A New Chapter

by Cate on August 12, 2009

Over the past few months, I have eluded to some big changes happening in the Sweetnicks’ household. There’s been much going on behind the scenes — and I am not just talking about a fury of cooking. We’ve been simplifying and feeling our way along a new path. I’ve been packing for a big move that the kids and I are very excited about. This weekend, we will unpack in our new home, ready to begin the next chapter of our journey. I can’t wait …

You might have noticed that The Husband wasn’t mentioned above, and you may have even noticed that he hasn’t been mentioned much in the recent months. That’s because he won’t be making this big move with us. Sometimes, things just don’t work out as we plan or hope and that is the case with our marriage. Earlier this year, we separated.

Regardless of our marital status, The Husband and I remain committed in a common goal: to make our children’s lives as happy, fun and rewarding as possible. He is still every bit a part of the kids’ lives, and sees them often. It’s been a hard transition, but this move will help us in the next stage of our lives.

I’ve held off on talking about this, because I didn’t know what to say or how to say it. It’s been like the pink elephant in my kitchen. But I also wanted to get it out in the open for all of my loyal readers so I don’t have to avoid the topic — after all, cooking as a single mom is an adventure all its own!

Sarah Caron August 12, 2009 at 10:30 pm

I cannot wait to hear more about your new adventures as a single mom. This might not be the path you intended to take, but it will all be okay. And if you ever need anything … :)

Kelly August 12, 2009 at 10:40 pm

Good luck to all of you, Cate!

rhoda August 12, 2009 at 10:43 pm

well, i’m sure you’re relieved to have let the pink elephant out of the kitchen! life is about changes and taking new paths. wishing you well in your new chapter!

Kalyn August 12, 2009 at 10:57 pm

Good luck as you go into this new phase of your life. I think this kind of thing is always difficult, but I also know you are up for the challenge. Wishing you all the best.

Karen August 13, 2009 at 7:42 am

Good luck with the move and the new adventure. Seems like you have a basics down and realize that kids are the most important thing.

Joanne August 13, 2009 at 8:10 am

Good luck on entering this new chapter. You are such a strong woman and I know that everything will turn out for the best for you and your family.

Patsy August 13, 2009 at 8:26 am

Good luck to all of you! You will find your way during this new chapter because it’s what you and the kids need to do.

Cathy August 13, 2009 at 8:51 am

Best of luck as you move forward – I know that everything will work out for the best for you and your kids are lucky to have such an incredible mom!

Josie August 13, 2009 at 9:43 am

Hang in there Cate. Good luck with the big move!

sizzle August 13, 2009 at 9:44 am

I wish you all the best on your next chapter in life!

mandy August 13, 2009 at 10:47 am

Good luck as you move on to this next phase of your life.

debbie August 13, 2009 at 10:54 am

Go, Cate! I’m sorry to read you’re going through something so huge and painful, but I have no doubt you’ll be just fine. No, better than fine. Spectacular.

Susan August 13, 2009 at 10:59 am

I never know what to say or how to say it when I’m on this side of the fence, let alone if I were on the otherside, so I’ll just say good luck with this new chapter and I look forward to seeing what the future brings you. :-)

Debbie August 13, 2009 at 11:07 am

Hi Cate,

You are a smart lady and I wish you and your children all the best during your transition. Your kids will be fine because you are a fantastic mom!

doggybloggy August 13, 2009 at 12:10 pm

recognizing when change needs to happen and then making that change is the sign of a very powerful person – while I always think there are pink elephants in every room I did not notice yours….I cant wait for the rest of the book!

Susan August 13, 2009 at 12:15 pm

Hi Cate

Amazing how strong we women are..right?
You will do great…it’s hard..but you will do fantastically!

Put one foot in front of the other….every little step makes the next one easier.
Best wishes to your family during this trying time and always.

Starnesfam August 13, 2009 at 1:49 pm

What a relief to finally say it, right! A new chapter indeed. Carry on!

Jeff August 13, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Just want to say good luck and looking forward to new chapter updates!

Jennifer August 13, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Best of luck Cate, from someone who has been there.

Natasha - 5 Star Foodie August 13, 2009 at 5:15 pm

Best of luck to you and your family with the new home and everything you have to cope with! I’m looking forward to following your adventures in the “new chapter”.

