Toffee Crack

by Cate on June 11, 2009

Toffee Crack

Yesterday I ran into the grocery store to grab a few items after work.  I forgot light bulbs.  You’d think the fact that two out of three bulbs in the kitchen were out would have been enough to remember, but it wasn’t.  So after dinner, I decided the kids and I would walk to the grocery store to get the light bulbs.  It was perfect walking temperature, we got exercise and yes, I got my light bulbs.  On the way down, we dropped off a CARE package of Toffee Crack to neighbors.

This recipe has been floating around for probably nearly as long as Monkey Munch.  I first had it about six years ago at an office potluck.  One of the employee’s wives made it and it was gobbled up in no time flat.  Everyone oohed and ahhed once they saw how easy the recipe was and it quickly made the rounds.

Around here, a box of Saltines doesn’t last very long, so I had to hide a sleeve for the recipe.  Madeline and Nick both devour them.  Something I don’t begin to understand.  A plain Saltine is pretty flavorless, if you ask me, but it makes them happy. I, on the other hand, love them with an ultra-thin layer of soft butter and a nice slice of sharp Cheddar.

Toffee Crack (and I’m trying to remember the other name the sweet treat went by, but you know, that whole memory thing…) is crazy simple to make and a tasty disguise for the standard Saltine.  I don’t know if I’d go so far as to use the word toffee when describing the overall taste, because I think the chocolate tends to take center stage.  No matter what you call it, it’s something different that satisfies a sweet craving … and then some.

Toffee Crack
Recipe courtesy of Joy’s Hope

One sleeve of saltines
One stick of butter
One cup brown sugar
One bag chocolate chips

Line cookie sheet with saltines.  Melt butter in pan.  Add brown sugar and stir until slightly caramelized.  Pour over saltines and spread until evenly coated.  Cook at 350 for 5 minutes.  Take out of oven and pour chocolate chips on top.  Spread over the toffee as they melt.  Stick in fridge to set.  Break into pieces and enjoy.

*Although the recipe doesn’t note it, I’d suggest keeping the toffee crack in the fridge.  With the weather being so warm, the chocolate is just safer that way.

debbie June 11, 2009 at 9:41 pm

This is a standard Passover treat, when made with matzo! Much too dangerous to make more than once a year, though.

debbies last blog post..Parents Need to Eat, Too: New Series of Classes Starts in July

doggybloggy June 11, 2009 at 10:21 pm

this is the coolest – simplest recipe ever – I have all that stuff and I could make this right this second! thanks

doggybloggys last blog post..flavor town

Kalyn June 12, 2009 at 12:12 am

I am covering my eyes!

Kalyns last blog post..Greek-Seasoned Grilled Pork Chops Recipe with Lemon and Oregano

Betsy June 12, 2009 at 12:25 am

I’ ve had something similar but with graham crackers. I know I couldn’t stop eating it.

Beverly Mills June 12, 2009 at 12:44 am

You can substitute graham crackers for the saltines and it’s a yummy variation.

Beverly Millss last blog post..Change is Hard When Birdies Fly

Claire June 12, 2009 at 12:56 am

Um…yeah! Honestly, ANYTHING toffee could be toffee crack! I used to love the version of this made with graham crackers, but they’ve changed the graham cracker recipe and it just doesn’t work right anymore. These are SO good! I have a recipe I’m going to post soon (from Peabody) this is VERY reminiscent of this but using a crust instead of crackers (or even real toffee).

Claires last blog post..Get This Outa My House!

Cyndi June 12, 2009 at 1:12 am

It’s also called White Trash Toffee and Ghetto Toffee LOL.

Janet June 12, 2009 at 3:08 am

Wow… ingredients I already have~ sweet! I gotta be careful coming over here… ;-)

Janets last blog post..Spicy Grilled Cilantro Lime Coconut Shrimp with Orange and Coconut Milk Rice

Jess June 12, 2009 at 6:50 am

How DO you know my weaknesses???

Jesss last blog post..Worless Wednesday: Summer Has Arrived

Joanne June 12, 2009 at 8:57 am

I can’t believe how few ingredients are in this! This is perfect for snacking or even setting out for company instead of M+Ms or other candies.

