Straight from the Cookie Jar: Butter Crunch Cookies

by Cate on March 16, 2009

Butter Crunch Cookies

The Husband made a roast pork last night for dinner, and I took care of the rice and salad.  Since it made for an easy night in the kitchen, it was the perfect opportunity to hit my stack of to-try recipes and tackle another one.  The glass cookie jar on the counter was getting dangerously low and it was time to rectify that situation.

This recipe comes from a special Cookies magazine that Taste of Home put out around the Christmas holidays, and although I’m not a big fan of rolling cookies into little balls (I usually give that job to Nick, who luckily not only loves it, but is a pro at it), it was in the oven in under fifteen minutes.  Even with a minor substitution in the recipe, the end result is just short of an OMG cookie.  Seriously rivaling my current favorite, those Cinnamon-Nut Spice Cookies, they are buttery, crispy and downright addicting.

Have a few minutes?  Go on and fill up your cookie jar with these babies … you won’t be disappointed.

Butter Crunch Cookies
Recipe courtesy of Taste of Home Cookies magazine

• 2 cups butter, softened
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 4 cups cornflakes, lightly crushed (I used half cornflakes, half Rice Krispies)
  • 1 cup chopped pecans

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Combine the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in the cornflakes and pecans.

Roll into 1-in. balls. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks.

Yield: about 8 dozen.

Patsy Kreitman March 16, 2009 at 9:34 pm

Yum! May have to make these soon, I’ve got 2 helpers for the rolling part! :)

Patsy Kreitmans last blog post..Bookmarked Recipes Round-up

kellypea March 16, 2009 at 9:35 pm

Anything with “butter” in the name is good by me! The cereal in these sounds perfect. I’ll have to try them on my son. He’s working through Girl Scout cookies right now, so I’m getting a cookie baking break.

kellypeas last blog post..Soda Bread

Claire March 16, 2009 at 9:51 pm

These do look wonderful! I really like the addition of cereals to cookies…gives them a yummy crunch! I don’t like rolling either, so I usually use my cookie scoop…it usually produces a pretty round cookie. ;-)

Claires last blog post..First Omlete

Sarah March 16, 2009 at 10:18 pm

Thanks for making my mouth water. Those look amazingly delish. Wow.

But seriously woman, rolling by hand? You need a small cookie scoop. It makes perfect cookies every time with way less mess.

Sarahs last blog post..Drink Like an Irishman

Kris March 17, 2009 at 8:15 am

These look so good! Have to figure out a substitute for the nuts – nobody would eat them with nuts.

My 8 year old is my official kitchen helper. She does a great job. At Christmas time she was over a friend’s house and they were making cookies with her friend’s mom. The mom couldn’t believe how well my daughter rolled cookies. That’s my girl!

Carolyn Jung March 20, 2009 at 6:42 pm

I want to just reach into that jar and pull one out to nosh on. If only I could!!

Carolyn Jungs last blog post..What’s Your Favorite Cookbook of 2008?

Sharon May 3, 2009 at 11:59 am

I substituted toffee bits for the pecans and they were to die for!!