Tonia August 13, 2009 at 8:33 pm

Cate – Best of luck to you as this new chapter of your life begins. Keep believing in yourself & you’ll do just fine.

Ali August 13, 2009 at 9:03 pm

Good luck on your move — I hope it goes smoothly. Getting into a new place feels like a fresh start — and I know you are smart, strong and ambitious, and you will do GREAT. Cheers to you Cate!

michael bleser August 13, 2009 at 9:27 pm

good luck sounds odd – best wishes is better, and you have what you need already. the love of your family

cheers – to a new home

Cathy @ Chief Family Officer August 13, 2009 at 10:39 pm

I’m sorry you’re going through this but wish you all the best of luck with the transition!

steph August 14, 2009 at 1:30 am

just like this website, you will be fabulous.

the projectivist August 14, 2009 at 7:46 am

i’m on that path too, Cate –
all the best for a happy house-move and some wonderful new beginnings.
x

chris August 14, 2009 at 8:40 am

XXOO – not much else to say but i think you know.

pamela August 14, 2009 at 9:44 am

I’ve been away for a few days and have 8 posts in my reader from your blog. I just wanted to say that I wish you, Nicholas and Miss Madeline nothing but the best as you begin this new chapter. I wish you all happiness and offer support from the internet, just as all of your other fans here have!
Best of luck to all of the Sweetnicks clan. :o)

Ashley August 14, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Good luck with the move – it’s tough but at least you are looking out for your kids…that’s so important! Here’s to the next chapter!

Lee August 14, 2009 at 4:43 pm

I’ve been down that road Cate, and I must say it turned out to be very nice. I wish you the best. Thanks for all you do.

Diane Smith August 14, 2009 at 10:41 pm

Wishing you and your family the best as you begin a new chapter in the book of life — from a loong time reader of your blog…

ttfn300 August 15, 2009 at 12:38 am

best of luck! i’ll be thinking of you guys :)

Kris #40 August 15, 2009 at 2:40 pm

Good luck with the move and wishing you the best as you start a new chapter of your life. Much happiness to you and the kids!

Jenny August 16, 2009 at 11:59 am

Good luck with everything.

Katrina August 16, 2009 at 11:04 pm

Sounds like you’ve got a good handle on things. May you be blessed in all you do (I don’t believe in luck). LOVE your photos on the post before this one! I always love all your photos! Take care.

Laura August 17, 2009 at 12:34 am

thinking of you and the kids…best of luck in your new adventure

paula August 17, 2009 at 10:24 am

Good luck. I wish I could say I was suprised but I’m not. Not because I know anything about your marriage, but lately I have seen several marriages collapse seemingly from out of the blue.

While a broken marriage is sad in many respects, I think it’s a positive thing to be able to admit that something isn’t working and move on.

Magda August 17, 2009 at 4:17 pm

LET’S HAVE PINK ELEPHANT FOR DINNER!

I love you sister!

krhm August 18, 2009 at 11:34 am

I’m late, as usual, but I hope you’ll still see this, Cate. I’ve been a loyal, if sporadic, reader of the blog for years, and even though my cooking habits wax and wane, I mostly come back here for your great attitude and endless amount of energy and optimism. I know this has to be tough and is not the path you would have chosen, but this could open up whole new worlds for you. Plus, just think…you can fill your cupboards with sprinkles, cooking and serving utensils, and piles of cooking magazines and cookbooks, and you’ll never have to justify them to anyone! :)

Ramona August 18, 2009 at 3:48 pm

Just now getting to catch up on the blogs I follow. I know what you’re going thru with the hubby part. But, we didn’t have kids and that makes a big difference.

Wishing you all well.

Ramona

maris August 18, 2009 at 10:21 pm

I admire your positive attitude. I’m sure it’s been difficult but I’m sure one day you’ll look back and know that you made the right choice. Happy mom = happy kids!
And if you ever need to steal a cupcake break in Hoboken, you know who to call to find a partner in crime :)

TEB August 23, 2009 at 8:35 pm

Best wishes to you and your family! I’m sure that this will be an exciting , challenging new path for all of you.

And, on a selfish note, I hope you’re moving someplace not too far. I love checking out the places you review and comparing notes, now that I’m in NY.