Baked Wonton Chips

by Cate on April 30, 2009

Baked Wonton Chips
One of our neighbors, who is expecting her second child this summer, has her gestational diabetes test coming up, and I promised not to tempt her with too many sweets until she passes the test.  So amongst the recent spate of cookie and cupcake madness, I sent some Baked Wonton Chips over her way too.

More times than not, if it comes down to choosing between a sweet or salty item, I tend to lean more towards the salt.  Although cupcakes may be an obvious exception, give me chips and dip over chocolate any day.  Now if I can find a way to have chips and dips and perhaps not worry about the grease and salt on top of it…?  Color me happy.  That’s why I love these Baked Wonton Chips.  They’re baked in the oven, so they’re the perfect guilt-free snack when you need a little crunch.

They are crazysimple to make and you’ll have them in the oven in less than five minutes.  And the best part is that you can totally mix up the flavors to suit your current craving.  Sometimes I do salt and pepper.  Sometimes Parmesan cheese.  Sometimes a smattering of herbs.  Sometimes all of them together.  Go crazy.  Whichever way you go, you can’t go wrong.

Baked Wonton Crisps
Recipe courtesy of Cate O’Malley

wonton wrappers (3-inch squares)
cooking spray
kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper
toppings of your choice (i.e., Parmesan cheese, herbs, sesame seeds)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray (i.e., Pam), and arrange the wonton wrappers on the sheet, making sure they don’t touch. Spray the tops of the wonton wrappers with cooking spray and then sprinkle with salt, pepper and toppings of your choice. Bake until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Remove the wonton crisps to a wire rack, and let cool.

Note:  You can usually find wonton wrappers in the (refrigerated) produce section of your local grocery store, near the herbs and sprouts and things.

Claire April 30, 2009 at 11:31 pm

You know, these look very similar to Stacy’s Pita Chips…so good!

Claires last blog post..Wwwwwwhat’s Up Doc!?

Cathy May 1, 2009 at 9:05 am

oooooooh I’m in. I would eat chips and dip every day of the week if I wasn’t so concerned about them going straight to my hips. Hubby is a sweets lover, I’m the savory or salty.

Cathys last blog post..Quick supper part 4,124

Joanne May 1, 2009 at 9:26 am

I bet these would also be great with some cinnamon sugar on top…you know, in case you ARE one of those people who are sugar-favorers.

Joannes last blog post..We Are Going To Play A Game…

Natasha - 5 Star Foodie May 1, 2009 at 9:42 am

Brilliant idea! My daughter would love love love these!!!

Natasha – 5 Star Foodies last blog post..Candied Tomatoes with Basil Cookies and Honey Greek Yogurt

Madeline May 1, 2009 at 1:50 pm

I think Darcy and I could share these! Thanks for posting it on FB so I wouldn’t miss it.

MaryBe May 1, 2009 at 2:01 pm

These get an ‘as easy as falling off a fence’ rating! And I would rather make these than fall off a fence, so I will do it this afternoon!
Thanks for posting them!

MaryBes last blog post..On Losing A Brother

Sarah Caron May 1, 2009 at 2:01 pm

Oooooh those look mmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmm good.

I tend to gravitate towards sweet items that are salty too (IE chocolate covered pretzels, toffee, etc)

But I could eat chips and dips tons too.

SuzyQ May 1, 2009 at 5:03 pm

I happened across this recipe right before I left for the grocery store today; couldn’t help myself and purchased a package of the wonton wrappers. Can’t wait to try these out–they look yummy!! And a whole lot less expensive than store-bought chips too.

Sarah May 1, 2009 at 5:43 pm

We made things like this (with sugar and cinnamon, doused with maple syrup) in Home Ec when I was in elementary school. Perfect crunch.

Sara May 1, 2009 at 11:17 pm

Awesome, and this is a great way to use leftover eggroll/wonton sheets.

Saras last blog post..R2R: Coq au Vin

Lori @ RecipeGirl May 2, 2009 at 12:32 am

I just saw something like this in the current Bon Appetit or Gourmet or something like that. Great idea. Sometimes I get the wrappers & make ravioli or filled wontons or something, and then I never know what to do w/ the leftover wrappers. This is a perfect idea!

