Lenten Meals: Tuna Cakes

by Cate on February 22, 2010

Tuna Cakes

“What’s for dinner tonight?” Nick asked as I started pulling the ingredients out to start cooking.

“Tuna Cakes.”

“Ick.  I’ll have leftovers.”

“No.  You’ll try the Tuna Cakes.  If you don’t like them, then you can find something else on your own.”

He ended up making himself a PB&J.  He had already made up his mind that he wouldn’t like them before he even half-heartedly took a bite, and earned himself a lecture as a result.  He has to try one bite, which he knows, but with an open mind.  And he didn’t with these on Friday night, which is why he was left to his own devices.  Madeline picked up the slack though, eating half of one like a champ.

During Lent, we’re not supposed to eat meat on Fridays.  I always find it hard to reprogram myself for this every year.  Invariably, I’m mid-bite of lunch before I realize, shoot, I’m not supposed to be eating this.  This past Friday was no exception.  Of course I can easily plan a day’s menu with no meat; for me, it’s remembering to plan ahead and not just eat on the fly.  That’s when I forget.

So when I saw this recipe for Tuna Cakes in a recent issue of Kraft’s Food & Family, I figured it would be perfect for dinner.  Well, for those of us that tried it anyway.  A few simple ingredients that you just might have on hand already gets shaped into tasty little tuna cakes that are perfect for a light lunch or dinner.  I served them with a little bit of mayonnaise and spicy mustard mixed together as a dipping sauce.  I bet these would be great in a sandwich with a little melted cheese.  Lent or not.

Project 365
February 22, 2010, Photo #52

Inside the Backpack

When I peeked into Madeline’s backpack to see what she was carting around with her, it was her Princess heels.  I cracked up.  Kind of reminded me of a single girl’s to-go bag.  You know, when you’re heading out on a date with your guy, grab a lipstick and some heels and you’re ready for wherever the night takes you.  Madeline is clearly ready.  For anything.  I’m honestly not a big fan of these types of shoes (she got three pairs for Christmas).  I just think they’re not the safest things for little kids to be toddling around on, but she does love them, and I’ve got to say, she walks better in heels than some adults I know.

High-Heeled Princess

Playing House

Tuna Cakes
Recipe courtesy of Kraft Foods

2 cans (6 oz. each) light tuna in water, drained, flaked
1 pkg. (6 oz.) STOVE TOP Stuffing Mix for Chicken
1 cup KRAFT Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese (I used sharp)
3/4 cup water
1 carrot, shredded
1/3 cup KRAFT Real Mayo Mayonnaise
2 Tbsp. CLAUSSEN Sweet Pickle Relish

MIX all ingredients. Refrigerate 10 min. HEAT large nonstick skillet sprayed with cooking spray on medium heat. Use ice cream scoop to add 1/3-cup portions of tuna mixture, in batches, to skillet. FLATTEN into patties with back of spatula. Cook 6 min. or until golden brown on both sides, carefully turning patties over after 3 min.

Six servings. Per servings: 320 calories, 17g fat, 19g fiber

mandy February 22, 2010 at 10:34 pm

The tuna cakes sound really good. As someone who hasn’t been eating a whole lot of red meat lately, this is a great recipe to try. (Though if I were a kid like nick, I probably would have done the same thing.) =)

Claire February 22, 2010 at 11:30 pm

This reminds me of a sandwich my grandmother made. I don’t know the exact recipe but I know it was tuna, pickles, and cheddar cheese. You then put the mixture in a bun, wrapped the bun in aluminum foil and bake for probably 15-20 minutes. SO good!

I LOVE Maddie’s shoes…she is truly a girl at heart, isn’t she?!

5 Star Foodie February 23, 2010 at 1:14 am

The tuna cakes are a great idea! I know my daughter would like it – she loves all “cakes” whether savory or sweet :)

Joanne February 23, 2010 at 7:11 am

I used to celebrate lent, and when I did it was absolutely impossible for me to remember not to eat meat. I swear that I would eat vegetarian all week without even having to think about it but then of course on friday I would be picking up that turkey sandwich. Lol.

My parents used to go for pizza on Fridays just to avoid thinking about meat-free meals. These look like a much more delicious option.

Cathy February 23, 2010 at 10:28 am

I’m horrid when it comes to lent……..like you it’s usually mid-bite before I realize…crap…it’s meat. These look delicious!

Ramona February 23, 2010 at 10:38 am

They sound good. She’s so cute in her heels. A definite princess.

Laura February 23, 2010 at 11:21 am

sound delish…we are big fans of salmon cakes in household

Karen February 23, 2010 at 11:43 am

Sounds good to me. We do salmon cakes pretty often and these sound like a great change.

Heather February 23, 2010 at 1:53 pm

This recipe is really good – I’ve had it many times. Not to rain on your parade, but the Stove Top has dehydrated chicken and chicken broth…would you count that as eating meat? My mom would freak out and never serve it on Friday during lent again. Me, I’m of the mindset that if it tastes good, and my husband doesn’t realize it’s meat, I’ll serve it!

Barbara February 23, 2010 at 4:34 pm

My mother used to make salmon cakes…don’t know why I couldn’t substitute that. I really don’t like tuna much. (just looked up at your other comments and saw salmon cakes all over the place. funny!)

grace February 24, 2010 at 7:18 pm

niiiiice shoes!
if ever i’m gonna eat a serving of tuna, i want it to be prepared like this–nice recipe!

papawow February 26, 2010 at 1:27 am

A poor-man’s crab cakes! I’ve got to try these…

Ty September 2, 2010 at 8:17 pm

You can use crushed saltine crackers instead of stuffing mix so there is no chicken products.