Happy Seventh Birthday, Nick!

by Cate on August 2, 2009

Birthday Boy

We interrupt the regularly scheduled “Weekend Photos in Review” (coming tomorrow!) for something more important … celebrating Nick‘s birthday!  I can’t believe he’s seven already!  Seven!  Where *did* the time go?  My birthday was on Friday, so between that and his today, it’s been a weekend filled with celebrating.  And rightly so.

“Happy birthday!  Do you feel older today?”

“Um,” he said, pausing to think for a minute.  “A little.  Do you, Mommy?”

“No, not really,” I said.

“Why not?”

“Because once you get older, it’s just like another day sometimes.”

“How many birthdays have you had since you were a baby?”

“39 now.”

“WOW, that’s a lot!”

Thanks, Nick!

Today was all about him.  I asked him what he wanted for breakfast and Banana Pancakes it was.  He requested that his dad make black beans and rice, so that was lunch, along with steak.  And for dinner, he choose TGIF‘s.  He’s partial to places that sing happy birthday.

What a difference a year makes.  He’ll be heading to second grade next month, and that alone is mind-boggling.  At least to me.  This year brought about many changes in Nick.  In many ways, he seems like a totally different kid, but in many ways, he’s still very much the same.

LIKES: SpongeBob Squarepants, karate, soccer, flip-flops, iShuffle, artichokes, his baby sister (although he keeps correcting me that she’s not a baby anymore, “she’s a TODDLER, Mom!”), his dog, talking, dancing after dinner, Rita’s, school (he says he misses it!) and cheese fries.

DISLIKES:  most green vegetables, putting his clothes away, sitting down while eating, the unknown, sitting still, putting garbage in the garbage can (it’s just so much easier to throw it on the floor!), and listening.

When he turned six

When he turned five

When he turned four

When he turned three

What a difference a year makes!

P.S.  And that shirt he’s wearing?  It cost me $7 to make … and I made it for his 5th birthday.  I’m amazed that we got three years out of it, but we decided today that this is the last year for it.  Time for a new one!

the projectivist August 3, 2009 at 4:15 am

you and i have had the same amount of birthdays and we both have a 7yo, although i have a 7yo girl. perhaps you’re the AlternateRealityMe?
do you like beetroot from a can, Cate? if you do, then you MUST be alternate reality me, cos i can’t stand the stuff!

haha!
hope Nick’s birthday was wonderful.
x

Julia @ Mélanger August 3, 2009 at 4:36 am

Funny how kids thinks anything over 10 is old! Got some handmade birthday cards from my nieces last week with my age plastered all over it. They only had to give me that look. I knew they knew those were big numbers! :) I don’t have kids, but with my nieces, I get blown away how quickly they grow. Great you can document this!

Joanne August 3, 2009 at 8:10 am

Happy birthday to Nick! (And to you as well) He’s so adorable…it sounds like you guys had a great day.

Ramona August 3, 2009 at 9:01 am

Happy Birthday to both of you and many more!!!
Ramona

Starnesfam August 3, 2009 at 9:36 am

I love 7……lots of reading and a whole new world waiting in school. I have an 8 year old who is starting 3rd grade soon. Wow. Time to get serious.

The Sister In-Law August 3, 2009 at 10:22 am

Happy Birthday Nick!

Love Tia
SIL

Natasha - 5 Star Foodie August 3, 2009 at 12:29 pm

Happy birthday to you and Nick!

Patsy August 3, 2009 at 12:43 pm

Happy Birthday, Nick & Cate! Sounds like a great weekend of celebrating!

Susan August 3, 2009 at 3:28 pm

Happy Birthday to the both of you!

Claire August 3, 2009 at 7:26 pm

Well, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, NICHOLAS!!!! I hope y’all had a great fun day. So, do these green vegetables include salads or has the boy lost his love of those lovely greens?

pamela August 3, 2009 at 9:56 pm

Seven!?!? Say it ain’t so! I started reading when he was 4. Where has the time gone, right? He’s a handsome young man and seems to be a great brother! Hope he had a great birthday.

And happy belated birthday to you, too!

Kalyn August 3, 2009 at 10:10 pm

What a cute photo of the birthday boy! Hope he had a great time. (And 39 sounds pretty darned young to me, so it’s all relative!)

Cate August 4, 2009 at 10:53 pm

Kalyn – very relative indeed, so I’ll take it. ;)

Pamela – didn’t realize you had been reading that long, that’s great! And yes, the time totally does fly by, doesn’t it? Scary!

Claire – nope, he totally still love his salads, thank goodness. Cucumbers, salads and artichokes. That’s all the green for him. :)

Susan, Patsy, Natasha, SIL and Ramona – thank you!

Starnesfam – isn’t it funny how it seems like they’ve hit the big-time, school-wise now? Kindergarten “babies” seems so far behind now…

Julie – I remember when we were kids how ancient 40 seemed. Now? Not so much!

Projectivist – too funny, but you’re totally on your own with the beets.

Ana August 9, 2009 at 2:33 pm

Such a sweet post! My son also turned 7 this year and I also cannot believe it!
I really like reading your blog as some situations you have with Nicholas are very similar to ones that happens to me and my son!
Happy belated birthday to you and Nick!
Ana