Hershey Kiss Good Fortunes

by Cate on February 18, 2010

Setting the Stage

Yesterday was Ash Wednesday and the kick-off to Lent for Catholics.  As such, we’re supposed to give something up during Lent.  Something hard.  I debated about just skipping it and not giving anything up.  Then I debated about what to give up.  A friend gave up Facebook.  Very brave.  Another gave up sugar.  Equally brave and hard.  I’ve decided … deep breath … to give up Diet Coke.  I probably have an average of 2 cans a day.  And not being a coffee or tea drinker, besides it being pretty much my Drink of Choice, it’s also my caffeine fix.  Being a single mom, giving up a caffeine fix is going to be hard.  But then again, that is the whole point of this, right?  It’s supposed to be hard.  More deep breaths.  I didn’t decide what to give up until tonight, so the one I had at dinner was my last one.  One last deep breath.  It’s just a drink.  Not a big deal.  Really.

So Nick decided to give up talking back.  A move I wholeheartedly endorse.  Every once in awhile, the mouthiness resembles a 15-year-old’s.  Coming from my 7-year-old son’s body.  Not a fan.  In fact, the first thing he said to me this morning was, “Mom, really, and here I thought you were going to be nice to me today.  Guess I was wrong.”  Because the mean mommy told him (nicely) to get moving because he was going to be late for car pool.  All in favor of squashing the backtalk.

Even though Jamie, the kids’ babysitter, isn’t Catholic, she wanted to give up something too.  I love that about her.  She went back and forth between two things all night … either giving up putting off going to the gym (and in her defense, she goes several times a week, but she doesn’t think it’s enough) or giving up chocolate.  When we got on the topic of chocolate, she said she really only eats it here, in the stuff that we bake.  So you know what that means … that turned into me giving up baking with chocolate.  I don’t know how I got dragged into that one, but I somehow ended up with an added challenge now.  No baking with chocolate for Lent.  Is she kidding me?   Usually when I bake something, I save a few pieces for here, and the rest goes to neighbors, work, the kids’ school, and other various spots.  For me it’s easy because I don’t have a terrible sweet tooth.  If I did, it would be a problem.  But, really, one bite to taste something and I’m pretty much done.  Not so much with her.  And I want to be supportive.  So along with giving up my beloved Diet Coke, I’m giving up baking with chocolate.  For her.

Now all that being said, you’ve got to love that tonight’s piece is titled with the words Hershey Kiss.  We mutually agreed that since I had already planned to make a cute little fun dessert tonight with chocolate, it would be our last chocolate hurrah from now until Lent.  And technically, it’s not baked, but what she’s giving up isn’t about a technicality, so I want to be fair.

I had half a package of wonton wrappers that I wanted to use up.  I also had some Hershey Kisses to use up from our last visit to Hershey, PA.  And with this week being the kick-off to Chinese New Year, what better way to celebrate that with Hershey Kiss Good Fortunes, right?  Killing three birds with one stone, and all the better that I got to use two ingredients that I already had on hand too.

This mini recipe came from the February/March 2010 issue of Taste of Home magazine.  It takes literally just minutes to make and is a fun little dessert, slightly crispy, slighty sweet and then the unexpected melted chocolate in the middle?  Mmmmm… a perfect mini sweet treat to end a nice meal.  Assuming you’re not giving up chocolate for Lent.

Hershey Kiss Good Fortunes

Want more ways to use up wonton wrappers?  Loved these Pizza Pockets, and these Baked Wonton Chips (one of my favorite pictures and a fun, delicious snack to boot).  And, of course, I can’t forget these addictingly awesome Crispy Crab Rangoons, one of the top recipes to come out of our 2009 kitchen.

Project 365
February 18, 2010, Photo #48a/b

Trouble Afoot

In our house, the picture above is never a good sign. It means trouble is afoot. And that trouble is named Madeline.  I heard a noise from the kitchen this morning and went over to see what she was up to.

