Straight from the Cookie Jar: Chocolate Chunk and Cherry Cookies

by Cate on August 4, 2009

Chocolate Chunk and Cherry Cookies

It’s always interesting to find out what people like best out of the recipes I make.  Last week, I promised a co-worker I would bake her whatever she wanted because she helped me out on a project.  “Oh those espresso cookies” she asked for.  I thought she meant the Mocha Truffle Cookies.  Nope.  She was referring to a recipe I made back in April.  I never bothered writing about it here because it did absolutely nothing for me, yet it’s her favorite so far.  I’ll write about it soon, now that I’ve made it again, promise.

These Chocolate Chunk and Cherry Cookies happen to be the favorite of the kids’ babysitter.  With its deep rich chocolatey flavor and little studded bits of cherry sprinkled throughout, it’s no surprise that it is well-liked.  On one of our evening walks recently, we delivered Cookie C.A.R.E. packages to a few of our neighbors along the way.  The recipe comes from the February issue of Country Living magazine, which is a good source of recipes, believe it or not, particularly comfort food ones.

Go on and make friends with a few of your neighbors.  With these babies in your hands, you can’t go wrong.

Chocolate Chunk and Cherry Cookies
Recipe courtesy of Country Living magazine

1 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
1 cup(s) cocoa
1 teaspoon(s) salt
1 teaspoon(s) baking soda
1 cup(s) unsalted butter
3/4 cup(s) granulated sugar
1 1/4 cup(s) (firmly packed) dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoon(s) pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup(s) chopped bittersweet chocolate
1 1/2 cup(s) dried tart cherries
  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking pans with parchment paper and set aside. Combine flour, cocoa, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl and set aside. Beat butter and sugars in a large bowl until light and fluffy, using a mixer set on medium-high speed. Beat in eggs one at a time and add vanilla.
  2. Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually add flour mixture until combined. Stir in chopped chocolate and cherries (for blond Milk Chocolate and Cherry Cookies, omit cocoa, add an additional cup flour, and replace bittersweet chocolate with milk chocolate). Shape 2 tablespoons dough into rough balls and place 2 inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment.
  3. Bake 11 to 13 minutes. Cool cookies on pan 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.

Yield: 4 dozen

Sarah Caron August 4, 2009 at 11:36 pm

I have this feeling that it would be an amazing joy to be your neighbor …all these delicious baked goods. Mmm. I have to admit, I am not a cherry fan — but those cookies sound divine. Mmmm.

Joanne August 5, 2009 at 8:10 am

Everyone does have a very unique taste in food. The majority of the things that my parents like that I make are very basic dishes that I can give or take (like a king ranch casserole that I never posted about). These cookies look far from simple though – chocolate and cherry is so classic!

Amy August 5, 2009 at 8:19 am

What amazes me is when I meet someone who doesn’t like sweets! Cookies should win over anyone’s heart.

These sound yummy. I might even add pecans to my batter.

Starnesfam August 5, 2009 at 8:21 am

What is a cookie C.A.R.E. package? They look delish!

Ramona August 5, 2009 at 9:22 am

I imagine your neighbors love it when you show up with your cookie c.a.r.e. packages. How very sweet of you. I know they must love the attention. And I’m sure they feel special having a great neighbor and friend close by them.

Ramona

Julia @ Mélanger August 6, 2009 at 4:18 am

I am just a fan of beautiful, simple cookies. These are no exception. Lovely!

Donna August 6, 2009 at 7:37 am

Love the sound of these cookies. Cherry and chocolate is a favorite combo of mine!! I have to buy that magazine.. never thought it had recipes in ti!

Angel August 10, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Wow, those look delicious!

Melissa Peterman August 13, 2009 at 8:52 pm

Hello Sweetnicks!

We’ve selected you as our Foodista Food Blog of the Day for this Wednesday August 19th! Your blog for Chocolate Chunk and Cherry Cookies will be featured on the Foodista homepage for 24 hours.
This is a new feature that we recently launched and are thrilled to post your blog.

Since you are now a part of the Foodista Featured Blogger of The Day Community, we’ve created a special badge for you to display proudly on your blog sidebar.

I couldn’t find your email on your blog to send you the access code for the special badge, but I want to make sure you get it if you are interested. Please send me an email and I’ll send it right away.

We are really enjoying your blog and look forward to seeing your recipes, tips and techniques on Foodista!

Cheers,
Melissa Peterman

Melissa Peterman
melissa@foodista.com
Editor and Community Developer
206.818.5724
Foodista- The Cooking Encyclopedia everyone can edit!