Teacher or Neighbor Gift Idea

by Cate on December 22, 2010

Teacher GiftEven though I’m not one of those uber-organized bloggers that gives you weeks of recipe and craft ideas before the holiday hits, I do have a great gift idea if you’re still on the look-0ut for something for your child’s teacher or a neighbor.  I’ve been trying to think of something creative to give Madeline’s teacher and was really down to the wire.  Thank goodness Woman’s Day magazine came to the rescue!

In the December issue, they featured a number of food gift ideas, and when I spotted this one for Gingerbread Men, I knew it was perfect.  Her teacher likes to bake and cook, and we’ve been trading magazines and cooking tips back and forth for awhile now.  In no time flat, I had the ingredients mixed up for this food gift, and it was all assembled, without one slim dime being spent.  It also helps that I had bought extra cookie cutters a few weeks ago, and I was able to snag a few plain brown lunch bags from my mom.  You know, because I didn’t think Miss Janet would appreciate the Spiderman lunch bags that have taken me FOUR YEARS to get through.

The mix for the gingerbread men is inside the bag, along with the printed recipe, and outside, I made a tag with her name and tied a cookie cutter to it.  I also made a second one for a friend that was just yesterday bemoaning the fact that she can’t find Betty Crocker‘s gingerbread pouch mix on sale anymore.  This is perfect and oh so much better!

You can go here for the instructions on making your very own Gingerbread Men Mix gifts for your favorite teachers and neighbors, and if you scroll to the bottom of that link, you’ll find a cute printout for the recipe to stick inside the bag.  Happy gifting!

P.S.  In January, I, along with Sarah, am starting a new weekly challenge, Eat. Live. Be. for a Better 2011. I’ve reached out to a number of bloggers who will be joining in our challenge – yay!  If you’re a blogger that would like more information (and you didn’t already get an e-mail from me), please drop me a line and I’ll fill you in.  Thanks!

Project 365
December 22, 2010, Photo #316-317

Pre-Celebratory MealJamie came over tonight to celebrate an early Christmas with us, and we ended up having pizza in the living room, watching Home Alone and Beezus and Ramona, a few of the kids’ favorite movies.

Movie Time

Casey December 22, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Cute gift idea.

Can’t wait to get started on the challenge for 2011!

patsyk December 22, 2010 at 10:35 pm

Great idea! I may have to snag some extra cookie cutters for next year’s gifts. :)

Hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday season!

claire December 22, 2010 at 11:56 pm

Looks like a fun night! I LOVED Beezus and Ramona. My mom and I saw it in the theaters…we were the ONLY ones in there. :-) It was perfect.

Allison December 23, 2010 at 1:36 am

I absolutely LOVE this gift. I am bookmarking it for next year. I made a big batch of oreo truffles for the teachers but, I love the added touch of the cookie cutter. Something to keep after the food is gone. Great idea. I would love more info on the 2011 challenge.

Joanne December 23, 2010 at 7:20 am

I am SO excited about this challenge! Can’t wait to whip my butt back into gear :P

I love finding new foodie gift ideas. The gift of food is, after all, the gift that keeps on giving!

Jen December 23, 2010 at 9:42 am

What a cute gift idea! Merry Christmas to you and the kids!

beth December 23, 2010 at 10:22 am

awesome gift idea! let your friend with the missing betty crocker mix know that you can use the sugar cookie dough and add in the following:
2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 cup dark molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

they come out amazingly good and nobody is the wiser that they are from a mix.

merry christmas!

Jacqueline December 23, 2010 at 11:31 am

What a great idea and I am sure it will be appreciated :)

Send me an email (tinnedtomatoes@googlemail.com) when you get your challenge set up and I will add it to The Food Blog Diary.

Jac
x

Ramona December 23, 2010 at 12:01 pm

A cute idea!

That’s a sweet picture of Jamie and Madi.