This is what I saw. In my kitchen sink.

Trouble Found

There was a container of cookies on the kitchen counter, along with a plate of sliced banana. Not any more. I don’t know what she was reaching for but, surprisingly enough, it wasn’t the cookies. Somehow, she managed to knock all the cookies out of the container and into the sink, along with the bananas. Little stinker.

Hershey Kiss Good Fortunes
Recipe courtesy of Taste of Home magazine

Wrap a kiss in the center of a small wonton wrapper.  Moisten edges with water to seal.  Deep fry for 2-1/2 minutes in 375 degree oil.  Drain, dust with confectioner’s sugar, let cool and enjoy.

Casey February 19, 2010 at 12:08 am

I gave up salt. Adding it to my food. Which, I LOVE.

Good luck!

Joanne February 19, 2010 at 7:14 am

Wow you guys gave up tough things for lent! I can’t imagine giving up diet soda (I am a coke zero fiend) but I have faith that you can do it.

These fortune cookies are so cute! They would make great mini-desserts for a party!

Karen February 19, 2010 at 8:44 am

I gave up shots and ordering take out. The first makes me feel like a college kid. Not that I am doing shots everyday or anything, but Friday happy hours always seem to be a lot of trouble when the shots start pouring. The second is a continuation of my goal of cooking more. Oh, and I am going to make sure I get to church each week – which is something I am often very lax with.

Debbie February 19, 2010 at 10:08 am

Giving up soda for you would be live giving up coffee for me. I just have to have the caffeine to keep going. Good luck but I’m sure you can do it! They Hershey’s wontons look delish and sound easy enough!

5 Star Foodie February 19, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I love the idea of Hershey’s kiss wontons! What a perfect little dessert snack!

Patsy February 19, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Wow… no baking with chocolate? Not sure I could manage that one!

love the photo of Madeline and her mess in the kitchen sink! You are so good to have the camera at the ready all the time!

Risa February 19, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Usually I give up meat each year, buuut I really want to try to make homemade corn beef this year, and if you make corn beef you have to try it! Soooo I gave up coffee.

Madeline February 19, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Remember when I went to that thing at the CIA in Napa? One of the Harvard docs had a theory that even though it is diet soda, we might still gain weight from it because our body tastes the sweetness and expects sugar. Or something like that….

I try to do something positive for Lent instead of giving something up. This year I am going to go to Mass every Sunday!

tasteofbeirut February 19, 2010 at 8:30 pm

there’s generally a set of rules on what to give up and when and I am really bad at applying rules, so I just go for the usual (meat!)
By the way, your creation is fun and original!

Cate O'Malley February 20, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Casey – wow, I totally feel your pain with the salt. That would be another good challenge for me – total saltaholic.

Taste of Beirut – really? I didn’t know there were rules about what you could give up. Maybe there’s a loophole for my Diet Coke.

Madeline – I didn’t know that – all the more reason, I guess, but the first two days have been really hard!

Risa – homemade corned beef? Sounds delicious!

Patsy – I started keeping it on the main floor, so it’s easy to grab when there’s a moment. Now always having the battery charged is another story… ;)

5 Star Foodie – a nice little sweet bite, without going crazy.

Debbie – exactly. I nearly caved yesterday… only 38 days to go.

Karen – those sound like excellent goals!

Joanne – well, I figured if it was something easy to give up, it missed the point. And Diet Coke is definitely one of the harder things for me…

grace February 20, 2010 at 5:05 pm

little stinker, indeed! i’m just glad she didn’t fall–it’s easy to do. not that i’ve done it myself, of course…more than twice.
meanwhile, i don’t do lent, but i should. i think your decision to give up diet coke is quite admirable–good luck! i’d be an absolute mess without my caffeine fix.

my spatula February 21, 2010 at 2:11 pm

what a fabulous little snack and great use of wonton wrappers! i also LOVE that shot with the bright yellow chair.

Ramona February 22, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Looks like you need to bolt that chair to the floor!