Easy Chicken Strips

by Cate on August 27, 2009

Easy Chicken Strips

Thanks so much for all the awesome suggestions to my dinner quandry – you guys are the best! I think my new plan is to spend the next week getting the rest of the kitchen unpacked so I can get ready to groove. I still, and this pains me so, have yet to find the box with all my herbs and spices. One of the last boxes I packed, and actually debated about packing it, because I knew I’d need it sooner rather than later. ‘Tis my project, one of many, for the weekend.

Once I get the kitchen in shape, then I’d like to tackle menu planning again. I feel like that could provide a good framework to making things a little easier when it comes to dinnertime. Even if it’s a loose plan. Knowing me and how well I do with menu plans, the looser the better. Cooking separate meals is not something I’m fond of, nor the picky eater that they tend to create – I’m totally with you all on that one! I haven’t done it yet and don’t plan to start.  Nick isn’t really a picky eater now, and Madeline is far from it, and I really want to continue to foster that. One of our family friends is a picky eater, the worst one I know, and it stems from her mom totally catering to her growing up.  Every time we get together for a meal, I refer to the long list of things she won’t eat.  Such a shame the things she’s missing out on.

There are definitely food items that I like that I know the kids don’t, so maybe I’ll have those on nights when there are leftovers. I guess it feels like it’s a little different with The Husband not here, but in theory, there are a lot of things that I liked that he didn’t either, so it shouldn’t throw me.  Of course, the quantity of food is a whole ‘nother topic.  With him, we’d never have leftovers.  Now I have to remember to look at serving sizes and potentially halve a recipe, or make plans to freeze some or share.  It’s all workable … mostly a case of reprogramming, you know?  Once I find my box of spices – ack!

For tonight’s dinner, I went with something I knew both Madeline and I would like, but that Nick might be on the fence about.  While he might order chicken fingers at a restaurant, he’s not a fan of homemade chicken fingers.  Can’t figure out why since I think homemade chicken fingers are better than the dried out, frozen version restaurants usually serve.  I came across a new recipe for chicken fingers in the September/October issue of Taste of Home’s Simple & Delicious magazine.  This version is baked, not fried, so even with the butter, it’s fairly low in fat (12 grams per serving).  When Nick asked what was for dinner, I kept it short and just said “chicken.”  He peered at the platter and didn’t say anything.  I put two on his plate and the next thing I knew, they were gone.  Ate every last speck.  Apparently the key is to not call them chicken fingers.  Who knew?

Quick and easy to make, it took less than 30 minutes start to finish.  They are slightly crispy with the corn flake coating, yet very tender, making it both kid- and adult-approved.  This is a great use of those little dregs of corn flakes you have floating around the cupboard.  Truth be told, using it as breading is the only reason I have corn flakes in the house.  Never was a fan of them as a child, and that hasn’t changed as an adult.  Give me Lucky Charms or Cap’n Crunch any day!  I know, terrible for you, but since I have it, like, twice a year, I think it’s ok.

Easy Chicken Strips
Recipe courtesy of Simple & Delicious magazine, Sept/Oct ’09

• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
  • 1-1/4 cups crushed cornflakes
  • 1/3 cup butter, melted
  • 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips

In a shallow bowl, combine flour and seasoned salt. Place cornflakes and butter in separate shallow bowls. Coat chicken with flour mixture, then dip in butter and coat with cornflakes.   Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until juices run clear. Yield: 6 servings.

Starnesfam August 27, 2009 at 11:27 pm

“….not call them chicken fingers….” The tricks we learn! I love it!

Glad you’re getting unpacked and settled. Keep moving forward!

Jess August 28, 2009 at 5:35 am

My son is a picky eater and I have learned lots of little tricks to get him to eat! This recipe is a staple in our home. My family also likes the ones I make using the recipe on the back of the Bisquick box (also baked).

Joanne August 28, 2009 at 8:13 am

I love kids cereals although I had a recent craving for cornflakes a few months ago that lasted quite a while.

This looks like a great and simple recipe. Kids are funny about what they will and will not eat. I was a semi-picky eater growing up and now I eat everything. Go figure!

jan August 28, 2009 at 9:28 am

sometimes just saying it’s Chicken and having something they like to dip it in can make a difference. (as long as it’s healthy?)

carrie August 28, 2009 at 9:35 am

This reminds me somewhat of a Nigella recipe that she calls Ritzy Chicken or something of that sort–she uses crushed up Ritz crackers and puts the whole shebang in the oven, too. These look really good……….

doggybloggy August 28, 2009 at 2:02 pm

marketing is everything- I remember these kids of a girlfriend of mine were too easily impressed with the tone of voice – I could say “ewwww its chocolate cake” and that was enough to turn them off to it…I wonder what they are eating and doing now?

Ramona August 28, 2009 at 2:53 pm

I’ve never used the cornflakes, but I have used Triscuits grinded up in the food processor.
Ramona

Susie August 28, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Thanks for your visit to my blog and leaving your sweet remarks. You have a great website here. I enjoy cooking blogs. I’ll definitely be back for another visit.

Jackie at PhamFatale.com August 28, 2009 at 6:01 pm

I’ve never seen corn flakes being used into making chicken strips. I’ll definitely give this a try. I bet it brings a nicer crispy texture than regular ol’ bread crumbs. Thanks for the tip!

Jane August 28, 2009 at 6:27 pm

thank you for the post, I needed some inspiration. I didn’t have cornflakes. I used a bisquick type mix with seasoning salt and some 5 cheese italian mix that I ground up in the food processor. The boys are eating. whew.

Sophia August 29, 2009 at 12:44 am

Quick and delish chicken fingers? Wow, thanks for this recipe! Def trying this, it’s perfect for a healthy college snackery!

Hélène August 29, 2009 at 12:45 am

Thanks for this recipe, my sons would enjoy. Much better than any store-bought chicken strips. Have a great week-end.

Patsy Kreitman August 29, 2009 at 9:38 pm

My kids love chicken strips at home. I make mine using panko bread crumbs and they are a hit every time!

Ashley August 29, 2009 at 9:56 pm

This looks easy and tasty! That’s so funny that calling them fingers weirds him out – it’s like when I thought my mom was lying when she said hot dogs were NOT made out of dogs (I was 4 at the time) – I thought it was one of those lies that moms tell to get you to eat. Ha!!

Sarah W. August 29, 2009 at 10:44 pm

Those chicken strips look yummmy :)

Traci August 30, 2009 at 8:57 am

Hi Cate. Nice to meet you. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. Always LOVE new visitors. Especially visitors who leave a comment.

We have something in common – LUCKY CHARMS AND CAP’N CRUNCH ARE MY FAVORITE CEREALS!! Always have been, always will be.

Great recipes. I need help in the cooking department. I will definately be back for your help.

Laura August 30, 2009 at 10:49 am

Looks very good…..we have always called calamari little onion rings so my son will eat them!lol

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen August 30, 2009 at 3:02 pm

Yummy! These look great! :)

Tracy August 30, 2009 at 6:38 pm

That looks really good, I’ve never had any luck making oven baked chicken strips, I’ll have to try this version.

theungourmet August 30, 2009 at 10:05 pm

This is perfect! My son loves this kind of thing. I especially like that you used corn flakes in here. It makes it so crunchy and yummy!