Beating Summer Boredom: Shaving Cream Fun

by Cate on August 18, 2009

Pure Happiness-1

I’m not a big fan of the heat.  My favorite season is the Fall, followed by Spring and Winter, with Summer coming in dead last.  New Jersey is known for its crazy humidity, but this summer has been uncharacteristically bearable … until now.  The heat and humidity has been so bad the past few days that today, when talking with a friend who grew up in Mumbai, India, she characterized our weather, particularly the humidity, as worse than it is in India.  Yikes!  I take consolation in the fact that Summer is nearly over, and regularly sing the praises of the person who invented the air conditioner.  What a genius that was!

Lately, in an effort to beat the heat and stay cool, the kids have been dragging out the wading pool and having fun splashing about.  It’s all about the simple things, and a pool full of water, bunched up beach towels, flip-flops and icy cold colorful popsicles make for awesome summer memories.  Lately, though, we’ve added a little shaving cream to the mix.  Tag this under “perhaps the most amount of fun you can have for a buck.”

Taking a queue from Meg, I set a few cans of shaving cream out and let the kids go to town.  I think the pictures say it all.

Miss Madeline-1

Dynamic Duo-1

Starnesfam August 18, 2009 at 11:37 pm

Finally. Someone who doesn’t LOVE summer. I hate it! OK, maybe not HATE. A strong dislike. Fall….winter…..spring…..summer dead last for me. I LOVE Fall – already have my Halloween costumes picked out and am dreaming of pumpkins. Pumpkins everywhere. I can’t wait.

Cute pics!

Diane Smith August 19, 2009 at 8:06 am

Shaving cream is a wonderful and inexpensive way to give a child with sensory integration disorder some therapy as well as lots of fun. My son is on the autism spectrum and when he was younger he would play in the bathtub every night with shaving cream!

Ramona August 19, 2009 at 9:19 am

They look like they are having fun, except the last picture of Madeline – she looks upset about something. What a good way to let them have fun.
Ramona

mandy August 19, 2009 at 3:04 pm

That is awesome. I am taking more and more comfort in the little things these days.

Susan August 20, 2009 at 7:06 pm

I hate summer..not afraid to admit it..HATE IT!

Your kids smiles light up my day..they are adorable!

Magda August 21, 2009 at 10:21 am

I’m with you…could do without summer…unfortunetely, I have to deal with 8 month summers in in southern California…and it hasn’t rained in 4 years. Maybe 5. I can’t for October!

Katrina August 27, 2009 at 12:55 pm

I don’t like summer heat and humidity either!
My mom used to put a little pile of shaving cream on the table and let us finger paint with it, but THIS looks like so much more fun! Love the pics!