Cupcake Pops

by Cate on April 16, 2009

Cake Balls
Different friends fill different spots in your life.  Some are your kids’ friends’ parents and you become friends through your kids, and find yourself at many a school activity together, and then it just spills over into everything else.  Some become your friends because you’re neighbors.  Some you carry through from grammar school.  Some friends bring wine.  Some bring meatballs.  Out of all my little circles of friends, I don’t think anyone has ever brought me baked goods.  I’ve gotten spaghetti sauce, meatballs, chicken entrees, wine, but nobody bakes.  Usually I’M that friend, and the kids and I deliver baked goods to friends, neighbors and more a few times during the week.  Until last week…

The doorbell rang and after I corralled the kids and the dog, I ran to open it.  No make-up, hair completely unbrushed and tangled.  Heck, I’m not even sure I brushed my teeth yet.  In my defense, it was early morning!  There stood a new neighbor bearing baked goods.  This could be my new favorite kind of neighbor.  It sure beats the ones with barking dogs and cars that block me from getting out of our driveway!  Geez, I hate those kind.

Just as important as the fact that she was bearing baked goods was the fact that she was offering up cupcake pops, something I have seen all over (and most recently on her Flickr page), but as adorable as I think they are, I’m scared to make them.  They are too cute for words and I know I don’t have the patience to do them justice.  I’d just mess them up.  So her gift was even more welcome.  She used the basic recipe from Bakerella, and once you skim through all the different versions that Bakerella herself has done, you’ll be making a plan to gather the ingredients together yourself.  I am thisclose.  The ones that Kris dropped off are awesome (hello?  cupcakes!) and she has definitely mastered the technique.  In case you’re inspired as I was, I’ve included some tips below that she shared with me so yours (and mine!) will look just as good.

A. Leave yourself plenty of time – they take forever – bake your cake the day before and roll them into balls and put in refrig. I like to put mine in the freezer.

B. 2 Bags of Wilton Melts is not enough for one batch of cake mix. Buy at least 4.

C. Don’t use the whole can of frosting. Finally did this with the latest batch and it did the trick. They will be
more firm and won’t fall off the stick when you dip. Also, dip your stick in the melts before inserting.

D. If using Wilton melts – add some Crisco shortening. It will thin the melts out and everything will be smoother.
Bakerella doesn’t use Wilton melts, but I found this hint while reading through the hints on her site.

E. I use pyrex dishes for my melts that were my grandmothers – they are rectangular and deep. Today I turned
my electric griddle on low and sat the glass dishes on top – it helped keep the temperature even. Just be careful not to burn yourself.

Jamie April 17, 2009 at 5:41 am

These cake pops look great. Are they worth the effort? I don’t know, but I assume that these yummy treats would disappear a lot faster than it took to make them.

Jamies last blog post..RISE TO THE CHALLENGE

Kris #40 April 17, 2009 at 7:44 am

OMG! I recognize those!

We are thinking about having a girls night in and making these – what could be better than drinking wine, having some appetizers and making cake balls? Should I put you on the list?

Lesley April 17, 2009 at 7:46 am

Those are absolutely adorable and look fabulous!!

Lesleys last blog post..Happy At Houlihan’s

Natasha - 5 Star Foodie April 17, 2009 at 8:11 am

These are so adorable!

Natasha – 5 Star Foodies last blog post..Change of Season – Shrimp Scampi and a Burger

Cathy April 17, 2009 at 9:30 am

Cute! And what a great new neighbor. I prefer the wine bearing ones myself, but I could be corralled into eating a cupcake pop.

Cathys last blog post..The pictures don’t do it justice

huda April 17, 2009 at 9:54 am

wow! looks great. :p

hudas last blog post..Banana on Cupcakes

Sara April 17, 2009 at 12:32 pm

How adorable! What a fun treat, nice new neighbor you’ve got there.

Saras last blog post..California brittle brownies

paula April 17, 2009 at 2:47 pm

I tried to make cake balls recently and they ended up in the trash. It wasn’t until after I made them that I read that you shouldn’t use all of the frosting. They were too wet.

So too bad I don’t have a neighbor like yours since that might be the only way I get to have these. I don’t know if I’m willing to try again.

paulas last blog post..Chomping at the bit

Debbie April 17, 2009 at 8:04 pm

I think they are just the cutest thing….I love the colors!

Sarah Caron April 17, 2009 at 11:30 pm

Ooooh, those look delish. Sounds like an awesome treat. Geesh. I need neighbors like that!

Sarah Carons last blog post..Fertile Fridays: Preparing Our Raised Garden Beds For Growing

Kristen April 18, 2009 at 9:56 pm

I want a neighbor like that! Those look incredible!!

Kristens last blog post..Adopt a Blogger #3 (Recipe: Honey I’m Home Bread)

RecipeGirl April 19, 2009 at 10:55 am

So cute :) Lucky you! I’ve done a couple of version of the cake pops. They’re so fun to experiment with.

RecipeGirls last blog post..Milky Way Brownies

Cynthia April 19, 2009 at 11:20 am

That neighbour is a keeper.

Cynthias last blog post..An Italian Challenge

pamela April 19, 2009 at 8:52 pm

I’ve been wanting to try these, but I just can’t make the timing work. Someday…
What a nice thing for your new neighbor to do, though!

pamelas last blog post..Chicken & Broccoli

Elyse April 20, 2009 at 2:46 am

What a wonderful treat! Everyone loves a neighbor who comes bearing gifts, especially when those gifts are cupcake pops!!

Elyses last blog post..Sweet Melissa Sundays: Apple (Pear) Turnovers

Cate O'Malley April 20, 2009 at 8:20 pm

Jamie – I totally hear you. I loved receiving them and am sorely tempted to make them, but these days patience and time is in short demand. ;) Good thing I’ve got Kris!

Kris – sounds like fun – sure!

Everyone else – I completely agree – this is a good neighbor to have!

Melissa April 21, 2009 at 8:30 am

I just ran across these online by chance. . .but I officially want to live in YOUR neighborhood! Wine and cupcake pops? Count me in! lol