Maple Roasted Vegetables

by Cate on March 26, 2009

Maple Roasted Vegetables

I have three words for you.  Maple.  Roasted.  Vegetables.  Sometimes I say everything is better with bacon.  Sometimes it’s bourbon.  Paula Deen would say it’s butter.  But now I think we need to add maple syrup to the list.

We had company for dinner tonight, and it was my friend’s birthday.  For the appetizer, main course and dessert, I stuck with tried-and-trues, but for the side dish, I went with something new.  I know she likes vegetables, so this was the perfect opportunity to try a new recipe, and Maple Roasted Vegetables sounded too good to pass up.  The recipe came from an issue of Cuisine at Home that was published around the holidays.  It was one of those $10 magazines, and the recipe just may have made the magazine purchase worthwhile all by itself.

Chop up a bunch of earthy root vegetables and toss with a mixture of olive oil and maple syrup.  Sprinkle everything with salt and pepper and roast.  It doesn’t get much easier than that.  I strayed from the recipe a bit in terms of which vegetables to include, mostly because when I ran to the store, they had a pathetic assortment of nothing.  No parsnips or rutabaga to speak of, but I did manage to find a turnip.  Let me tell you, this is my first and last time eating a turnip.  Can you say b-i-t-t-e-r?  I added some broccoli florets and yams to the mix and loved that addition.

Simple deep flavors with just a touch of sweetness.  You can’t go wrong with roasted vegetables, and maple ones?  Just this side of swoonworthy.

Maple Roasted Vegetables
Recipe courtesy of Cuisine at Home

1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 lb rutabaga, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
1 lb baby carrots
1 lb turnips, quartered lengthwise
1 red onion, cut into wedges
salt and pepper to taste
chopped fresh thyme

Preheat oven to 375.  Coat 2 large baking sheets with nonstick spray.  Whisk oil and syrup together in a small bowl.  Combine rutabaga, carrots, turnips, parsnips and onion in a large bowl, drizzle with the syrup mixture, sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to cost.  Divide vegetables between baking sheets and roast in the oven until tender and browned, about 45 minutes.  Sprinkle with thyme before serving.

Cate’s Note: I broiled for 1-2 minutes at the end to get them a little more caramelized.  I also included broccoli and yams to the mix.

Sarah Caron March 26, 2009 at 10:53 pm

Oooh, you had me at maple. I used to make maple everything … somehow I stopped doing that though. Might be time to whip out an old tried and true though. Those look and sound divine.

Sarah Carons last blog post..French Toasted Apple Grilled Cheese

Claire March 26, 2009 at 11:27 pm

Yum…sounds good. I love roasted veggies, they’re the best!

Claires last blog post..A Perfect Match!

Sara March 27, 2009 at 11:02 am

I love roasted vegetables, they’re one of my favorite things to eat. Was it a large turnip? Sometimes the bigger ones can be bitter and kind of woody, I usually try to buy them as small as possible.

Saras last blog post..Green green spring vegetables

jan March 27, 2009 at 11:08 am

sounds wonderful. I can imagine making this in a crockpot… Thanks for sharing!

Cyndi March 27, 2009 at 12:53 pm

Putting a plug in here for turnips – take a look at Alanna’s (A Veggie Venture) recipe for glazed turnips and carrots – delightful and now a staple at our house since the bitterness is gone. (I’m a turnip lover anyway). I can’t wait to try this recipe – I’m thinking turnips, carrots, onions, and zucchini.

Cyndis last blog post..Coconut-Pear Cake

Laura March 27, 2009 at 12:54 pm

Don’t give up on the turnips….they are not supppose to be bitter. We eat them raw right out of the garden.

Steph March 27, 2009 at 1:10 pm

I don’t think I’ve eaten a turip before. We don’t usually roast vegetables, but I must give that a try sometime

Stephs last blog post..Elvis Prestly’s Whipping Cream Pound Cake

Half Assed Kitchen March 27, 2009 at 3:46 pm

I’m a huge maple fan as well. I’ll give this a try. Thanks!

Joanne March 27, 2009 at 4:37 pm

You really can never go wrong with roasted veggies. They are so easy to prepare and always turn out well. And maple never hurts.

Joannes last blog post..Chicken, Asparagus, and Broccoli Stir Fry

Elyse March 27, 2009 at 4:38 pm

I have FOUR words for you: can I have some?? Haha, these look delicious. Add maple to the list of “things go better with…” Mmm, it’s always a wonderful thing when you can make me actually CRAVE my veggies!

Elyses last blog post..A bread to bring you luck…

Lesley March 27, 2009 at 7:34 pm

Mmmm!! I love roasted veggies and the maple part makes them sound even better!

Lesleys last blog post..City Market

Darius T. Williams March 27, 2009 at 8:26 pm

Three words for you.

I. Want. Some.

Reeni March 27, 2009 at 9:25 pm

Maple roasted veggies sound so delicious and comforting.

Reenis last blog post..The Ultimate Fish Tacos & Creamy Ancho Chili Slaw

ttfn300 March 27, 2009 at 9:40 pm

roasting really does make everything better :) i tried some maple glazed turnips on my first try as well… i’ll stick to my other roots!!

ttfn300s last blog post..Not so much fresh

Ash March 28, 2009 at 9:45 am

I love maple syrup in dishes like this!!! The first time I had bacon and maple syrup I was in heaven!!

Ashs last blog post..morning goodness

Carolyn Jung March 29, 2009 at 1:18 pm

This reminds me of another Cuisine fave recipe I make all the time: glazed carrots with maple syrup. Even my niece, who hates veggies, will eat this dish. You just cook some chunks of carrots in a saute pan with water, butter, olive oil, salt, and maple syrup. By the time the water evaporates, and the carrots are tender, they get this beautiful sweet glaze on them from the maple syrup. Truly addicting!

Ashley April 1, 2009 at 11:40 am

Mmm I love roasted vegetables and I’m currently obsessed with maple so this sounds amazing! My favourite veggies to roast are beets, carrots and sweet potatoes.

Ashleys last blog post..Chocolate Dipped Cherry Shortbread

kelly May 3, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Mayple Syrup on roast vegetables sounds amazing. I am cooking a roast chicken tonight and now I know exactly what I am going to do with the veges!

Barbara Mack February 25, 2012 at 3:53 am

Y’all are missing one of the great dishes of all time by not adding butternut squash or acorn squash to the root vegetable mix. I also add just a dusting of Ceylon cinnamon, although I also love the sweeter Vietnamese cinnamon.