Recipe: Orzo with Herbs

by Cate on June 15, 2009

I rarely make orzo, and I’m not quite sure why.  It really is a perfectly yummy rice-shaped pasta, and around here, you can’t go wrong with pasta.  Last week, when I made those scrumptious chicken meatballs from Giada, I couldn’t decide what to serve with it.  At first I was thinking just a red sauce and spaghetti, and I’d call it a day.  But then … but then I spied a recipe for Orzo with Herbs in the newest issue of Food Network magazine.  Oh how I love that magazine!

I had made the meatballs before our day barely even started, so when the orzo was nearly done, I slid the meatballs into the pan to let them warm through a bit.  A few minutes later, I took it all off the heat and spooned it into a bowl and called the kids.  Nick took one look at dinner and asked what we had in the fridge for leftovers.  But Madeline and I?  We went to town.  And back.  And to town again.  The meatballs were still as tender and delicious as I remembered them when I had one early in the morning.  And in that orzo?  Oh man.  And the combination?  Unbeatable.

Perfect comfort, tummy-warming food, but it’s light enough that it knows no season.  Wait, does that make sense?  It does in my head.  Meaning, that although it seems like a hearty meal, it won’t weigh you down in the dregs of spring and summer weather.  Of course, I wouldn’t know anything about that because here in the Northeast we’re all about the 40 days and nights of rain now, but that just makes this kismet-kissed dish all the more perfect.

Now, rest assured, you don’t have to go and make your meatballs at 8 am like I did.  Between the meatballs and the orzo, this dish comes together quick enough that it’s perfect for your crazy weeknight dinners … or a lazy way to spend a Sunday.  Either way, you can’t go wrong.

Orzo with Herbs
Recipe courtesy of Food Network magazine

Cook 2 cups orzo in salted boiling water until al dente, about 8 minutes; drain. Chop 6 scallions; cook just the white parts in a skillet with olive oil until tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in the orzo, 2 cups chicken broth, the scallion greens and a handful each of chopped parsley and dill; season with salt and pepper. Simmer until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup grated parmesan.

debbie June 15, 2009 at 10:23 pm

That sounds deelish. I do an even easier one, out of a Moosewood book I think, that’s just cooked orzo tossed with good olive oil and several tablespoons of finely chopped herbs. Fantastic & super-easy.

debbies last blog post..They Can’t All Be Winners

Janet June 16, 2009 at 1:06 am

I love Orzo… bu like you, I can’t figure why I don’t make it more often!

Janets last blog post..Peach Blueberry Galette

Joanne June 16, 2009 at 8:48 am

I love simple dishes like this. I rarely cook with orzo either! It just never seems like it will be filling enough to me but I guess a pound of pasta is a pound of pasta no matter what shape it is.

Joannes last blog post..Slaws and Potato Salads

Ramona June 16, 2009 at 8:52 am

I usually end up putting my orzo in soups. Your recipe sounds good.

Ramona

Ramonas last blog post..The only good fly

Cathy June 16, 2009 at 9:11 am

Orzo is a great alternative to pasta and rice. Usually when I want to mix it up I make a risotto out of the orzo – delicious! Your meatballs are on my list to make and now they are going to have to be served with orzo! I hear you on loving that magazine too – it’s my new favourite!

Cathys last blog post..Maybe blogging in the summer is tough….

Maris June 16, 2009 at 11:42 am

This looks great. I’m always on the hunt for simple side dishes that you can make on the stovetop.

Mariss last blog post..The Cranberry Bait and Switch: Citrus Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Patsy June 16, 2009 at 12:58 pm

Orzo is something we also enjoy, and I don’t think to make it often enough! So simple to dress it up with great flavors!

Patsys last blog post..Baseball Cupcakes & Giveaway Reminder!

Debbie June 16, 2009 at 1:51 pm

I love orzo and usually only have it in chicken soup. I should cook it more often different ways….

Debbies last blog post..Raspberry Buttermilk Cake

Natasha - 5 Star Foodie June 16, 2009 at 10:14 pm

I love making orzo for a side dish and this is an excellent preparation!

Natasha – 5 Star Foodies last blog post..Kurobuta Pork Chops

Cynthia June 17, 2009 at 1:46 am

Orzo with meatballs – what a delicious idea. Bookmarked!

Cynthias last blog post..Claim Your Steak

Sophie June 17, 2009 at 7:11 am

I love orzo, I just don’t use it enough. Now, I want to make a change & try this yummie recipe!

Sophies last blog post..Asian inspired burger, served with an Asian coleslaw & sweet chili sauce

lisaiscooking June 17, 2009 at 7:41 pm

Orzo with herbs sounds great! Sounds like perfect comfort food with meatballs too.

lisaiscookings last blog post..Smoked Salmon-Black Bean Tostaditas