Healthy Overstuffed Sandwich

by Cate on July 15, 2010

Overstuffed Sandwich

When the kids had their Blueberry Pancake feast last night, it was all I could do to not make a plate for myself.  But I was on my way to the gym, and really didn’t want to undo my hard work before I even got there, you know?  So before I could grab a fork and dig in, I fixed this sandwich.  Omg, a sandwich never tasted so good.

I mean, really, look at this!

Overstuffed Sandwich - Side View

Multigrain bread (I used a loaf from a local restaurant that makes their own)
Sliced chicken (other proteins like ham or turkey would be just as good)
Sliced tomato (I used one whole plum tomato for the sandwich)
Half an avocado, sliced
Handful of fresh spinach
Sprinkling of sea salt (I put it over the tomato layer)

Put it together and devour.  I don’t think I barely came up for air.  Satisfying, filling, healthy and delish.  With the avocado, you don’t need any other condiments, as it acts as a great glue to keep the sandwich together, and gives it a nice creamy, buttery taste.

Who said “clean eating” can’t be packed with flavor?

Project 365
July 15, 2010, Photo #128

Avocado Keeper

We go through a crazy amount of avocados in this house.  It’s a good fat for you, and a taste we love in so many different incarnations (see Creamy Avocado Toast, Super Wedge Salad, Bacon Avocado and Watercress Pizza, and Lime Chicken Avocado Salad for a few delicious examples).  But every once in awhile, we have a half leftover, and if you use avocados, you know how quickly they can brown.  Blink and it’s over.  Next time you have leftover avocado, keep the pit in the leftover half, sprinkle it with lemon juice and store it in a sealed container in the refrigerator.  It will be good at least until the next day.

Shannon July 15, 2010 at 9:17 pm

that looks fabulous. you can also freeze them, and used them as a puree in baked goods, or to make ice cream :)

mandy July 15, 2010 at 9:30 pm

I love adding avocado’s to sandwiches! Thanks for the hint for keeping them fresh for at least a day, thats such a great tip.

patsyk July 15, 2010 at 10:15 pm

I love avocados! That sandwich is so simple, but must be filling AND delicious with those ingredients. Yum!

Joanne July 16, 2010 at 6:17 am

This sandwich look like an awesome alternative to the blueberry pancakes! Definitely a good way to keep you satisfied and deprived.

Avocados…everyone’s best friend.

saramariesue July 16, 2010 at 10:26 am

Hey! Great tip for the avocado. I’ve known about the lemon and what not, but never considered just sprinkling it and placing it in a container. I’ve always made a mess tightwrapping it in saran wrap or whatever and figured it was to much hassel and then would procede to eat the whole avocado. Yay…I will use your technique next time.

paula July 16, 2010 at 2:18 pm

I just wrap the half with the pit tightly in plastic wrap – no lemon juice. There is usually a small amount of browning but nothing substantial.

Ramona July 16, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Good lookin’ sammie!

Clean eating sounds good. Some things I can’t give up though mustard, ketchup, salad dressings. I know you could probably make them, but I don’t have the time.

Eliana July 16, 2010 at 3:23 pm

This is one good lookin’ sandwich with all those wonderful colors

Cate O'Malley July 18, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Shannon – really? Didn’t know you could freeze them – another great tip!