reception.

“I don’t care what it is, as long as there are Pigs in a Blanket” came the answer.

What is it about men and Pigs in a Blanket?

The Sister-in-Law was over for dinner this weekend and I was looking for a new appetizer recipe to make, so when I saw this recipe for a more elegant, updated version of Pigs in a Blanket, I knew it would be perfect.   It’s from the February 2009 issue of Ladies’ Home Journal and was crazysimple to make.  The platter didn’t even make it out of the kitchen before Nick had polished off four.  I take this as a considerable victory since if I just sliced up the sausage and put it in front of him, I guarantee you he would make a plea for leftovers from the fridge.  That’s his newest way to avoid eating something I make that he thinks he won’t like.  “Mom, I’ll have leftovers.  It helps you out to clean out the refrigerator.”  Right.

Whether you’re looking for a quick starter that is family-friendly, or something different for your next dinner party or soiree, these Posh Piggies are sure to please.

Posh Piggies (although a cute name, I’m sticking with Pigs in a Blanket, Version 2.0)
Recipe courtesy of Ladies Home Journal

Cut 1 lb sweet Italian sausage links into 36 half-inch slices.  Brush a sheet of thawed frozen puff pastry with a beaten egg and cut 36 circles of pastry using a 1-1/4 inch fluted cutter.  (I used a small cookie cutter that I had in the shape of a tulip; perfect for Spring).  Top each sausage round with a pastry circle and sprinkle with sesame seeds.  Skewer each stack with a toothpick and place on a baking sheet.  Bake in a 400 degree oven until pastry is golden, 18 to 20 minutes.

Serve with Apricot Mustard Dip: stir together 6 tablespoons Dijon mustard, 2 tablespoons mayo and 1/4 cup apricot jam.  (I used the general idea, but instead used about 3T Dijon,  1 T mayo and 2T orange marmalade – yum.  I nuked the marmalade for a few seconds in the microwave first, to make it easier to mix).

Sarah Caron March 31, 2009 at 9:09 pm

Cate, who’s husband are you talking about? Because my husband and I had pretty much the Very. Same. Conversation. when we were getting married. Freaky.

Hey, should the sausage be precooked? Or do you slice it up raw?

Sarah Carons last blog post..Simple Pleasure: The Easy Tuna Salad

Cate March 31, 2009 at 9:17 pm

Sarah – LOL, too funny. They are definitely cut from the same cloth. No, the sausage isn’t precooked. Because it’s just a small piece under each piece of puff pastry, it cooks in the time it’s in the oven. It’s the regular sausage that you would use to make sausage and peppers…

Chrissy March 31, 2009 at 10:12 pm

That’s too funny about the Pigs in a Blanket at the reception. Come to think of it, every guy I know loves them too. Although in my family we prefer Drunken Weiners. :-) This recipe looks great! And, of course, now that I’m in the mood for them, I’ll probably be making it soon.

Sara March 31, 2009 at 11:55 pm

My husband wanted finger sandwiches at our wedding. They got vetoed :). These look so good!

Saras last blog post..Apple and pomegranate tart tatin

Elyse April 1, 2009 at 1:32 am

I love these jazzed up piggies! How perfect. I’m always the one who polishes off appetizers like this. I can’t wait to make these!! Thanks for this simple, yet ELEGANT appetizer tip!

jan April 1, 2009 at 10:03 am

Flashback to the 80s: ‘Back in the day’ we went to some potlucks. Someone always posted that they were making “finger salad” and I managed not to prank it. I carved a carrot to look like a finger and wanted to slip it in with the “veggies and ranch dip.”

Natasha - 5 Star Foodie April 1, 2009 at 10:39 am

These are so adorable and sound really delicious! I like the sesame seeds.

Natasha – 5 Star Foodies last blog post..Are you going to Scarborough Fair?

Stacey Snacks April 1, 2009 at 10:41 am

Funny, when we got married at The Manor (you know where it is in NJ), the fancy pants hors d’oevres did not include weenies……..so, at special request, along with the duck, rabbit, crepes and lobster, we had a silver tray with those “have to have” pigs in blankets for my husband! They were the first thing to go!

Stacey Snackss last blog post..Roasted Cauliflower Salad w/ Freekeh & Fried Prosciutto

Paula April 1, 2009 at 2:05 pm

I don’t know what it is but men adore them! My husband and brother-in-law went crazy over them at Christmas claiming they were the best thing I made..unbelievable;)

Paulas last blog post..Lasagne of Emilia-Romagna, The Daring Bakers go Italian

The Sister In-Law April 1, 2009 at 6:41 pm

These were great!!! I must try them at home real soon.

SIL

Tracey April 1, 2009 at 11:03 pm

Wow, that’s my husband too! The ONLY thing he cared about related to the food at our wedding – “I need my pigs in a blanket.”

Traceys last blog post..Buttermilk Fantails

Tonia April 2, 2009 at 8:36 am

Oh, that’s my husband too. Pigs in a Blanket had to be at our reception & everyone ate them up. I think I’ll surprise Mike with these on Saturday. The dipping sauce sounds great.

Tonias last blog post..Cracked Potatoes

Ashley April 9, 2009 at 6:55 pm

These are adorable! Men just LOVE pigs in a blanket!

Ashleys last blog post..Mrs. Sigg’s Snickerdoodles