Out of Balance

by Cate on May 12, 2010

My Favorite Feets

Neighbor Husband, I’m warning you now.  Skip today’s post.  Come back tomorrow.  He hates the non-perky ones, since he comes here for his pick-me-up.

I debated about even writing about this tonight.  You guys have heard a little about my divorce.  A little about what’s going on with Eli.  I don’t want it to be too much gloom and doom, because I’m sure The Neighbor Husband isn’t the only one coming here for a happy respite from the day-to-day grind.  Balance is good.  But this site is about food and life.  Real life.  Our life.  And sometimes it’s not all perky.  Sometimes it’s out of balance.  Now would be one of those times.

This morning, The Ex had a heart attack.  He’s currently in the hospital, recovering from having a stent put in and holding court in the ICU.  With any luck, he’ll be discharged Friday.  That alone amazes me.  Two days after a heart attack?  But I guess that’s good.  I felt like I couldn’t ask you to think good thoughts and prayers for Eli, and not ask the same for The Ex.  He needs them.  Our relationship aside, he’s a Dad, the only Dad, to two amazing kids.  They need him.  And they need him to be well.

At this point, anything else I can segue-way into seems off.  Hollow.  Insincere.  It’s just not the time nor the place.  I just ask you to think good thoughts for him, as he gets better.  And in the meantime, hug your family just a little tighter and appreciate every second.

Tomorrow, the arrow is aimed clearly for perky.

Kalynskitchen May 12, 2010 at 10:59 pm

I hope he will make a full recovery. Your kids need him as a dad.

And Cate, I think you’re a great mom and also a wonderful person. I’m impressed about how you handle every challenge that comes your way.

Hugs,
Kalyn

thecoffeesnob May 12, 2010 at 11:38 pm

I hope your ex recovers soon, Cate.

Sending positive thoughts to him, you and your kids’ way.

Casey May 13, 2010 at 1:05 am

Holy crap!!!!! I’m so sorry.

I will be praying.

Proud of you for reaching out for thoughts and prayers. It takes a big person to do such.

And, I appreciate the “real” posts. I’m going to soon enough (only been planning on it for 2 years) post about my battle with depression and anxiety. People need to hear “the balance” as you said. It is what makes us real behind the only-picture-perfect photos we post. Thank you.

Joanne May 13, 2010 at 6:16 am

It is so big of you to do this Cate, and exactly what I would expect given your stellar self. You just push right on through and are so strong – what I love about you. I hope he will be okay…for Nick and Maddie.

krhm May 13, 2010 at 7:20 am

Cate, good thoughts coming your way for both Eli and The Ex!

I wouldn’t say I continue to visit because your blog is perky, but rather because you show amazing strength and look on the bright side, choosing to overlook life’s small frustrations and problems, and instead focus on life’s small pleasures and joys. It’s about perspective more than it is even about optimism. Go hit the gym hard and then do something really nice for yourself!

Kari

Patsy May 13, 2010 at 8:42 am

Sending good thoughts for both your Ex and Eli. Hope that the balance heads in the other direction soon for your family… it can be hard when it tips on the side of more challenging life situations. Sending hugs to all of you.

Judith May 13, 2010 at 8:45 am

*hugs*

It seems quick, but sometimes they let them out super-fast now. My boss just had a heart attack and they let him out after a couple of days. He was raring to go and we practically had to lock him in his house to keep him from coming back to work!

paula May 13, 2010 at 9:03 am

I’m sending good thoughts for all of you.

That’s a great sign that he is going home so soon – it’s really not safe to be in a hospital any longer than you need to be these days.

Like others have said, I don’t come here for the ‘perky’ although I certainly do appreciate your positive outlook on life. Life isn’t always perky though.

Kris #40 May 13, 2010 at 9:08 am

Sending some good thoughts to all the illing in your family.

Sending you some ((((hugs)))).

The neighbor across and two houses up from me had a heart attack several weeks ago – and needed triple bypass. I’ve been seeing him and his wife walking daily now. Pretty scary because he is fit and eats healthy.

If you need to commiserate over cocktails (or baked goods) come knocking.

Karen May 13, 2010 at 10:04 am

I will keep the ex in my prayers. That is so scary, but those stents are pretty routine surgery these days. You have a lot on your plate these day. I think you might need a few of our prayers right now too.

Ramona May 13, 2010 at 10:52 am

Well I always tell people I don’t hate the ex’s (2 of them), I just don’t like them and don’t want them in my life any more.

Your kids luv him, you don’t have to. He’s their father and that’s not going to change.

Tyanne May 13, 2010 at 12:24 pm

I’m so sorry. I will keep you and the ex in my thoughts. I hope for a swift recovery. I hope your little ones are doing okay.

lisa May 13, 2010 at 2:35 pm

I’m so sorry about your ex. How scary. :( I’m thinking good thoughts for him, you, the kids, and Eli. <3

Maris (In Good Taste) May 14, 2010 at 1:31 am

Thinking good thoughts for you and your whole family….I think you’re due for some good news soon!

Jen May 16, 2010 at 1:26 pm

I hope that all is going well. I will keep you guys in my prayers.

pamela May 18, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Oh my goodness! I’m very late in posting this, but I hope he’s doing alright! Sending some prayers that way…