Cinnamon Roll Cake

by Cate on June 24, 2009

Cinnamon Roll Cake

The first time I made this recipe for Cinnamon Roll Cake, it was a few weeks ago for a school function. I brought in about three-quarters of the batch and came home with an empty dish and several requests for the recipe. The last few pieces got gobbled up by a neighbor and the babysitter. And then I realized I had forgotten to take a picture. Oops. It was too good not to share with you guys, but I hate sharing a food item and not having a picture to go along with it. What’s a girl to do?

Make it again, of course. That plan worked out especially well since the neighbor was already looking for more (those pregnancy cravings are kicking into high gear with her nearing the end of her last trimester).  This batch disappeared nearly as quickly as the first, but I managed to snag two pieces to snap a quick pic.

I may have some very particular likes and dislikes when it comes to food, even some quirks if you will, but I am no food snob and am not above using a cake mix here and there.  And it’s a good thing, because since the base of this recipe is a cake mix, I would have totally missed out otherwise.  Although it’s called a Cinnamon Roll Cake, I don’t think it really tastes like a cinnamon roll.  It does, however, taste like a cake with cinnamon flavoring and sweet icing.  A crazy moist cake.  So much so that you really need to eat it in the first day or two (as if that’s a problem!), because the longer it sits, the moister (read: wetter) it gets.  While not necessarily a bad thing, it is, however, a messy thing. Enjoy!

Cinnamon Roll Cake
Recipe from My Tasty Treasures (fun blog, but sometimes not for the faint of heart), who got it from Abby Sweets

Yellow Cake Mix
4 eggs
¾ cup oil
1 cup sour cream

Mix by hand and pour in 13 x 9 greased baking pan.

1 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
Mix and pour over cake batter. Swirl into batter with knife.

Bake @ 325 for 40 minutes. Let cake cool 10 – 15 minutes before icing.

Icing:
2 cups powdered sugar
4 tbsp milk

Pour over warm cake.

kiss my spatula June 25, 2009 at 1:37 am

awh shucks, i was a little sad when you wrote ‘i don’t really think it tastes like a cinnamon roll’ since i’m a sucker for those evil things, but the cake sure looks tasty and anything that gets gobbled up so quickly time and time again is a must try for me!

MariaV June 25, 2009 at 6:15 am

My husband will love this one. Thanks, Cate.

Cathy June 25, 2009 at 8:46 am

Really?? Donna’s blog hey? I’m going to give this a try. Like you, I break out a cake mix every now and then – after doctoring them up sometimes you can’t even tell they weren’t from scratch.

Joanne June 25, 2009 at 9:10 am

I love Donna’s blog and you’re right it’s definitely not for the faint of heart! This cake looks so delicious. But I happen to love anything with cinnamon in the title.

Jess June 25, 2009 at 9:38 am

Sounds so yummy. I am a cake mix queen! A long time ago my mom made some cookie bars out of cake mix. I loved them so much I made them when I was prego with #2 and ate the whole pan by myself!

Ali June 25, 2009 at 10:47 am

awesome! I am gonna make this one soon. Thanks Cate for the great recipe :)

Debbie June 25, 2009 at 1:17 pm

I saw that cake on both blogs and I want to make it also. Your looks so good!!!! Perfect with a cup of coffee…

Stacy June 25, 2009 at 6:55 pm

This is such a good cake! I’ve been making it for years, except we’ve always called it a honey bun cake. I think the only difference is that my frosting calls for a teaspoon of vanilla added to the sugar and milk. It’s so good and so moist… if it wasn’t 100 degrees here today, I might turn on the oven and make it :)

Magda June 25, 2009 at 8:08 pm

yum yum yum yum yum….thanks…you do the most incredible things with cake mix!!

ttfn300 June 26, 2009 at 11:42 am

so easy! must try this sometime :)

ASHLEA June 26, 2009 at 11:58 am

yum… this looks amazing and soo easy!!

ingrid June 26, 2009 at 9:08 pm

Hi, I’ve made this several times myself after drooling over it on April’s blog, Thanks for reminding me its been a bit since I made it! :)
~ingrid

Janet June 26, 2009 at 11:51 pm

Oh so yum! Can’t go wrong with a cake like this!

ladybughugs June 27, 2009 at 11:05 pm

One of the girls in my office is leaving and we were asked to bring in treats on Tuesday, so this is perfect timing and easy enough to do after work on Monday!

Donna June 28, 2009 at 10:34 pm

So glad you liked the cake. Thanks for the shout out.

grace June 29, 2009 at 12:23 pm

it needn’t taste like a cinnamon roll in order for me to love it. this is the ultimate cake for the ultimate cinnamon lover (that would be me). :)

Magda June 30, 2009 at 12:00 pm

I made this yesterday. GREAT! We had several people stop by unexpected (grandma + friend, 21 year old step son + friend and in laws) and th 9 x 13 cake gone by the end of the night. Thanks for posting!

The Duo Dishes June 30, 2009 at 3:26 pm

Want these now. Can they be shipped to Los Angeles stat? :)

Tyanne July 2, 2009 at 12:04 pm

WOW!!! I made this last night and more than half of it is already gone. It was soooo good and easy to make, thanks for the recipe.

maris July 2, 2009 at 2:22 pm

MMM from the looks of this cake, I would make it and then “accidentally” forget to take pictures. Twice!

AntBee October 26, 2009 at 10:07 pm

This is the recipe for the “Honey Bun” Cake which is published in Betty Crocker’s cook book back in the day. It has been around a lont time.

Some folks pour half the batter then sprinkle with the brown sugar/cinn/chopped pecans, then spread remainder batter on top and bake.

Cake bakes up better if you beat about 50 storkes by hand, and have all your ingredients at room temp.

Very delicious!

Ali May 18, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Following up to say this was delicious! Thanks for another great recipe :)