Lori @ RecipeGirls last blog post..Mojito- Marinated Grilled Chicken

Cathy May 2, 2009 at 10:58 am

Made them last night – sea salt and then dipped them in dill pickle dip. Yum! I left you an award over on my blog :)

Cathys last blog post..2 awards

Michelle May 2, 2009 at 11:16 am

Great idea and so simple too! Thanks!

Michelles last blog post..TFF – Spinach Crepes

Magda May 2, 2009 at 11:47 am

I bought my wonton skins yesterday…I can’t wait to try them!

Scott at Realepicurean May 2, 2009 at 12:16 pm

Love the idea of the cinnamon sugar on these from the comment above…

Scott at Realepicureans last blog post..Swine Flu Outbreak Kills 80+

Cate May 2, 2009 at 11:46 pm

Claire – love those!

Scott – I totally agree, wonderful idea.

Magda – a slightly different bite than chips, but addicting nonetheless – hope you like them! (And you needed a malted milk ball break ;))

Michelle – no problem.

Cathy – sea salt is perfect – glad you liked them. :)

Lori – really? Will have to check it out. That’s exactly my problem too – always have leftover wonton wrappers from another recipe and they end up getting hard before I remember to find something to do with them. Problem solved. The next batch, I’m making your soup. :)

Sarah – mmm, love the thought of drizzling with maple syrup, or even honey!

Sarah C – eh, I’m a take it or leave it on the sweet and salty mix. One or the other. ;)

Suzy Q – definitely way cheaper.

Madeline – mine loves them too. Just watch the corner since they can be a little sharp for little ones. :)

Natasha – hope you like them!

Joanne – love the idea of cinnamon sugar. Reminds me of the shell that Chi Chis used to serve with their Fried Ice Cream. Speaking of which, would be fun to cut out shapes and stick into dishes of ice cream. Yum!

Krista May 3, 2009 at 12:39 am

I’m so glad that I found this post! I have leftover wonton wrappers in the fridge from some potstickers I made a while back. I need to use them. These look yummy! What a great idea!

Adrienne May 3, 2009 at 8:08 am

I’m so glad you stopped by my blog and opened a new door for me… I love recipes! The wonton chips look wonderful and easy too. Thanks for sharing…. I’ll be back to see your goodies again soon!

gaga May 3, 2009 at 1:37 pm

What a wonderful and easy idea. I’m going to make a batch of these for our next party, thanks!

gagas last blog post..Shrimp Bisque

hannah May 12, 2009 at 3:15 pm

these look delicious! I have to make them for a project in school. I chose them because they look easy yet yummy!

Elizabeth July 1, 2009 at 12:14 am

I was searching the web and found this. I was making fake ravioli with the skins and thought of this because I had seen versions of chinese chicken salads with the baked wonton strips.

The best about these is they come HOT right out of the oven. What a comfort feel you get from that regardless of the flavor. It has awesome appetizer possibilities for a party.

dre September 2, 2009 at 9:58 am

I molded these into a mini muffin pan – kinda like the tostitos scoops they sell – i served my ceviche in it – BIG hit at my party

Cate September 2, 2009 at 11:44 am

Elizabeth – ravioli! What a perfect idea!

Dre – I love the idea of making them into little cups – perfect hand-held little appy to pop in your mouth.

Hannah – hope you liked them!

Angie September 2, 2009 at 12:21 pm

These looks awesome! Will definitely try it! Thank you very much for the idea!

Len November 28, 2011 at 8:58 pm

I made these for a Thanksgiving appetizer along with a baked crab rangoon dip.. it was a big hit with everyone.. they couldnt stop eating it .. will make this again for any party..

Carey March 3, 2012 at 12:49 pm

And another little twist that I’ve tried is to make wonton cups. Use a mini muffin tin and push the squares of wonton until they make a small cup. Bake the same way. Fill with ahi tuna, chicken salad, guacamole, fruits – very impressive for company!