Recipe: Dutch Baby

by Cate on June 28, 2011

Dutch Baby

When I meet someone new and they find out I like to cook, invariably the conversation usually leads to the million dollar question.  “What is your specialty?”  And that’s when I get stumped.  When it comes to food, I can be counted on for a few things.  Rainbow cake to mark the beginning and end of the school year.  A bountiful seafood Feast for New Years’ Eve.  The Feast of the Seven Fishes to celebrate Christmas Eve.  A pitcher of Mom Juice at an adult-attended party.  Having way more food than I actually need or will be consumed.  And a Dutch Baby appearing on the breakfast table when we’re down the shore with my family.

I make it because I know my sister and brother-in-law are fans.  My kids are recent coverts.  The Dutch Baby’s appearance on a shore-driven weekend is one of those random food traditions that have crept in over the last few years.  As for the answer to the million dollar question?  I don’t think I have a specialty.  Friends and family might have a favorite dish or two that I make (and that was actually a conversation that came up at our Rainbow Cake party this weekend), but I don’t think I make anything consistently enough to have a “specialty.”

Beyond being one of our family traditions, the Dutch Baby (sometimes also called an Oven Pancake) is also perfect for a summer breakfast with your kids.  Or just you and a friend over coffee.  The key?  Make sure you have someone to share it with lest you scarf it all down yourself.  It’s something that literally takes five minutes to whip together and throw in the oven.  Even better, I bet you have all the ingredients in your kitchen right now.  Once baked, it’s perfect with a little dusting of confectioners’ sugar, topped with sauteed apples or just as is.  You know, with that scrumptious pool of melted butter right smack dab in the middle.  Just begging for your spoon.

Dutch Baby Corner

Dutch Baby (or Oven Pancake)

3 tablespoons white sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup butter
4 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). In a small bowl, mix together white sugar and cinnamon; set aside. Place butter in a 9 inch cake pan and heat in the oven until melted. In a blender or food processor, whip eggs and milk. Pour in flour and beat until well combined. Pour batter into hot pan. Sprinkle on sugar and cinnamon. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until puffed and golden. Dust with confectioners’ sugar; serve warm.

Maureen June 28, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Today will be the last time I can say I have never had a Dutch Baby! This looks so delicious and I will make this knowing there is nobody to share it with. :)

patsy June 28, 2011 at 9:14 pm

I’ve never even tasted a Dutch Baby! This looks too easy not to make… gonna have to add it to my list of things to try!

Gloria Nobles June 28, 2011 at 9:19 pm

OMGoodness, I. ABSOLUTELY. HAVE. TO. make this recipe!!! My mouth is watering just looking at your picture…..I can’t wait til morning, lol! Thanks for sharing!

claire June 28, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Surprisingly, never made one before! Will have to try sometime soon…I’m sure my fellow residents would appreciate it!

Kris #40 June 28, 2011 at 9:43 pm

I love it! I make a version called Hootnanny Pancake. Need to try your recipe. Mmmm!

Where’s the bonus photo?

Cate June 29, 2011 at 9:04 am

I know, I know … didn’t pick up my camera once!

Sarah Caron June 28, 2011 at 9:55 pm

How many does this serve? Sounds like something my fam would love. Can’t wait to try it.

Cate June 29, 2011 at 9:05 am

In theory, six or eight would be fine, but I don’t serve it by itself – too rich and not filling enough. So we serve it alongside fresh fruit, or perhaps some bacon. Since it’s not the “whole” breakfast, I don’t include serving sizes.

The Sister In-Law June 29, 2011 at 6:19 am

My honey is not working this Saturday (which is rare), I think I know what we are having for breakfast!

SIL

Joanne June 29, 2011 at 6:27 am

Whenever people ask me that, I tend to tell them I cook everything…which they never really believe until they see my blog. Although I haven’t cooked a dutch baby before…think it needs to happen!

paula June 29, 2011 at 8:53 am

It’s funny in that I am always striving to wow people with my cooking but when they end up loving something, and expect me to make it again, it’s a little disappointing to me since that means I lose a chance to try something new. And, I’m worried I’ll make something so often, people will get sick of it. I’m worried that I’ll get sick of it! You need passion to make good food, and sometimes I lose that with the ‘old standards’.

Karina July 3, 2011 at 11:20 pm

I had a friend in art school who taught me this recipe- I won’t tell you how many years ago- and it was a brunch favorite for years. I have not tried making it since going gluten-free. You’ve inspired me to try. Yours looks exactly like I remember- that wonderful, golden, puffy deliciousness.