Remembering the Magic

by Cate on December 23, 2008

With Christmas only a few days away, I’ve managed to cross off a lot from my list, but there is still so much to do.  As our Christmas cards sit on my desk, still needing attention, and a few gifts remain to be purchased, and a Christmas Eve menu needs to be decided, my mantra over the past few days has been “it’s ok.”  If people don’t get our Christmas cards before Christmas (because I don’t think they will this year), it’s ok.  So they enjoy them a few days after, no matter.  If the house is not completely decorated, it’s ok.  Because Nicholas and the girls have their own trees up in their bedrooms and our main one is done.  The rest, although I would have liked to finish … well, it’s ok that I didn’t.  Because what remains important now, in the days leading up to Christmas, are the little things.  How Nicholas sat in utter awe when Santa called him over the weekend, knowing that it was the real Santa.  How we managed to bake a bajillion cookies and bars and distribute them to his teachers today, creating memories and special moments with each ingredient we blended together.  How Nicholas brought me a pile of clothes over the weekend and asked me to please send them to St. Jude’s, for the children that may have less than him.   How Christmas is something completely different when you have the opportunity to see it through a child’s eyes.  So I’m going to relax … and breathe … and whatever doesn’t get done?  It’s ok.  And besides … who needs completed to-do lists when you have this?

The Sister In-Law December 23, 2008 at 7:30 am

Hooray Maddie!!! BTW don’t feel bad, I didn’t get around to putting my tree up and I still need to wrap all the gifls (shopping is done) and now I’m sick to boot. Half my staff will get their presents after Christmas.

SIL

ttfn300 December 23, 2008 at 8:52 am

aww, love it!!! it’s nice to remember the little things during such a hectic time :)

ttfn300s last blog post..Rosemary Lovin

Jamie December 23, 2008 at 10:53 am

Sounds like my kind of thinking. Everything always seems to work out okay.

Thank you for the St. Jude’s gifts. Last year for Christmas my 15 year old niece was a patient there with brain cancer, so that’s where we spent our Christmas. After 9 months, she is home and in remission and on her way from Baltimore to Cleveland today as we speak for our annual Family Christmas Party! It is really something for us to celebrate and be thankful for. Being there was the most humbling experience of my life that I will never forget. Thank God for St. Jude’s. Have a great holiday season!

Patsy December 23, 2008 at 1:55 pm

Look at her go! What a wonderful reminder at this time of year to stop and enjoy just being with family!

Happy Holidays to you and your family!

Patsys last blog post..Happy Hanukkah and a Fun Recipe

claire December 23, 2008 at 4:11 pm

Look at her just a walking! Y’all are going to have so much fun this year. Sounds like Nicholas is really getting into it.

claires last blog post..Cranberry Cream Cheese Oatmeal Cookies

Karen K December 24, 2008 at 1:44 pm

It’s better to reflect on the important things than to perform the annual beatings! I don’t look at my list from the perspective of all that I have accomplished, I look at all the things I have not finished. There’s not really that much left . . . and how important are they really? Those moments seeing the holiday season from a child’s perspective are little gifts from God! Breathe deep and enjoy, eh?