Recipe: Butter Pecan Fudge

by Cate on June 30, 2009

Butter Pecan Fudge

During the summers when we were kids, we spent a lot of time on the beaches of Cape May.  When we got there and headed for the boardwalk, my sister and I would make a beeline for our first fudge purchase.  A quarter-pound would last us all week, and we would each choose a different flavor and share.  Our favorites were the peanut butter and maple walnut varieties.  Finishing off the week with a little bit of obligatory salt water taffy, it made for some very sweet summer memories.  No pun intended.

I met up with an old high school friend at the farmer’s market last weekend, and that presented the perfect opportunity to try out a new recipe… to bring her sweet treats, of course!  When it comes to making candy or fudge, I pass by a lot of recipes, particularly the ones that require a candy thermometer.  I have one, somewhere, most likely buried in the drawer that holds kitchen gizmos that I’ll likely never use (note to self: that’s the next spot for the big purge).  It would probably take longer to find the thermometer than to actually make the recipe, and frankly, I can’t be bothered.  I want it quick.  And now.  It’s all about instant gratification these days, baby.

So when I spied an uber-easy recipe for Butter Pecan Fudge in a holiday issue of Taste of Home magazine that didn’t require the use of a candy thermometer, or any other fancy gadget for that matter, I was sold.  Seriously, the recipe took no longer than 10 minutes to make, start to finish.  It was all I could do to wait for it to set up.

About an hour later, I headed back to the kitchen to give it a try.  I cut off a small piece and popped it in my mouth.  Commence heavy swoonage.  As the sugary crystals quickly became heat-seeking missiles for any cavities I might have, I closed my eyes to savor the sweetness.  This one is a keeper.  It’s creamy.  It’s buttery.  It’s caramely.  It’s everything you want in a piece of fudge, and then some.

With ingredients you likely already have on hand in your very own kitchen, you are just a short hour (from beginning to the fudge setting) from savoring these babies in your own mouth.  What are you waiting for?

Butter Pecan Fudge
Recipe courtesy of Taste of Home Holidays 2007

• 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
  • 1 cup pecan halves, toasted and coarsely chopped

In a large heavy saucepan, combine the butter, sugars, cream and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Stir in confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Fold in pecans.

Spread into a buttered 8-in. square dish. Cool to room temperature. Cut into 1-in. squares. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: 1-1/4 pounds.

Tags: , ,

Sarah Caron June 30, 2009 at 10:40 pm

I have many fond memories of eating fudge from the Cape May boardwalk. What a wonderful way to create childhood memories.

Ooh, my mouth is watering and I am swooning at my computer. That is everything wonderful about fudge! And seriously, that recipe could single handedly ruin any hopes of dieting. Ever.

Starnesfam July 1, 2009 at 12:53 am

That seems too easy! I will try it soon.

PS – have made the meatloaf twice since you posted it. Husband loves it!

Janet July 1, 2009 at 2:02 am

Ok, okay…. my arm is twisting- okay, I’ll make it this week!! Geesh, what a girls gotta do… ;-)

Donna July 1, 2009 at 8:17 am

Oh this fudge sounds delicious. My memories of the boardwalk always include both fudge and salt water taffy.

Natasha - 5 Star Foodie July 1, 2009 at 8:26 am

What a nice memory and the fudge looks really good! I would love a taste!

Joanne July 1, 2009 at 8:37 am

My best memory of eating fudge is at Cape Cod with my best friend after taking the MCATs. That stuff is amazing! I also don’t have a candy thermometer, so I’m loving this recipe!

Rachel (S[d]OC) July 1, 2009 at 10:35 am

The candy thermometer is no fun. I agree. What says “soft ball” on the scale and making an actual soft ball are two different things.

Fudge is a seashore favorite though. Thanks for reminding me my own vacation is coming up in three weeks and I will be dutitfully filling up on fudge and saltwater taffy.

Patsy July 1, 2009 at 12:49 pm

I love fudge and whenever we are near the shore I like to get a bit to nibble on, too!

doggybloggy July 1, 2009 at 5:43 pm

ahhhhh memories – like the corners of my mind – misty watercolored memories…great fudge

Laura July 1, 2009 at 8:54 pm

looks delish

pamela July 1, 2009 at 10:23 pm

This looks SO GOOD. Once, in Cape May, I got this fudge that had a layer of caramel in the middle. I think it was a praline fudge of some sort. I’ve been searching for it ever since. But this one looks really, really wonderful.
P.S. I just LOVE Cape May!

noobcook July 2, 2009 at 11:58 pm

10 minutes, wow! love recipes like these. the fudge looks heavenly.

Magda July 3, 2009 at 12:10 pm

My best memory at Cape May were with you! Remember that store that had fabulous deals on sheets and housewares that you took me too? I still have them and they are still as soft as ever! Is that store still there??

Oh boy…that fudge looks good!

Kevin July 5, 2009 at 12:10 pm

That fudge looks good!

Katrina July 5, 2009 at 2:19 pm

I would LOVE this. My husband hates fudge. He’s just not a big sugary treats kind of guy–weirdo. This would be awesome to make for holidays to taste a few, then give away the rest! ;)

jessica July 6, 2009 at 11:50 am

I work at Bass Pecan Company visit our website http://www.basspecan.com where we are having a pecan recipe contest with a chance to win $1000.

lisaiscooking July 6, 2009 at 5:14 pm

Butter pecan – fudge? This could not be more perfect! I have to try this. Preferably now.

Sarah July 9, 2009 at 12:48 pm

This is the first recipe I’ve made the same day I saw it . This fudge is ridiculously easy, and oh so gooood!! It got rave reviews from everyone that tried it. This is a real winner, I’ll definitely be making it again!

I put a long piece of parchment (buttered) in the pan so I could easily remove the fudge for cutting, and it worked great.

Thanks Cate!

Donna D. December 22, 2009 at 4:46 pm

This recipe was “reposted” in the Taste of Home Christmas Cookie edition. I’m a huge fudge fan and this was extremely easy and turned out GREAT. I will definately make this again!

Elizabeth Pratt November 5, 2010 at 10:42 am

Even after 30 years I miss the Jersey shore. I order salt water taffy n fudge from James over the internet. I intend to make this today, so ty ty ty for a great recipe.

Brandi December 2, 2010 at 11:43 pm

Would it hurt for this fudge to be stored in a closed tin container at room temperature? I’ve made these before and they were super good.