Recipe: Bleu Cheese Onions

by Cate on January 28, 2010

Rib Eye and Bleu Cheese Onions

Whoever said that a picture is worth a thousand words knew what they were talking about.  When I spied the picture for the Bleu Cheese Onions in a special magazine from Taste of Home, Prize Winning Recipes, I was in.  In enough that I forked over ten bucks for the magazine.  I love all the side items that go with a good steak, and onions are no exception.  But put bleu cheese with it?  And make it an easy recipe that I can just throw in the oven and let it do its thing?  I am so there.

We had company for dinner tonight, and once I got my mind wrapped around this recipe, the rest of the meal was planned from there.  Rib Eye steak?  Check.  Sicilian Lentil Soup to start?  Check.  Side plate of steamed broccoli?  Check.  But forget about all those other things (lentil soup recipe coming next week … a mere 120 calories per serving) … let’s talk about those onions.  Usually when you think of onions with steak, it’s the caramelized version, which are excellent in their own right, but, let’s face it, they can be time-consuming and need a bit of stir-stir-stir babysitting.  These?  Five minutes to put together, and then bake for 20 minutes.  The perfect accompaniment to your next steak dinner … bringing steakhouse cuisine right to your dining room table, one bite at a time.

Dinner

Project 365
January 28, 2010, Photo #28

Teenager in Training

If this is what 23-1/2 months look like, I’m pretty sure I’m in trouble when she hits those teen years.

Bleu Cheese Onions
Recipe courtesy of Taste of Home Prize Winning Recipes

1-1/2 cups (6 oz) crumbled bleu cheese
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon dill weed
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 large onions, thinly sliced
6 tablespoons butter, melted (could safely cut this back to 4 next time)

In a food processor, combine the bleu cheese, Worcestershire sauce, dill and pepper; cover and process until blended.

Place onions in an ungreased 13×9 in baking dish. Drizzle with butter; top with tablespoons of bleu cheese mixture.

Bake, uncovered, at 425 for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately.

Yield: 2 cups

ivan January 28, 2010 at 11:29 pm

Quick question: Black or white pepper?

Sarah Caron January 28, 2010 at 11:37 pm

OMG — those sound and look amazing. And rib eye steak. YUM! I think I am drooling.

Kristi January 29, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Hi Cate!

I was just checking out my blog and noticed a comment from you! Boy am I glad that you left one because I’ve been directed here to your blog. Oh my word!! I love, love, love food, to eat it, cook it, everything about it, I love it!! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I’m sure I’ll be back to visit yours!

Jen January 30, 2010 at 8:31 am

These onions sound spectacular! I love a good steak with onions – and bleu cheese – even better! Cute picture!

Joanne January 30, 2010 at 9:16 am

Maddie for sure has teenager written all over her! I love all that pink. I hear pink is the new pink. For girls.

The bleu cheese onions are amazing! I’ve been having intense blue cheese cravings lately. And throwing them on top of steak or a burger seems like a fabulous idea right now.

The Sister In-Law January 30, 2010 at 12:22 pm

I love onions and I love bleu cheese – a must try. Don’t know about the b/f but who cares, more for me LOL!

Sorry to say but I think Maddie is 2 going on 13!!!

SIL

gina January 30, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Yeah, it really does start way before “teen” years, lol. What a cutie!!

gina January 30, 2010 at 1:53 pm

apparently i responded to the wrong post- I was referring to your little girl on the phone. lol. Although the onions do look yummy.

Lisa Ridgely January 30, 2010 at 3:02 pm

The onions look and sound amazing. And what an adorable picture! Thank you for stopping by my blog!

Shannon January 30, 2010 at 4:04 pm

wow, these sound AMAZING! love they’re so easy, too!

Aggie January 31, 2010 at 9:46 am

Oh my….I am such a huge lover of blue cheese and onions, why I’ve never thought to put them together like this I have no idea!! Your little girl is adorable!!

Hannah February 2, 2010 at 9:31 pm

That looks so heavenly – the ultra-caramelized nubbins of bleu-cheese sauce? I’d just like a bowl of that, please. You can keep the steak and broccoli! :P

grace February 3, 2010 at 6:06 am

my mom just so happened to be walking by as i was reading this post and she squealed a little bit. yes, your image caused a 53-year-old woman to squeal. blue cheese and onions are two of her favorite things, and even i, a disliker of both, am drawn to this. bravo.
and wow, that’s one of the cutest pictures i’ve seen of a kid–i think you’re in for some adventures in about 10 years. :)

Cate February 9, 2010 at 7:05 pm

Ivan – I used black pepper, but either would be fine.