Jamie Oliver’s Basic Omelet

by Cate on May 10, 2010

Jamie's Omelet

There are a few basic cooking tasks that I totally go about all wrong.  I haven’t a clue the proper way to slice a tomato.  Or an onion.  I make my mom a little nervous when I make scrambled eggs.  Because I do them totally wrong and not how she does them.  And omelets?  I kind of just wing it.  I generally make a mess when I fold it over, and then again when I slide it onto the plate.  Sometimes it doesn’t all make it onto the plate.  So it’s no wonder that Jamie Oliver‘s recipe for a Basic Omelet is so popular.  Because clearly the basics do not just escape me.  They escape other people too.  Thank goodness for that.

The recipe is simple enough that anyone can master the basic omelet.  Even me.  And omelets are such a fun way to start your morning (or to have breakfast for dinner!) since you can customize the insides easily based on everyone’s likes and dislikes.  I ended up making mine an egg white omelet, and also added steamed broccoli inside.  Yum-o!

Project 365
May 10, 2010, Photo #91

Rainbow Wall

If you know me, and I mean really know me, you know how much I love rainbows. The kids and I frequently follow them when we spy them in the car. Just last week we saw a double rainbow while on one of our two-mile walks. There is just something so magical about them. Reaffirming your faith that a little magic really does exist. When I spied this rainbow in our dining room, I had to take a picture.  There was a CD on the table that was making the rainbow on the wall.  Since Saturday, it has been Nick’s First Communion, Eli getting really sick, Mother’s Day, and an appointment tomorrow that I’m really not looking forward to.   A little rainbow right about now, even one inside the house, seems just about perfect.

Jamie Oliver’s Basic Omelet
Recipe courtesy of Jamie’s Food Revolution
2–3 large eggs, preferably free-range or organic
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
A knob of butter
A small handful of grated Cheddar cheese

1. Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl with a pinch of salt and pepper.

2. Beat well with a fork.

3. Put a small frying pan on a low heat and let it get hot.

4. Add a knob of butter.

5. When the butter has melted and is bubbling, add your eggs and move the pan around to spread them out evenly.

6. When the omelet begins to cook and firm up, but still has a little raw egg on top, sprinkle over the cheese (I sometimes grate mine directly on to the omelet).

7. Using a spatula, ease around the edges of the omelet, then fold it over in half.

8. When it starts to turn golden brown underneath, remove the pan from the heat and slide the omelet on to a plate.

patsyk May 10, 2010 at 9:43 pm

I stink at making omelets… never fold over right!

Love rainbows, and that photo really captures all of the colors!

Sarah May 10, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Omelet making escapes me too … but this one looks amazing. I love omelets with asparagus and swiss. YUM!

pamela May 10, 2010 at 9:46 pm

I think I may just go around leaving CD’s out of their cases, and placing them randomly about the house now. Love the rainbow. Hope all goes well at that appointment.

Joanne May 11, 2010 at 6:16 am

Maybe you’ll find your pot of gold :P

My omelets always turn out looking like scrambled eggs…so I might make your mom crazy! I’ll have to try this foolproof recipe..

Alli May 11, 2010 at 8:05 am

Another, more traditional way, to fold an omelet is to roll it out of the pan, almost like a burrito rolled one direction. This helps mask any flaws that might go wrong when you first start to “fold”. However, I do like the more American way of folding. Just thought I’d share a different way of doing it :).

The picture of your omelet is beautiful. I wish I could learn how to take such wonderful pix like that.

Kris #40 May 11, 2010 at 8:08 am

I love rainbows. When I was in high school my friends called me “Krissy Rainbows”. I used to have a big paper one on my bedroom wall and my guitar strap had all kinds of rainbow pins on it.

Great wall color! Mind sharing the color name?

Ramona May 11, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Was hoping Eli was getting better.

Bridgett May 11, 2010 at 9:49 pm

My husband is the omelet master in the family and he will enjoy this recipe when I show him. I hope your little one is feeling better. I just love the rainbow pic. That would make anyone smile!

Cate May 12, 2010 at 10:47 pm

Bridgett – Aren’t rainbows awesome? The immediate ability to be a mood changer.

Ramona – thanks! Nothing huge yet, but waiting and hoping.

Kris – I will look up the color and get back to you. I really love our old dining room color a smidge better (was a deep, rich, dark chocolate brown), but thought it would be a little too dark for this dining room (smaller).

Alli – I will definitely try that next time – thanks for the tip!

Joanne – a pot of gold sure sounds about perfect!

Sarah – an unbeatable combination for sure. Thanks, now you’ve got me craving it.

Patsy – what *is* it about the darn fold?!

Betsy June 9, 2010 at 7:51 pm

My ometets usually come out just ok. I’ve always done the….. move the eggs around… allowing the raw edges etc to cook. I’ll try the basically do not touch way.

THanks.