Wordless Wednesday

Moral Support

Still Smiling

Getting Ready

A Little More Moral Support

The Big Moment

Little Lady

She decided Saturday afternoon that she wanted her ears pierced.  NOW.  I went over what they do to pierce them, what it would feel like and asked if she still wanted it done.  She nodded her head as vehemently as she could.

When we got there, she asked Nick if he would hold her hand.  She watched as a much older girl in front of her got her ears pierced, and was happy to see the girl was all smiles afterward.  Behind Madeline was a 15-year-old who decided that if Madeline could do it, then so could she, although she was really, really, really nervous.  (Madeline went back after we paid to stay with the girl for moral support.)

There were a few tears, of course, but they were gone by the time I paid.  She has been ultra-diligent about letting me cleaning her ears, and slowly turning the earrings daily.

Saturday night, she went running down a list of people she wanted to call and tell.  Could we call her teacher now?  What about The Neighbor Wife?  And Mimi (Grandma)?  And the next day, she ran to show Sophie and her Aunt.  She was so very proud and couldn’t wait to show off her new earrings.  Even now, when she sees someone who hasn’t seen them yet, she shows them right away.

Yesterday, on the way to school, she carefully put her hair back behind her ears and looked in a mirror.

“I’m a lady now,” she said.

Indeed.

Project 365
January 12, 2011, Photo #12 and a few bonus shots

Up to No GoodWhile I was working from home this morning (snow day), I overhead Nick say, “Maddie, Mom is so going to ground us when she sees what we’re up to.”

Ready for the SnowBefore playing in the snow.

After the SnowAfter.

Such a Good Big BrotherHe grabbed the shovel and cleared the steps as she came down. And then he did the rest, all 30 of them, two walkways and a path to the car. Another ten bucks in the Wii Jar.

Casey January 12, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Love it! Lainey still doesn’t have pierced ears. One day!

mandy January 12, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Awww, so glad that Madeline did such a great job getting her ear pierced! They look lovely! And Nick was quite the awesome son doing the shoveling. I just recently bought myself a wii (a great deal off of craigslist, must cheaper plus it came with extra controllers and games) and they are fantastic!

Cate January 14, 2011 at 8:30 am

Seems like I need to start trolling Craigslist more often!

claire January 12, 2011 at 10:04 pm

She did so good! I wanted to get my ears pierced when I was 3 or 4 b/c a friend had. My mom didn’t want me to, so she told me it hurt! Well, I’m a big chicken and that scared me off…until I was TEN! I refused to even when mama offerred b/c she had told me it hurt! HA!

Joanne January 13, 2011 at 7:13 am

Maddie is way braver than I would have been! My mom got my ears pierced by our pediatrician when I was a few months old. I don’t think they do it anymore but that was the gold standard back in the day. Maddie looks so cute with those little studs!

Cate January 14, 2011 at 8:30 am

They will do them at 3-months old. While we were there, there was a 15-year-old who brought her six-week-old baby to get them done. Um, no.

The Sister In-Law January 13, 2011 at 7:40 am

Yay Maddie, great job!! She looks so grown up, I can’t wait to see her on Saturday.

BTW love the bunny hat.

SIL

FireMom January 13, 2011 at 9:33 am

Oh, so cute. Great job capturing the experience too. I remember my first ear piercing!

Patsy January 13, 2011 at 10:04 am

Aawww, that’s so cute! I love the quote “I’m a lady now.”

I got the “stay out of the living room” request while I worked from home yesterday… they had created a very elaborate fort using the cushions from the couch, blankets and set-up all different “rooms”. Too bad I had to ask them to put it all back at the end of the day. At least they found something they could do together for several hours!

Cate January 14, 2011 at 8:31 am

Ah yes, those infamous forts. Not a fan, but keep my mouth shut in light of the fact that a) it keeps them busy forever and b) they put the living room back together when done.

Ramona January 13, 2011 at 11:44 am

I have pierced ears, but seldom wear earrings.

That’s the cutiest pig hat!

Kris #40 January 13, 2011 at 3:16 pm

She looks so cute with them pierced! Maybe you can convince her to wear her hair in a ponytail so she can show them off.

My daughter wore her starters for years because she wouldn’t let me take them out (they are hard to get apart) until her young cousin just told her “hold the front and back and pull”

Meg January 13, 2011 at 5:26 pm

“I’m a lady now” — that’s priceless. :)

I got my ears pierced at 12 and was completely freaked out. I did much better five years later, when I got a second piercing in each ear, but it still makes me nauseous to think about!

Cate January 14, 2011 at 8:32 am

I totally hear you. When my sister and I were kids, we were around 12 or 13 when we got them pierced, and remembering the pain, vowed to get our daughters ears pierced when they were much, much younger.

Laura January 18, 2011 at 4:21 pm

My aunts snuck and took me when I was three….my mama about had a cow…lol. But what could she say? She was the baby sister.
This may be my favorite post ever on SWEETNICKS