Pizza Bubble Bread

by Cate on July 23, 2009

Pizza Bubble Bread

Have you seen the new magazine Mixing Bowl?  It’s on newsstands now and is one of those Special Interest Publications published by Better Homes & Gardens.  I picked it up a few weeks ago and finally had a chance to sit down and read through it this weekend.  It is completely filled with recipes from contributors.  Kind of like Taste of Home is, although different enough to be its own animal.  They also have a companion website that you might be interested in checking out.

As I passed the magazine over to my sister, after she saw the stack of clippings that I ripped out, she asked if there was anything left.  Not much, but she managed to find a bunch too.  The first recipe I tried was for Pizza Bubble Bread while we were down the shore this weekend.  The kids are big fans of pizza, so I thought this might be a slightly less messy alternative, particularly for Madeline, and it hit the table Saturday night.

Crazy simple to make, as soon as you take it out of the oven, it smells just like pizza.  ‘Tis a good sign indeed.  I loved it, which reminds me … I think there are a few pieces left in the fridge.  Must dig them out tomorrow.  I think the only thing I would do differently is perhaps just add a smidge more mozzarella cheese.  Just a bit.  Otherwise, I like it just the way it is.  It would also be good with a little marinara sauce on the side for dipping.  Just sayin’.

A perfect little snack for kids, or a nice accompaniment on spaghetti night.  Whenever you make it, this tasty tidbit is a nice introduction to a new magazine.  Enjoy!

Pizza Bubble Bread
Recipe courtesy of Mixing Bowl magazine

1 tube refrigerated biscuits (10-count)
1/2 cup pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Grease a 12-inch pizza pan. Sprinkle with cornmeal (optional). Separate the biscuits, then snip or cut each biscuit into 4 pieces. Place the pieces in a bowl with the sauce and toss to coat. Arrange dough pieces in an 8-inch circle in the pizza pan. Sprinkle with the cheese. Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes or until golden.

doggybloggy July 24, 2009 at 12:29 am

thanks for this – it is perfect kid food – for kids of all ages – even me

Joanne July 24, 2009 at 8:11 am

This is one of those really obvious ideas that you’d never think of on your own and then you hear about it and you’re like, “Ugh, why didn’t I think of that!”. Looks super good.

mandy July 24, 2009 at 8:57 am

This sounds delicious and would make a great appetizer while hanging out with friends on the deck enjoying an adult beverage. Thanks for sharing!

Cathy July 24, 2009 at 9:14 am

This is the second recipe for pizza bubble bread I’ve seen in a week. Must be fate – time to give it a try ;)

jan July 24, 2009 at 10:15 am

thanks… I just now signed up for the website sub. The pizza bubble bread has now risen to the top of my “try” list. Thank you!!

Ramona July 24, 2009 at 11:08 am

That sounds like it might be supper tonight. I like kid food.

I haven’t seen the magazine yet, but love Taste of Home.

Ramona

Jess July 24, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Sounds so yummy. I am so luvin’ your blog! Can I blame you if I start gaining weight? lol Only kidding. Kind of.

Susan July 24, 2009 at 2:58 pm

I always keep one of those tubes of biscuits on hand for just these sorts of things. What a great idea…and probably better than those frozen pizza rolls I’ve been known to serve!

{kiss my spatula} July 24, 2009 at 7:35 pm

the name itself is enough for me to love it! :)

Ashley July 25, 2009 at 12:24 am

This looks like a tasty and easy recipe – mmmmmm….

jan July 27, 2009 at 9:24 am

no biscuit tubes in the house. I made a batch of pizza dough with the bread machine and used it for one small pie and a pizza bubble bread. The bubble bread was nice to pick at with a salad. There will be recipe-tweaking in the future because it …was…that…good. Thanks for sharing, Cate!

Mel the Dietitian July 27, 2009 at 9:48 am

Looks yummy, Cate!! And simple too, which is never a bad thing.

Julia @ Mélanger July 28, 2009 at 8:44 am

This looks absolutely lovely. Not sure about the comments re: perfect kid food. I think I would have to eat this before they could even see it! :)

Michael Bleser August 6, 2009 at 1:21 pm

I have to say – these were awful.

I love the site but this is the third recipe that looks great in the blog and is disappointing. It always concerns me when all the comments made are by those who have yet to make the recipe. I’ll continue to follow but looking for substance over style –

thanks for taking my comments – michael

Cate August 6, 2009 at 10:27 pm

Michael – I’m sorry that you didn’t like it. I wouldn’t classify it as a “wow” recipe, but think it’s a fun bread to pick at while served alongside a main course, you know? What were the other recipes that you tried and didn’t like? Maybe we just have different tastes?

The Bread Winner September 6, 2009 at 12:26 pm

WHile it sounds really intersting, this one might be a little bit crispy for me. I prefer bread with the soft insides

Lisa March 30, 2010 at 5:03 pm

I have tried this recipe and loved it…I have made monkey bread for breakfast in a similar manner so I knew I would. To “The Bread Winner”, while some of the outer pieces were crispy the inner ones were slightly doughy. The perfect combination in my book!

Kristi November 14, 2010 at 7:07 pm

I have been making this recipe for years. My son who is now 12 loves it. I started making it when he was 2. It is simple and extremely easy. You can add meat to this as well. We sometimes add hamburger or sausage or pepperoni. The first time I made this was in a high school home ec class and that was about 17 years ago.