Oven-Barbecued Brisket

by Cate on July 16, 2009

Brisket

Unless you’re vegetarian, I don’t know how you can look at that picture and not want it.  Like right now.  From the juicy melt-in-your-mouth bites to the tangy sweet barbecue sauce.  Triple yum.  Brisket is definitely one of my favorite cuts of meat.  And, to be quite honest, that’s saying a lot because I know very little about cuts of meat.  What I do know about brisket is that it benefits from low and slow cooking.  And a light hand with seasonings and such.  And doesn’t need much in the way of babysitting.  And gives great rewards.  And, really, after you know all that, what else is there?

I have several go-to brisket recipes, and they all take very little in the way of prep time or ingredients, and by the end of a few uninterrupted hours in the oven, you’ll be oohing and aahing over the most tender meat imaginable.  Like just-falls-apart tender.

These days, now that summer seems to be finally rearing her hot and humid head, I’m all about getting in and out of the kitchen.  The kitchen, quite frankly, is a square little sweatbox.  Our handyman says I outsmarted myself last year by closing off a wall in the kitchen.  I hate admitting that he’s right, but while adding that wall gave me extra much-needed cabinets and counterspace, it severely closed off the air flow in the kitchen.  All the more reason for easy and delicious dinners that keep me out of the sweatbox.

Sometimes I do an overnight brisket.  Nothing like waking up to that deliciousness in the morning.  But recently I was looking to try something a little different, and went by way of this recipe that I found on The Perfect Pantry’s website.  I tinkered with the ingredients a bit, mostly to use what I had on hand to save an extra trip to the grocery store, but brisket is fairly forgiving, so all’s good.

The reward just a few hours later?  Tender, juicy little morsels that just melt in your mouth.  You’ll be oohing and aahing loud enough that they’ll hear in the next room.  But don’t be too loud.  Because then you’ll have to share.

Sarah Caron July 16, 2009 at 10:04 pm

Ok, so I was reading the comments on here and glanced to the right and saw the thumbnail of this (and I may or may not have felt a little drool slip from my mouth) and thought, whatever that is, I want it. That looks amazing. And if it’s a recipe from Lydia it has to be good.

Totally mouthwatering …

chocolate shavings July 16, 2009 at 11:10 pm

I couldn’t agree more. I want a bite and I just finished dinner!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) July 17, 2009 at 12:01 am

I’m so glad you liked this brisket — it is one of my all-time favorites. No matter how many pounds I make, for how many people, I never have any leftovers.

Joanne July 17, 2009 at 7:22 am

I know so very little about meat as well but I know that I LOVE brisket. I’ve only ever had it on sandwiches from this little Jewish deli in Queens. Yours looks so mouth-watering that I think I have to give it a try. Do you think it could be done in a slow cooker?

Cathy July 17, 2009 at 9:04 am

Brisket for whatever reason, is extremely difficult to find in Calgary. I’ll keep looking though so I can try this – the picture is droolworthy.

zoe July 17, 2009 at 12:10 pm

Hi! first time here. That brisket looks to die for, I must make it tonite!

Patsy July 17, 2009 at 12:40 pm

You photo certainly makes me want to pick up brisket when I go shopping this weekend! That would make fantastic sandwiches!

Melanie July 17, 2009 at 3:04 pm

You had me at the picture. I’m determined to make it soon for all the reasons you listed.

leslie July 17, 2009 at 4:43 pm

Ohhhh my!! Brisket is soooo delish!

Jeff July 19, 2009 at 8:21 pm

I normally do mine on the smoker but I love the idea of the oven especially since the winter comes and I still crave brisket.

Nicely done!

Sara July 21, 2009 at 12:57 pm

Love a good brisket, in the oven or from the smoker. It is always so satisfying.

Stovetop Smoker November 8, 2009 at 9:16 pm

I love brisket as well with a gravy potatoe pancakes and sour cream and red cabbage on the side.
Jeff