Creamy Avocado Toast

by Cate on July 8, 2010

Best Lunch Ever

“OMG, I just had the best lunch ever.”

So went my email to a friend today.  It’s funny how something completely, utterly, ridiculously simple could achieve such a satisfying bite.  Such was the case with this Creamy Avocado Toast I had today.  Bread.  Avocado.  Sliced turkey.  Tomato (oh yes, pretend you see it in the picture).  Lemon juice.  Salt.  That’s it.

And what do you get?  A light crunch from the toast.  Creaminess from the avocado.  A hint of protein from the turkey.  Clean eating at its best.  And all for five minutes of your time.

Truth be told, add avocado to anything and I am there.  T-h-e-r-e.  In fact, this dish only called for half an avocado, and I just ate the other half by itself.  Love the stuff.

Until Monday … have an awesome weekend!  The O’Malley clan will be heading South to dip our toes in some Jersey shore.

Project 365
July 8, 2010, Photo #124

Slouchy Beanie Baby

Thanks to my readers help, I found the hat I was looking for (on Etsy, of course!).  Now to get a little monkey to share it with me.

Creamy Avocado Toast
Recipe courtesy of First magazine

Toast a slice of whole-grain bread (I used Pepperidge Farm’s whole wheat deli flats).  In a small bowl, mash half an avocado with a squeeze of lemon juice and a generous pinch of salt; spread on toast.  Top with sliced smoked turkey and tomato slices.

mandy July 9, 2010 at 12:35 am

I am with you on the avocado. I love it on anything or will just eat it as is.

Joanne July 9, 2010 at 6:16 am

I hope you guys will be doing some fist pumping during your trip to the shore!

I’m with you on the avocado. I could eat it by the ton.

paula July 9, 2010 at 8:05 am

Okay, we are definitely long lost sisters. I’ve been eating a lot of bananas mashed into oatmeal, I shudder when Dan plays with the Spiderman umbrella in the house, and I eat half of an avocado every day. I usually have it for breakfast on a whole wheat tortilla with a very small sprinkle of cheese and a tiny bit of chicken (for protein). If I don’t have it for breakfast, I chopped it into a salad at lunch or dinner.

Oh yes, I eat those deli flats everyday too. I spread hummus on them for my morning snack.

Ramona July 9, 2010 at 10:10 am

Not something I would have thought to add to a sandwich. Interesting…..

Have fun at the beach.

Alyson July 9, 2010 at 4:27 pm

I love, love, love Avocado!! I like them with just a touch of salt. YUM. Hmm…now I want one, guess I’ll head to the kitchen. Have fun at the Shore!!

Jen July 9, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Now I am craving avocado – love it! Have a fun weekend!

Eliana July 11, 2010 at 7:03 pm

This DOES look like the perfect lunch :) Super delish.

Vanessa @ domestic dame July 28, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Mmmm sounds yummy… only thing that would make it better would be a thin layer of cream cheese!!!