Wordless Wednesday, Otherwise Known as Clever Ways to Store Jewelry

by Cate on January 26, 2011

Old Navy braceletsI have never been a jewelry person.  I could just never get into using jewelry as a daily rotating accessory, and once I put something on, it stayed forever and a day.

My wedding ring?  Gave it back to my Dad (it was from his mom) when The Ex and I separated.

My engagement ring?  Sold it long ago.

The ring The Ex gave me our first wedded Valentine’s Day?  Sold.

No attachment anymore to any of it, and totally bad juju for repurposing.

I did keep a cross he gave me one Easter when we were dating, only because I thought I could pass it on to Madeline, perhaps for her Communion or Confirmation.

Sometimes I wear studs in my ears.  Most days, I forget.

I usually wear a necklace with tags that have the kids’ name on them, their birth dates and their birthstones.  Color me lower than low maintenance.  At least in the jewelry department.

But over the course of the past year or so, I have branched out a bit.  Wearing the odd bracelet or necklace, mixing and matching, changing it up.

Out with the OldI have this Pottery Barn jewelry box that I bought eons ago, and the glass top was engraved with my old (married) initials.  Lot of good that does me now.  I hated to throw it away, but didn’t want to see it daily either.  What to do?

Last weekend, when returning something to TJ Maxx with Madeline, I discovered these jewelry organizers.

OrganizerWhere the heck have they been all my life?  Probably never noticed them because I wasn’t into jewelry much and therefore had no need.

But for $14.99, it is the perfect organizer to hang in my closet and keep all my accessories, you know, organized.  They had a crazy assortment of prints to choose from, and I ended up with the turquoise paisley one that accidentally matched the new color of my bathroom walls (more reveal once it’s completely done).  Lovin’ it and the accompanying price tag.

New Bathroom Color

And as usual, my girl Sarah and I were of the same mind, because she recently wrote about accessories on her new site, Sassy Closet.  Great minds and all that.

JCP ReplacementI had a $13 JC Penney necklace that I bought last year that I love and wore to the office sometimes. Unfortunately it broke a few weeks back. Found this similar one at the Banana Republic outlet last weekend. Regularly $39.99, and it was 40% off. Score!  I might be more interested in accessorizing, but keeping it budget-friendly is of much greater interest.

Project 365
January 26, 2011, Photo #26

Ode to Mother NatureWhen the icicles fall from our office building, one of our engineers takes them and sticks them in the snow. Methinks someone needs more work on his desk. Nick has been knocking them off our house and making ice sculptures with them lately. Lord knows we’ve had plenty of icicles with the wonderful, coughcough, weather we’ve been having this Winter.

Sarah Caron January 26, 2011 at 7:09 pm

LOVE the new wall color in the bathroom. It’s very serene … Where do you have the jewelry organizer hung? (and PS, thanks for the shout out!)

Cate January 28, 2011 at 8:28 am

I hung it in my closet, which happens to be in the master bathroom. I know, weird.

Betsy January 26, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I wonder if you can put a pretty piece of paper (like a wallpaper scrap) and cut to fit the glass on the Pottery Barn jewelry box.

Cate January 28, 2011 at 8:27 am

I have the smartest readers ever. That thought never even occurred to me – perfect idea!

The Sister In-Law January 26, 2011 at 9:56 pm

BTW if you girlfriends and you found yourself in the city, there’s a street vendor on 5th Ave. & 52nd Street that sells great jewelry for 5 bucks. Lots of really pretty stuff.

SIL

Cate January 28, 2011 at 8:24 am

Thanks for the heads up! I have a lunch meeting in the city next week, so if I can swing it, will definitely check it out.

patsyk January 26, 2011 at 10:48 pm

I may have to go search for an organizer like that! I’m pretty low maintenance on jewelry, but have just enough that something like that might make me remember to actually wear what I have!

Joanne January 27, 2011 at 7:16 am

I’ve never really been a jewelry person either even though I really want to be! I have a ton of earrings that I’ll go through phases with…sometimes mixing and matching them to go with an outfit. Maybe if I had one of those spiffy organizers…

The Neighbor Wife January 27, 2011 at 7:20 am

Payton has the jewelry organizer too. lol

Cate January 28, 2011 at 8:25 am

Ha, why does this not surprise me? ;)

Ramona January 27, 2011 at 10:45 am

That’s a neat organizer and it’s good you found a color to coordinate with your home.

allison January 27, 2011 at 3:25 pm

I love this! I need one! I want to run to TJ Maxx and find one. I have found since post babies I buy accessories more because I feel less confident in my appearance and the accessories can take a basic outfit that fits good to a new level and less of an investment.

Karen January 27, 2011 at 6:16 pm

For the last 6 months or so I have been making an effort to do more with jewelery too. I normal wear either silver hoops or diamond studs in my ears and that is it. My sis in law started selling Lia Sophia and my collection of accessories grew 20 fold. So I try to remember to wear a ring or a some funky necklace when I am getting dressed. It is hard to make the change though.

Laura January 30, 2011 at 9:16 am

I got mine at TJ mAXX too. Mine is pink and black……love love love it!