Joannes last blog post..Linguine with Red Peppers, Green Onions, and Pine Nuts

Cathy June 12, 2009 at 9:07 am

Speaking of memory, your post reminded me I desperately need a light bulb for my dining room light – before my company comes tonight. Yep – going on 2 weeks now….

Cathys last blog post..almost done…..

Debbie June 12, 2009 at 10:05 am

Oh that looks so addicting! I don’t think I could stop eating those!

Debbies last blog post..Cherry Bars

Kris #40 June 12, 2009 at 10:14 am

mmmm! We call them “Can’t Eat Just One”

Natasha - 5 Star Foodie June 12, 2009 at 10:55 am

I would totally be addicted to those! Delicious sweet treats!

Natasha – 5 Star Foodies last blog post..Tempura Fried Purple Asparagus with Wasabi-Tarragon Mayo

leslie June 12, 2009 at 2:35 pm

CRACK indeed!

Jackie @ PhamFatale.com June 12, 2009 at 2:41 pm

Agreed. i usually make this after I make matzo ball soup. I always get extra saltines but I sprinkle crushed nuts on top while the chocolate is still melted.

Jackie @ PhamFatale.coms last blog post..Asparagus Risotto Recipe

Amanda Nicole June 12, 2009 at 11:20 pm

This one’s going straight to my xmas gifts folder – imagine a stack of these pieces tied nicely with butcher’s twine or a ribbon? Lovely.

Amanda Nicoles last blog post..shiny shops: gillian bates

Bridgett June 13, 2009 at 1:09 am

Oh wow, I could easily get hooked on this!

ttfn300 June 13, 2009 at 9:07 am

i always enjoyed my saltines w/pb :) but this is amazing!!

ttfn300s last blog post..Mexican Slaw

jan June 13, 2009 at 11:16 am

now if I made ‘tijuana train-wreck’ in the crockpot and had a bowl of “crack” on the table, I’d have some happy guests. Maybe a bowl in the guest room would be a nice idea? (of course nobody would leave)

sarah caron June 13, 2009 at 4:15 pm

Oooooooooooooh. That just sounds so delish. I am going to have to give it a try

Amber June 14, 2009 at 4:18 am

So yummy!

foodcreate June 14, 2009 at 2:11 pm

This is one of the most delicious recipe Perfect summer treat:)

Thanks for sharing your recipe:)

And your can visit me if I can visit you:)

Welcome!
http:foodcreate.com

Angie June 15, 2009 at 2:53 am

Oh my, this is fabulous! It was just the pick-me-up my family needed for our rainy weekend. Thank you!

Angies last blog post..Day Off: Rainy Day Pick-Me-Up

Lori @ RecipeGirl June 15, 2009 at 10:00 am

I’ve gotta try me some toffee crack! Sounds very interesting & tempting. How come neighbors never drop food my way??

I have to admit that I’m a little addicted to saltines too, despite their cardboard, blah nature. Once I nibble one, I’m scarfing a whole sleeve.

Lori @ RecipeGirls last blog post..Fudgy Kahlua Brownies with Browned Butter Icing

Ramona June 15, 2009 at 10:29 am

I saw Paula Deen make these on TV. They look good. I think I would like them with graham crackers too.

Ramonas last blog post..Easy Raspberry (Blackberry) Buttermilk Cake

pamela June 16, 2009 at 8:52 pm

Whatever name it goes by…this stuff is damn good and seriously dangerous. I’ve been known to make trips to the basement freezer at Christmas time…just to sneak a piece!! Love it!

pamelas last blog post..TWD–Honey Peach Ice Cream

noobcook June 17, 2009 at 2:33 am

Great looking dessert! I’m drooling hehe

Katrina June 17, 2009 at 5:15 pm

Love this stuff, heard about it for the first time over the last holidays and made it a few times. It’s scary and addicting and I can see why it’s called Crack! Yum!

Katrinas last blog post..TWD–Honey Almond Ice Cream with Peach Crisp