Pomegranate Martinis (Weight Watchers Friendly)

by Cate on March 2, 2010

Pomegranate Martinis

I received an email awhile back from a marketing rep at POM Wonderful, offering to send me a case of their juice to try out.  Is it a bad that the first thing I thought of to make with the juice was a Pomegranate Martini?  Nah.  Didn’t think so.  I spied the recipe in a recent issue of Weight Watchers magazine and figured, hey, filled with antioxidants, ingredients on hand already … win, win.

Two things about me and drinks.  1 – I am a total lightweight.  I just don’t drink often enough to have any sort of heavy tolerance.  Theoretically that could be a good thing, and it certainly makes me a cheap date, but it also means a drink with vodka has its effect.  And quick.  This one was no exception.  2 – I like the girlie drinks, and I have no problem admitting it.  I like drinks that don’t taste of alcohol, so I often go for the fruity ones.   That being said, in this drink, you can definitely taste the vodka, but not so much that it turned me off.  It went down nice and easy.  But also, half a drink in and I’m feeling a nice, very nice buzz, so just a fair warning in case you happen to be the teensiest bit like me.  This one will hit you.

A friend said that I made this one so often that it is now my signature drink.  I wouldn’t go quite that far, but it definitely became the signature drink of February.  And with it’s deep red hue, why the heck not?  Bottoms up!

P.S.  If YOU want to use YOUR pomegranate juice for something other than a martini, check out POM Wonderful’s recipe section – you’ll find tons of recipes to choose from, each picture more gorgeous than the next.  These POM Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting are a great way to start (love the jeweled bits on the top!), as would be these Grilled Portobellos with POM Mustard Vinaigrette.  Yum.  Although I must admit, this Pomegranate Granita is calling my name too.  Mightily.

Project 365
March 2, 2010, Photo #57

Tomato Love

The kids, particularly Madeline, are crazy for tomatoes. I cannot wait until farmer’s market season and when Jersey tomatoes are back with their luscious goodness. Tonight, I was slicing up a few tomatoes for them to include with our dinner. I turned around to get something, and half a tomato was gone. Madeline eats them like you would eat an apple. Tonight’s picture was taken by Nick. I had to protect the rest of the tomatoes.

Pomegranate Martinis
Recipe courtesy of Weight Watchers

Serves 2

1 cup crushed ice
½ cup pomegranate juice
6 Tablespoons chilled vodka (can also use lemon or orange-flavored vodka)
3 Tablespoons Grand Marnier (orange-flavored liqueur) (I used Cointreau)
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 (2 inch) pieces fresh orange rind strips

Place crushed ice in a martini shaker. Add pomegranate juice and next 3 ingredients. Shake well; strain into 2 martini glasses. Rub rim of each martini glass with inside of orange rind. Garnish with orange rind strips. Serve immediately.

Make 2 servings (about 2/3 cup each)
Four points per serving

5 Star Foodie March 3, 2010 at 12:14 am

A lovely refreshing drink with POM!

Kristi March 3, 2010 at 12:45 am

Yumm-O!! Weight watchers friendly? I’m totally down. That sounds wonderful, I know I’ve had something similar that definitely was NOT WW. I’ll be trying this, I even have some pomegranate juice in the fridge. Thanks again, you rock lady! ;)

Joanne March 3, 2010 at 7:10 am

My brother used to do that with tomatoes also when he was little. And I do it now that my tastes have evolved to actually like them. I can’t wait for summer. These crappy winter tomatoes are just not cutting it.

The martini looks fabulous. I might outcompete you on the lightweight scale. It makes going out in NYC infinitely cheaper though so I am more grateful than anything else!

MariaV March 3, 2010 at 7:36 am

I’m with Madeline. I have a difficult time getting the tomatoes into dinner.

Laura March 3, 2010 at 10:49 am

wow…yummy!

Diana's Cocina March 3, 2010 at 11:21 am

This drink is delish! I’ve had it several times :).

I agree with the tomatoes. I’m ready to get my garden ready! My son wil eat his weight in tomatoes.

Have a great day.

Ramona March 3, 2010 at 12:16 pm

That’s great that she loves tomatoes like that. Your martini sounds good. I love pomegranites.

Jen March 3, 2010 at 5:35 pm

A true Jersey girl after my own heart! I can’t wait for fresh Jersey tomatoes!

Josie March 3, 2010 at 9:54 pm

I eat tomatoes like that. I am counting down the days til tomato-season.

grace March 4, 2010 at 9:30 am

should i admit that i often eat tomatoes like apples as well? i do require salt, though, so i’m not a total barbarian. :)
lovely beverage, cate–i think the combination of pomegranate and orange must be really delicious!

Mandy March 5, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Sounds like a perfect spring drink to me!

Cynthia Carpenter August 4, 2010 at 10:22 am

You are on the mark, I like the idea of a POM martini. Alcohol may have a bunch of calories but for a lightweight its not going to matter that much. I was checking out your site and enjoy the recipes I am finding, perhaps you will cyber share some with my clients?
Wishing you wealth and wellness
Cynthia at fittvo.com