End of School Rainbow Cake 2010

by Cate on June 21, 2010

Cupcake Bite

A little switch-up tonight on picture topics.  Friday was our Rainbow Cake party.  Nine kids and six adults, though at point I might have lost track.  It was happy craziness.  There’s something about it being easier to handle a gaggle of kids versus one or two.  They were in the backyard, the front yard, the living room, happy to be celebrating the end of another school year.

This time, I added Rainbow Cupcakes to the tradition, though I’m not sure they will continue.  They are way more time consuming than the cake, because you’re making 24 little rainbows instead of just one.  I made the cupcakes in the morning, before heading to Nick’s school for their class party.  When I got there, the other Class Mom looked at me and started laughing.

“Cate, your face!  What have you been doing?”

Ooops.  Seems I had a little green dye on my nose.  And my chin.  And, of course, wiping it off with the stained fingers I knew I was already sporting didn’t help!

If you are lucky enough to have a Sous Chef like me, it’s best to keep her busy with other things that look like it’s the same thing you’re doing … but isn’t. This way she’s happy, and you’re happy. Happy, happy, happy. Look at those adorable little baby arm muscles. I just want to take a little bite of them.

Sous Chef

Feets

Batter Line-Up

Loved the cupcake wrapper – too pretty! A few of the girls even wanted to take the wrappers home.

Cupcake Wrapper

Madeline, ok and maybe me too, tend to get the batter everywhere, but when clean-up looks like this, you can’t help but smile.

Faucet

Counter

Cupcake Batter

Cupcakes

Batter Bowls

Oven Ready

Midway

Plated Cupcakes

And since regular readers might remember that, as much as I love rainbows, I get the end order of the colors confused, I also learned this time that there are SEVEN colors in the rainbow, not six.  I knew the ROY G BIV thing to remember the colors, but I didn’t make the connection before now.  I now have a picture of the rainbow taped on one of the inside kitchen cabinets, lest I forget the order again, but will have to stick with six layers nonetheless.  Not sure I can figure out how to have an Indigo layer, nor how to keep a seven layer, very moist cake, upright.

If you want more details about the actual making of the rainbow cake, you can check out last years’ posts here and here.

Until tomorrow…

Merry120 June 21, 2010 at 12:30 am

Those cupcakes are beautiful but I could see how they would be a bit….labor intensive. We’re having Evan’s birthday party next weekend & I have to decide whether to just order a cake from a bakery or make one myself. Hmmmm…..maybe a rainbow cake? We’ll see.

Great pictures as always.

Sarah Caron June 21, 2010 at 1:09 am

I did rainbow cupcakes last year for Will’s birthday — so fun! But, they are time consuming … that said, I am not a fan of frosting cakes, so I will take a labor-intense cupcake task any day.

claire June 21, 2010 at 3:21 am

I still need to make this cake! Cupcakes would be a lot of trouble. You’re such a great mom. :-)

Joanne June 21, 2010 at 6:16 am

I adore this tradition. I have to say, the rainbow in the cake makes me smile uncontrollably.

patsyk June 21, 2010 at 7:55 am

I’ve got to make this cake this summer! I think I’ll stay away from the cupcakes though…. more work than I think I’m willing to do in the summer months. I love that you have made this a tradition!

Michelle June 21, 2010 at 8:53 am

Keeping a seven layer cake upright requires the judicious use of either straws or skewers. :)

We make rainbow cupcakes at work all the time and the key to speed is the itty bitty teeny tiny ice cream scoop we use – so it’s a case of scoop/plop, scoop/plop of one colour across all the papers, and then the next and so on. Still labour intensive but the scooper makes it a bit quicker (or at least we’ve fooled ourselves into believing so!).

…and I think it’s only very un-fun and totally uptight people who would worry too much about the indigo. What IS indigo anyway? Isn’t it just blue?

mandy June 21, 2010 at 9:05 am

I think the cupcakes look incredibly fun!! I can only imagine the fun the kids had biting into them. I really need to a make one of these cakes.

mandys last blog post..nnnn Database Errornnnn Error establishing a database connectionnnn

Eliana June 21, 2010 at 10:51 am

Rainbow cakes are so much fun. I love how bright all your different colors came out.

Ramona June 21, 2010 at 11:47 am

Beautiful, I can see where the cupcakes would be a whole lot more work.

FireMom June 21, 2010 at 12:09 pm

HA! I did the rainbow cupcakes for our end of year party this year as well (since I did your rainbow cake last year). I found that rainbow cupcakes were a BILLION times easier than the cake for me. Funny how different people view things, no?

Here’s our post: http://stopdropandblog.com/2010/05/20/starting-off-our-summer-break/

Anyway, I love your photos in this post. Happy baking!

Jen June 21, 2010 at 5:21 pm

I love that tippy toes picture! The cupcakes look adorable too.

heather June 21, 2010 at 8:20 pm